Need help partners eating restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael8

Assistant Cook
Hi, hope this is in the right place? I'm looking for some new recipes to make that my partner can enjoy, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! She doesn't eat meat except seafood, cannot eat dairy (occasional small amounts ok). Cannot eat starchy things like bread/pasta/rice or potatos. Getting tired of eating the same thing all the time , please any help would be great.

I try not to eat too much meat and dairy so end up eating lots of pulses, sometimes make them into a salad and sometimes a stew.

Pumpernickel is a good alternative to bread, I find the taste is too strong so buy a light rye version and toast it to take the edge off.
I make lots of dips and spreads at home.

To be honest I don't get bored of eating like this because for me it's a choice and not something I'm forced to do. I love thai food so use a lot of thai recipes and adapt them.

Sounds like you could use some great seafood/fish recipes and vegetarian recipes, minus any dairy and starchy foods, yes?
Can she eat beans or eggs?

Thanks guys, to be more specific she cannot eat several things due to ibs and she is a vegetarian by choice. Yes mostly looking for seafood / vege dishes . Also finding it difficult to come up with sides or alternatives to rice or pasta, have tried quinoa but wasn't too keen on it.

Thanks guys, to be more specific she cannot eat several things due to ibs and she is a vegetarian by choice. Yes mostly looking for seafood / vege dishes . Also finding it difficult to come up with sides or alternatives to rice or pasta, have tried quinoa but wasn't too keen on it.

You can make kasha aka buckwheat groats as a side dish. It's delicious mixed with sauteed garlic and onions. Toast it first in a dry pan, then add it to boiling liquid, either broth or water - I prefer broth - it adds more taste. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed.

merstar said:
Sounds like you could use some great seafood/fish recipes and vegetarian recipes, minus any dairy and starchy foods, yes?
Can she eat beans or eggs?

Beans are ok and unfortunately she doesn't really like eggs much but it's ok if they are in things ( patties etc)

Michael8 said:
Beans are ok and unfortunately she doesn't really like eggs much but it's ok if they are in things ( patties etc)

And yes that's exactly what kinda recipes I need

What type of fish are you interested in? I have some great recipes for salmon, rainbow trout, shrimp, red snapper, and mussels.

I also have a few vegetarian recipes without starches or dairy, such as Vegetable Chili, Chickpea Stew, and Vegetarian Tortilla Soup. The Tortilla Soup uses corn tortillas - Can she have corn?

Also, check out my previous post about kasha as a side dish.

Last edited:
merstar said:
What type of fish are you interested in? I have some great recipes for salmon, rainbow trout, shrimp, red snapper, and mussels.

I also have a few vegetarian recipes without starches or dairy, such as Vegetable Chili, Chickpea Stew, and Vegetarian Tortilla Soup. The Tortilla Soup uses corn tortillas - Can she have corn?

Yes corn is fine and any type of seafood is fine, have done a few vegetable stews and curries but they feel a bit lacking without the rice or alternative to serve them up on. Really need something that is stand alone if going for that kind of dish. The tortilla soup sounds interesting if not just because I've never heard of it :)

Hi Micheal :)
This is a tough one! I have IBS and I can give you some suggestions but the triggers are different for some IBS patients.
I use sweet potato instead of potato even for making chips.
100% Rye bread of pumpernickle instead of regular bread.
Goats milk dairy products since they are easier to digest.
Basmati rice
Rice Noodles intead of pasta
Lentils are easier on the digestion than beans and can be used for many dishes. Curries, binder for fishcakes or cooked as your starch component to a meal.
I avoid raw onion, raw peppers, green peppers I don't eat at all!, remove the skins from cucumber and the seeds, raw cabbage etc. These cause terrible discomfort.
You can also use bulgar wheat, whole sorghum or barley as a starch.
Beetroot is very gentle on the stomach so I use those a lot.
You can make roots mash as a side dish using sweet potato, turnip, butternuts etc, instead of potatoes. All of these make great fries.
Butternut is good baked with garlic, black pepper and olive oil as a savoury dish.
You can make fish stews with veggies and serve with basmati or rye bread.
You could make fish or seafood parcels with fresh veggies of choice.
Blending cooked lentils and fish with spices and one egg make a good fishcake. You could use rice flour and crushed corn flakes for a crumbed coating.
White sweet potatoes are not very sweet so they make a good topping for fish pie.
I could give many ideas but it's difficult if you don't know exactly what a persons dietary needs are.
I use medication for my IBS so I don't restrict my diet as much and I still eat the foods I know I shouldn't sometimes and just deal with the discomfort. I don't have the willpower to cut out all of the things I love from my diet.
I hope some of this helps

Snip 13 said:
Hi Micheal :)
This is a tough one! I have IBS and I can give you some suggestions but the triggers are different for some IBS patients.
I use sweet potato instead of potato even for making chips.
100% Rye bread of pumpernickle instead of regular bread.
Goats milk dairy products since they are easier to digest.
Basmati rice
Rice Noodles intead of pasta
Lentils are easier on the digestion than beans and can be used for many dishes. Curries, binder for fishcakes or cooked as your starch component to a meal.
I avoid raw onion, raw peppers, green peppers I don't eat at all!, remove the skins from cucumber and the seeds, raw cabbage etc. These cause terrible discomfort.
You can also use bulgar wheat, whole sorghum or barley as a starch.
Beetroot is very gentle on the stomach so I use those a lot.
You can make roots mash as a side dish using sweet potato, turnip, butternuts etc, instead of potatoes. All of these make great fries.
Butternut is good baked with garlic, black pepper and olive oil as a savoury dish.
You can make fish stews with veggies and serve with basmati or rye bread.
You could make fish or seafood parcels with fresh veggies of choice.
Blending cooked lentils and fish with spices and one egg make a good fishcake. You could use rice flour and crushed corn flakes for a crumbed coating.
White sweet potatoes are not very sweet so they make a good topping for fish pie.
I could give many ideas but it's difficult if you don't know exactly what a persons dietary needs are.
I use medication for my IBS so I don't restrict my diet as much and I still eat the foods I know I shouldn't sometimes and just deal with the discomfort. I don't have the willpower to cut out all of the things I love from my diet.
I hope some of this helps

Thank you for the suggestions snip, my partner has no problems with peppers or cucumber but almost anything rice based will cause problems , the savory butternut pumpkin sounds really good and must try the white sweet potato for pies! The problem is I guess that there is only so many types of fish cake and vegetable stews to do if you know what I mean ! Have had some success with chickpea and pumpkin patties but did find them slightly tasteless

Thank you for the suggestions snip, my partner has no problems with peppers or cucumber but almost anything rice based will cause problems , the savory butternut pumpkin sounds really good and must try the white sweet potato for pies! The problem is I guess that there is only so many types of fish cake and vegetable stews to do if you know what I mean ! Have had some success with chickpea and pumpkin patties but did find them slightly tasteless

I would say get yourself a good seafood cooking book!
You can make so many dishes with fish and veg alone!
You could also try stuffing gem squash, zuchini, aubergine etc. with things like tuna mixed with good tomato based pasta sauce and topping with crunchy topping or goatsmilk cheese and baking till golden.
Butternuts are also good with spinach and feta stuffing or just use your imagination!
She's a lucky girl, you're quite the gentlemen to cater for all her needs :)

Yes corn is fine and any type of seafood is fine, have done a few vegetable stews and curries but they feel a bit lacking without the rice or alternative to serve them up on. Really need something that is stand alone if going for that kind of dish. The tortilla soup sounds interesting if not just because I've never heard of it :)

Here's the Tortilla Soup recipe: (I use extra garlic, onions, spices, etc.)
VEGETARIAN TORTILLA SOUP
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/4421

Have you tried things like parsnip etc puree or mashed root veg, What about beans? Israeli couscous is pasta, but very light (at least to me).

Back
Top Bottom