"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sorry, Tom...my brain sees Liver and automatically adds Onion and bacon...and how much bacon I can get away with cooking and eating...I can eat fried liver until it comes out my ears.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
For real though, I live it just dredged in seasoned flour(s+p, granulated garlic, a little thyme, and paprika), a MUST(for me) Seared off in clarified butter(butter makes a WOLD of difference over veg oil), add in 2 crushed garlic cloves, de-glaze with Sherry, and over a bed of baby spinach. Let the carry over heat wilt the spinach. A side of sun-dried tomato tapenade, or even made into a vinaigrette. The earthiness of the sun-dried tomatoes plays nice with the richness, and earthiness of the liver.

Of course, you could do the same preparation as above, but gently wilt the spinach in the same pan after the liver is out, and just plate a nice portion of garlic smashed spuds.
I'm dang near swooning here TaTT
That sounds just deliriously deeeelicious!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
mmm, sounds good cws, thanks. i make a pork tenderloin recipe very similarly. i think it could work with liver.
We used to make pork roast in a similar way in a clay cooker.

1. Soak the clay cooker per manufacturer's instructions.
2. Rub favorite mustard all over the roast.
3. Roll in flour to which S&P, garlic powder were added.
4. Brown roast in lard.
5. Put roast in cooker.
6. Add about 1 c plumped raisins, apple slices, onion.
7. Drown roast in beer (1 bottle).
8. Add apple juice or apple cider-about a cup or so.
9. Put cover on and cook at 325 until tender.
10. Make a gravy from the juices.

I have the recipe written down, but I made it almost every Sunday for 6 months, so I think I haven't forgotten anything.

Serve with boiled potatoes, red cabbage (cooked--I think TL's and Steve K.'s recipes for this are pretty close to the way we made it--we did add caraway seeds--and their recipes are posted), and a green veggie.

PS--the roasts were never over 4 lb. This was in Germany--we did not consume the same size portions of meat there that my family in the States would cook and eat.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
Master Chef

Make Beef Strogonoff out of liver. So it would actually be Liver Strogonoff.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Chief, I'm going to have to give your liver pate a try. Sounds like much less work than mine.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #26
Head Chef

I always try and buy fresh liver (they usually sell calves liver), but for those times when the store is out or I'm not in the mood to drive to the supermarket (and feel like having liver and onions), I was thinking of buying frozen calves or beef liver slices. I was just wondering if anyone has bought frozen liver. I'm not sure, but I think the frozen liver at the store is beef liver and not labeled calves liver.

What's the difference between calves liver an beef liver? Taste wise and all.

One thing I notice about fresh liver for sale is, it's not as neatly cut...it's kind of all over the place shape wise. The frozen liver however looks all neat and tidy formed. Is that because it's beef liver and not calves liver?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Chief, I'm going to have to give your liver pate a try. Sounds like much less work than mine.
TL, the beauty of my method is that you can make it, and adjust everything as you go. If you want it smoother, creamier, add more fat, and process longer. If you want the flavor more rich, add a bit of chicken stock, or more thyme. Just remember the cardinal rule of cooking, if it needs more of something, you can add more. But once it's in the dish, you can't take it out. So go slowly, and allow time for the flavors to meld.

This pate' is easier to make while everything is still warm. When you chill it, it firms up.

A couple we have New Years Eve dinner with every year, brought some store-bought pate' in cans. There were two different liver varieties. We tried both of them with crackers. They were horrible. We ended up throwing them away after a couple bites. Fortunately, I had made some up with chicken livers. The wife of the couple was astounded that I could make pate', from scratch. It's not hard to do. Think of liverwurst, and the flavors you taste when you eat it. Go from there. Just make it creamier in texture.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I always try and buy fresh liver (they usually sell calves liver), but for those times when the store is out or I'm not in the mood to drive to the supermarket (and feel like having liver and onions), I was thinking of buying frozen calves or beef liver slices. I was just wondering if anyone has bought frozen liver. I'm not sure, but I think the frozen liver at the store is beef liver and not labeled calves liver.

What's the difference between calves liver an beef liver? Taste wise and all.

One thing I notice about fresh liver for sale is, it's not as neatly cut...it's kind of all over the place shape wise. The frozen liver however looks all neat and tidy formed. Is that because it's beef liver and not calves liver?
The frozen liver is neatly cut because they cut it frozen. Liver wiggles all over the place when you try to cut it if it isn't frozen.

I bought frozen beef liver once. It was awful. In fact, it was so bad the dog wouldn't eat it.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
Head Chef

That bad, huh? OK. Thanks. The frozen liver in the package looked awfully dark too. Not dark burgandy colored like fresh is, but almost grayish black.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
TL, the beauty of my method is that you can make it, and adjust everything as you go. If you want it smoother, creamier, add more fat, and process longer. If you want the flavor more rich, add a bit of chicken stock, or more thyme. Just remember the cardinal rule of cooking, if it needs more of something, you can add more. But once it's in the dish, you can't take it out. So go slowly, and allow time for the flavors to meld.

This pate' is easier to make while everything is still warm. When you chill it, it firms up.

A couple we have New Years Eve dinner with every year, brought some store-bought pate' in cans. There were two different liver varieties. We tried both of them with crackers. They were horrible. We ended up throwing them away after a couple bites. Fortunately, I had made some up with chicken livers. The wife of the couple was astounded that I could make pate', from scratch. It's not hard to do. Think of liverwurst, and the flavors you taste when you eat it. Go from there. Just make it creamier in texture.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I have actually done that with chicken liver. I never thought of doing it with other liver. Thanks for the tip about doing it while stuff is still warm.