"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Head Chef

Plant city strawberries

I just got back from my favorite Amish Market here in town, and among all my veggies, I managed to pick up a flat of these beautiful strawberries... Those of you that live in Florida know that these are by far the best berries...

So I just finished washing them and slicing 3 pds, then threw in a bottle of vodka, and will let in sit till Valentines Day...

Next i'm making sweet onion strawberry jam, It's a condiment I love with poultry and pork...

Then i'm going to slow roast some with balsamic and freshly ground pepper (just a little bit) and use that as a topping for ice cream, rice pudding, tapioca, amongst other things... I think I will also try these in my strawberry buttercream frosting...

If there are any left over, well I think i'll just eat them as they are...

What are some of the ways you guys like your strawberries???

Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Master Chef

What really great ideas for strawberries, Mimi!!
I especially like this one.....
Quote:
Next i'm making sweet onion strawberry jam, It's a condiment I love with poultry and pork...
I bet it would be wonderful with lamb also. Would you share the recipe, purdy pleeeze??

For some reason we don't have strawberries in our neck of the woods yet. Bummer. I'm in the mood for some shortcake with real whipped cream.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Head Chef

Mimiz, I am close enough to drive to Plant City and get those great berries. Yummy !!

Josie
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Head Chef

For you K, anything...

3 pds sweet onions (I use vadalia) thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pint strawberries quartered and cut in half
1 T chopped fresh rosemary
1 T fresh thyme
1 t kosher salt
1 t fresh ground pepper
3 T balsamic vinegar
2 T sugar

Heat oil in a heavy pot (large enough to hold all the onions) over medium-high heat, add onions and cook until they start talking to you (about 3-4 minutes)...

Add the rest of the ingredients, turn down the heat to low and cover the pot... Cook for 2 hours or so, stirring every 20 minutes to scrap up the fond...

The mixture should be mahogany in color, soft and jammielike (this word i'm not giving away Kathleen )

K, i've never used it for lamb but you bet your a## i'm getting some chops from Sam's tomorrow...

Please let me know how you like this, and i'll share a variation on this creation!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

This is one of my favorite pies. I usually double it and make it in a springform pan.
Strawberry Cream Pie
Eat@ Forums & Recipes :
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
This is one of my favorite pies. I usually double it and make it in a springform pan.
Strawberry Cream Pie
Eat@ Forums & Recipes :
YUMMY Merstar, i'm going to make this for my parents, they lovvvvvvvve strawberry pie... Thank you...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Flour Child

I like to bake a 3" square of puff pastry sheet (that has been brushed with egg before baking for gloss finish), top it by spreading a dollop of honey-sweetened marscapone on the center of that, top with slices of fresh strawberries, and slightly sprinkle powdered sugar for the finish. You can garnish the top with a fresh mint leaf from your herb garden.

Or you can do a 1" square with marscapone and one strawberry for a bite-sized finger food.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
YUMMY Merstar, i'm going to make this for my parents, they lovvvvvvvve strawberry pie... Thank you...
You're very welcome - they'll love this one - it's freakin' delicious. If you make it, let me know how it turns out!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I like to bake a 3" square of puff pastry sheet (that has been brushed with egg before baking for gloss finish), top it by spreading a dollop of honey-sweetened marscapone on the center of that, top with slices of fresh strawberries, and slightly sprinkle powdered sugar for the finish. You can garnish the top with a fresh mint leaf from your herb garden.

Or you can do a 1" square with marscapone and one strawberry for a bite-sized finger food.
I'll supply the strawberries, you supply the marscapone cheese... This I must try MA I love marscapone especially with honey...
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
I'm in the mood for some shortcake with real whipped cream.
Had some awesome shortcake last Sunday!!! Berries were from Ponchatoula ~~ Excellent for early season berries........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote