How about foods you've tried once or twice that you'll never eat again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
For me it's kale, okra and escargot.

With kale, I couldn't get past the disgusting bitter taste. And, with both okra and escargot, I couldn't get past the texture.

To add, I also can't do field greens. A lot of places these days use field greens for their salads (even fast food places like Wendy's) and it's just gross to me. It's a mess of stuff that resembles what I could go pick out of my back yard. And that purple stuff? What the heck even is that??? :yuk:

Sorry, but when it comes to salads, I'll only eat iceberg, romaine or baby spinach.

How about y'all?

Last edited:
Durian. I will say, that I had it with a friend of mine that used to try all sorts of things with me, mostly from Asian markets, and many of them we didn't eat again, but most because there was nothing special about them, not because they turned us off in some way. I knew that durian smell as soon as I entered some of those markets, and there would be a large pile of it in the front of the produce section!

Beef kidneys was something I couldn't get that urine smell out of, though I could clean it out of pork or lamb kidneys. But then, some of these things I don't see so cheap it would be worth using them - not like they used to be! That was the thing that made us try that stuff, back in the old days.

Mostly expensive foods that are described as gourmet.

Caviar, truffles, saffron, escargot, etc…

Some I enjoyed and some I didn’t but none of them had enough bang for the bucks.

I would be just as happy with a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of cold milk. 🤭

Coffee. I just dont get it. Clearly Im in the minority, but plain and simple, it tastes like crap to me.
Saffron: I don't hate it, just dont see the point or expense. I dont feel lie it elevates a dish in any way.
Radishes: If cut extremely thin I can tolerate them, but over all I dont like them. Ironically, its one of my most productive crops in the garden.
Custard Filled anything:. Consistency, to snotty for me.
Anything with a 'Sea" smell or flavor ( Sea weed).
Sweet Pickles: I prefer vinegar/ garlic/ fermented.
Kimchi is another one where I just dont see what the fuss is about. I dont dislike it, but not worth eating to me.
Fake imitation Maple Syrup. I love the real stuff. I dont even know how they came up with the flavor for the fake stuff. Doesnt taste ( or smell) anything like the real thing.
Cannoli's: Again, dont hate. them just dont think they're that great
Pumpkin Spiced things: Dont hate it, just dont see what's too special about it.
Broccoli Rabe(or any bitter green): I had it once at a restaurant and I loved it ( I think it may have been broccolini, no sign of bitterness at all). Have had it several times afterwards , and hated it.
Collard Greens: Too tough no matter what I did with it. I dont find the flavor to be that great, so not worth me trying to figure out a way I like it. Too many other greens I can use. And of course, another productive crop in the garden ( only get it once or twice).

Wow
I like escargots, durian and kale.
I've seen a lot of people finding kale bitter. Maybe you have different varieties than I am used to? We would harvest after the first frost.

Anyway.
Dislikes:
Cheese, unless when it is melted. It's a texture thing
Intestines, I do like liver paté though
Rooibos tea, it's like drinking the dregs of the forest floor
Mayonaise, texture again

Artichokes. My mother made us eat them. No thank you.
Okra. Maybe my mother made it incorrectly, but all I remember is the slime.
Lobster. Why anyone would pay so much for something that tastes so bad is beyond me.

There are a number of foods I was forced to eat as a child many times which I hated and haven't eaten since I was old enough to refuse. This includes liver, fried perch, canned peas and canned spinach. I thought I hated spinach until I tried it fresh, and now it is among my favorite veggies.

I guess in the late 60's and early 70's, frozen vegetables were either too pricy or not as good as they became with superior technology. All our vegetables were canned, and most canned vegetables are, well, not good.

Timing is all important with escargot. The flavour is faint but they can be so very tender. If I screw-up the timing, well, I just enjoy the butter, garlic, herbs and cheese LOL
Fish - hate the smell and the taste if fishy, left-overs of fish have a definite fishy smell and taste - even salmon, gags me. Also if it is not cooked all the way thru, some people like salmon very rare - texture makes me gag (think we talked about this once before, eh? taxy? LOL)
All of textures put me off, liver, kidney. Blood pudding. A tiny bit of pate is great. Emphasize tiny!
My sister can fry-up okra and I like hers but mine?... yechy slimy gag!
All the bitter greens, leave me with Ice burg, Romaine, spinach and I'm a happy camper. Endives are alright.
Balut - just the name makes me shudder.
Caviar

I'm sure there is much more, the above is just you all have said that rang a bell with me.

Remembered!
Marmite, Vegemite, Bovril (paste) - shudder

Rhubarb
Capers - the little ones. The giant ones with he stems are good.
Cauliflower - except pickled
Beets - pickled or cooked
Beef liver - chicken livers are good

Rhubarb
Capers - the little ones. The giant ones with he stems are good.
Cauliflower - except pickled
Beets - pickled or cooked
Beef liver - chicken livers are good
The little ones are the unopened buds
The large ones (on the stems) are the fruits

I like them both :)

Can't stand the curly kale, texture but there's a variety that's not curly and i like that, especially with a touch of sesame oil.

Don't like frisee either because of texture.

Pretty much any canned vegetable, though love hominy, and will eat canned corn on very rare occasions. Canned carrots go in the hurricane box, but if not used get donated after season is over. There are food drives here right after hurricane season.

Very picky about fish because we used to spearfish when diving so it came home and got eaten or was immediately frozen. We get tuna from a restaurant supply place so it's always fresh.

Love escargot if cooked correctly as above. We usually buy ready to bake frozen French escargot at a place that supplies the mega yachts that dock in Fort Lauderdale. We get truffles, caviar and foie gras there as well. BTW, truffles have to be ripe when used and sometimes that takes a couple of days after you buy them. If they aren't ripe, they may still smell pretty good, but won't taste like much. I'm planning on getting some black truffles soon.

Can't stand okra. I've tried it in gumbo, pickled and fried. Blech!

Collard greens - i couldn't stand them, though Craig has always loved them, even the school lunch collards. Found a recipe from Emeril and tried it. Wow! Changed my mind and Craig's brother's, who also hated them. The recipe has lots of onion and garlic, plus bacon. I use the pressure cooker and that makes them fall apart tender, even more so than cooking for hours in a regular pot. Oh, buy whole collard greens not the bagged ones. Get rid of the stems when you clean.

@larry_stewart , don't know if there is a vegan substitute for the bacon, but that recipe totally changed 2 haters into lovers.

Don't like any kind of kidneys and will only eat chicken livers willingly. I can deal with beef or veal liver if I have to in a social setting. Pork liver, I'd have to be starving to death before i would ever eat that again.

Hazelnuts and Brasil nuts. I prefer not to eat walnuts, but will. Don't like the taste. I love most nuts, but not those.

Spirulina noodles. Not enough printable words to describe that.

On the other hand, I love most all those hated greens, and all the cruciferous veggies too.

I was lucky. As a kid, I hated canned peas. Partially a texture thing, but mostly the flavour. My mum started wondering about that, because I really liked fresh peas. So, she tried frozen peas (back in the 1950s) and I was more than willing to eat those. I think she may have liked them better because, I never saw another can of peas at home after that. Oh, I still hate canned peas. I will pick out every last one, if they get into anything I'm about to eat. Obviously, that doesn't happen at home.

I saw beets mentioned, and it reminded me of those - they simply taste like dirt to me! Not something about root vegetables, just beets, and I tried growing several varieties, and all had that problem, though the white ones weren't as bad. I think it might be a genetic thing, like the soapy taste of cilantro, as I've found just a few others with that taste. Yet the greens, and Swiss chard have none of that flavor to me.

My brother didn't like to peel beets and would serve them, cooked but unpeeled. To me, those tasted like dirt. I also find that if not salted properly beets can have a slightly bitter flavour.
However, I do find them a pita to prepare. So unless I'm doing them for a family do, I don't.
I did discover several years ago vacu-packed cooked beets. 4/5 to a pkg. Expensive considering the price of raw, but cheap when you think they are already peeled and cooked. Just open the bag.
Great for salads, etc. Haven't seen them recently, at least not around here in the new digs.
Not something I really think about unless I 'just happen' to see them.

My brother didn't like to peel beets and would serve them, cooked but unpeeled. To me, those tasted like dirt. I also find that if not salted properly beets can have a slightly bitter flavour.
However, I do find them a pita to prepare. So unless I'm doing them for a family do, I don't.
I did discover several years ago vacu-packed cooked beets. 4/5 to a pkg. Expensive considering the price of raw, but cheap when you think they are already peeled and cooked. Just open the bag.
Great for salads, etc. Haven't seen them recently, at least not around here in the new digs.
Not something I really think about unless I 'just happen' to see them.
Yeah, peeling the beets is a nuisance. I actually find it kind of fun to rub the skins off, but if I do that, I don't have as much energy for something else.

I have been known to make pickled beets out of canned beets. I like them better than the pickled ones you can buy and they can be quite quick to make.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom