"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Head Chef

Once a year

There are a lot of threads here about favorites so I thought I would start another. What is your favorite thing that you look forward to all year? Usually it will be something that just doesn't taste the same at other times of the year and when you are expecting to have it the occasion just doesn't seem right without it.
For me it is a tomatoe sandwich. When the tomatoes first ripen and are fat and juicy I must have a tomatoe sandwich on white bread (Yes, the soft gummy kind) absolutely slathered with mayo and liberally sprinkled with salt and pepper, very liberally. Now this is not a gastonomes delight for most people but for me it harkens to a time when I was very young and the days were warm and life was a joy. That second tomatoe sandwich of the year is never the same as the first.
So what is that thing which for you is a must at some time of the year? Christmas turkey? Chocolate birthday cake? Summer strawberries?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

That is easy for me. It is Thanksgiving dinner. Sure I could make all these things any other day, but I never do. I love everything about Thansgiving dinner from the turkey to the gravy to the pecan pie. And the leaves outside make the perfect backdrop while feasting.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Once a year, usually at Christmas, we decide what Ethnic dinner we would like to have for our dinner. Money is no object as it is just the one time. I build it all from scratch. There is no one favorite, I'm kinda spoiled, I make Thanksgiving meals anytime I like. So it has to be the one time a year I do something wild, extravagant and fun.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Half Baked

I am going with the Thanksgiving spread too.
I held the feast at my house for many years.
My BIL and SIL took it over about ten years ago.
I have never been happier.He actually makes a better bird than me.He buys an expensive free range bird and cooks it over charcoal on a weber kettle.

I will still cook several birds throughout the year but it sure is nice not having to deal with that big production,cost and cleanup anymore.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

Mine is one we don't have anymore, but is still ingrained in my mind.

It was simply known as "Christmas Salad" and there was no recipe ever written as far as I know. It was handed down on my mother's side of the family with the unspoken "rule" that it was not to be shared outside the family.

It consisted of fruit, dates, marshmallows and nuts, with a tangy but sweet dressing. It was very rich and you couldn't eat very much of it but it was that first bite that mattered the most...you'd been waiting all year for.

My Mom passed away 15 years ago, and I had helped her make it many times so could carry it on; however, Dad got diabetes, my sister and I were always trying to watch our weight, and DH couldn't have the dairy in it. So, we stopped it awhile back. I don't even know if I could get the dressing right anymore but the memory of those flavours will never leave!

Thanks for reminding me of this!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thanksgiving Day dinner and New Year's Day meal (traditional Japanese meal usually reserved for the New Year, Jan 1)
Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I love to cook Thanksgiving Dinner. It's the most important holiday event for me.

It's so important that I've cooked a complete thanksgiving dinner for just myself when I was living alone.

The ideal for me is to have SO and my daughters and family around the table for the day. I make what I like as well as what others like.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I love to cook Thanksgiving Dinner. It's the most important holiday event for me.

It's so important that I've cooked a complete thanksgiving dinner for just myself when I was living alone.

The ideal for me is to have SO and my daughters and family around the table for the day. I make what I like as well as what others like.
That's how I am. If we don't go somewhere, I cook the full meal for just James and me. Thanksgiving dinner isn't just about eating. It is about the many memories the smells bring back of past family Thanksgivings. Just writing that brought back some memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Once a year, usually at Christmas, we decide what Ethnic dinner we would like to have for our dinner. Money is no object as it is just the one time. I build it all from scratch. There is no one favorite, I'm kinda spoiled, I make Thanksgiving meals anytime I like. So it has to be the one time a year I do something wild, extravagant and fun.
I love that!

Barbara
Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
Cook

Amazingly enough, I look forward to our monthly faculty workshops. The kids come to school for a half day and then the teachers break into small discussion groups to discuss elements of Marzano's Essential Nine.

The reason I like these workshops is because I've managed to talk my principal into allowing me to host meetings with my group in my department. I essentially bribed the principal and the group leader with an offer of a buffet lunch ... so much to the envy of the other faculty, teachers in my group have a working lunch in the Culinary Arts department.

In September we had an Italian lunch ... Lasagna Florentine Roulades, Shrimp Pasta Alfredo, Penne Pasta with Marinara Sauce, and Strawberry Cheesecake Pie.

During our next meeting we'll have Hungarian Goulash with Egg Noodles with Rigo Jancsi Cake.

In November we'll go Asian with Indonesian Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce, Chinese Vegetable Egg Rolls, Japanese Makizushi, Indian Curried Rice, and Egg Custard Tarts.

I wish I could invite the other teachers but since this is a district workshop, I can't very well afford to invite all of the teachers in the district. Part of the reason I can't do this is because I tend to be somewhat conservative and don't believe in spending Culinary Arts money on teachers. The money I spend on teacher meals comes out of my own pocket and I reserve Culinary Arts funds to buy food for Culinary Arts students to produce and eat.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #10
Cook

For me it depends on the time of the year because I like fruit and veg according to their normal growing season. Unfortunately in England we don't have Thanksgiving, so have to rely on Christmas which is a fave time for me.

Of food, I am still trying different ethnics. But I love Indian food, also Thai. But like it fairly hot. During summertime I like Italian cuisine and depending on the dish, a nice Bararello or a crisp chilled Frascati to partner it.