"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
Fondue can be fun, it gets peoploe dipping into delicious Swiss Gruyere with bits of meat or whatever, and fondue rather gets people loosened up and more chatty. That Swiss steak idea with the potaoes does sound very nice, must say. :)

And welcome to DC. I hope you stick around. People are really nice here.

Linux.
Not to mention the rule about having to kiss the person next to you if you drop your food in the pot.

My freind brought me a gold eldelweiss embellished fondue pot from switzerland on his last trip to visit his parents.One of my favorite possesions!I own 5 fondue sets I think.

He says a lot people dunk the bread in a little Kirshwasser before dipping into the cheese.I pour some shots of it when I make fondue for him.Sip and Dunk!
Repeat!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the ideas, there are some great ones. However, some aren't going to work. Its way to hot and muggy outside for a picnik, also money is a little tight so catering is out. She does know im using her kitchen, i've cooked in it before, just with lackluster results. She is also coming home kinda late tonight.

I going to look into the swiss steak idea, see if i can do that

Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Most grocery stores have a section of pre-cooked foods near the deli. Pick up some stuffed chicken breasts, a pasta salad, buy some fruit and cheese for dessert and maybe a bottle of wine if you can afford it. If she is the woman you say she is(after all she did save your behind, did she not?) then she will love the fact that you thought of her enough to try to please her. Don't try to compete with her.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

I taught a 16 year old to make a really nice meal, in his kitchen, for his family, on the cheap, with no cast iron, one knife that I had to hone on the back of another steel knife, and an electric stove I'd never cooked on. And it was easy. He made pita pocket sandwiches that everyone in the house was amazed with. It was a little elegant, and very unique for the household. Here's what I did, and you can do as well, without the perfect equipment. But first, get her permission to use the kitchen. The only thing you will cook is sirloin steak.

Ingredients:
1 half inch thick sirloin steak, well marbled from your meat market, or talk to the butcher at the grocery store and ask for help selecting one good sirloin.

*1 Haas avocado. It's ripe when there is slight give when gently pressing the fruit.
*1 package bean sprouts
*1 package pita pocket bread
*Mayonaise
*Salt
*Pepper
*Brown spicy mustard
Cooking oil

Heat two tbs. cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the steak and stab it all over with a fork to tenderize. Place the steak into the hot pan and cook for two and a half minutes on each side. Remove the steak from the heat to a platter and turn off the stove. Prepare the pita pockets by slicing in half, and then splitting through the middle of the bread to form a pocket. Using your sharp knife, slice the avocado lengthwise all the way around. Twist the two halves to separate them from each other. Use a spoon to remove the avocado meat from the peeling. Slice into thin slices. Look at the steak. You will notice a natural grain in the meat. Clean the knife and place the cutting edge to cut sideways to the meat grain. Hold the knife an a 45 degree angle and slice into thin slices. Spread mayo and mustard inside the pita bread. Fill with slices of meat, avocado, and bean sprouts. You might want to substitute A1 sauce for the mustard, depending on her tastes. Serve with her favorite beverage, and slices of fresh fruit, or yogurt for desert. Cottage cheese would be a good side with this sandwich.

Yes, cast iron is ideal. But I have successfully made great steaks on worn out, warped, flimsy aluminum pans. Heat is heat. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Master Chef

I bet you did something to that AC just to move in with your girl friend.

Sory, couldn't stop my self. I think steak and potato, maybe with some green beans on the side plus a bottle of wine and candles is plenty romantic. Considering you do not feel comfortable inside the kitchen. Don't be so hard on you. The less is more.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Not to mention the rule about having to kiss the person next to you if you drop your food in the pot.
In my book, there are no rules about having to kiss the person next to me unless I am enjoying their food, dropped from their vertical position to my horizontal.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Well im back home now, the weather is cool enough finally that i dont need AC. As for the dinner i went with breaded porkchops, greenbeans, and baked potatos. Simple and she loved it. Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 10-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
Master Chef

If your girlfriend likes shellfish, you can buy some pretty darned good quality IQF cooked shrimp. Just thaw it and present it in a half avocado or cupped lettuce leaf with a vinegar and oil type dressing (many on the market). For a starch, go to the rice section of your grocery store and find Near East brand couscous or taboule. All you need to do is boil water and pour it over the mix. This is my "go to" starch when my (not air conditioned) kitchen is unbearable hot. You can eat the couscous hot or cold, the taboule cold. Then I would go with something fruit-based for the desert.