"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

My boyfriend the non-cook.

My boyfriend moderately would like to learn to cook, but he is not overly talented with minuet tasks as well has very little heart for cooking. I am in need of an exciting beginners cookbook for him that he will want to cook out of regularly. It would also be helpful if the recipes are easy and require limited knowledge of cooking techniques and limited recipe items. I know he can become a good cook, he just needs a starting point.

Bring on the cookbook suggestions.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Cook

how about Good Eats show? Alton Brown is a man and a very nerdy man so I think he can pertain to guy's cooking and learning style very well

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
how about Good Eats show? Alton Brown is a man and a very nerdy man so I think he can pertain to guy's cooking and learning style very well
well there are like 2 or 3 episodes for dude cooking....I know there is a breakfast one and I dinner one for sure (have them on my hard drive so I just checked) so yeah, those would be a good place to start.

I'd think about the sorta food he digs and find recipes from trusted sources on the web. The key thing is, he wants to learn so really sit down with him and help him figure out what he wants to learn.

or do what I did growing up..go to the kitchen, pull out whatever sounds interesting and just put things together...half the time it didn't work but I believe I learned faster that way.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

my wife really likes the rachael ray cookbooks "30 minute meals" and "30 minute meals 2".

simple, straightforward recipes designed for those without a lot of time to cook, and because of that they are easy to make.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebdaniel View Post
My boyfriend moderately would like to learn to cook, but he is not overly talented with minuet tasks as well has very little heart for cooking. I am in need of an exciting beginners cookbook for him that he will want to cook out of regularly. It would also be helpful if the recipes are easy and require limited knowledge of cooking techniques and limited recipe items. I know he can become a good cook, he just needs a starting point.

Bring on the cookbook suggestions.
No cookbook leads someone with little heart for cooking to beginner. Start him out with boiling water. Just kidding.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Good idea. See if you can get the DVDs if you can't find them on TV or online. Try something like Steak Your Claim which is all about beef and steaks.

What are some of his favorite foods or meals? There is sure to be a GE episode that relates to one of them that might inspire him.