Pre-Peeled Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlechef

Senior Cook
I've never used this, but have seen it in the produce section of my supermarket. I know that peeling a clove of garlic is not hard, but sometimes when I'm in a rush to get dinner on the table it's just another step and clean-up that I wouldn't mind avoiding. This is not the pre-chopped stuff in a jar. These are whole garlic cloves peeled. The label says "peeled garlic from California".

Anyone ever use them?
How long do they last?
Any thoughts about taste?

They do look tempting. TIA :chef:

Last edited:
Littlechef, the prepeeled stuff doesn't have nearly the flavor of a fresh clove. As for ease of cleaning, just break off a clove, lay it on your cutting board, place the flat of your knife on it and give it a whack. The paper will come right off and you are halfway to mincing or whatever you want to do with the clove! ;)

That's the easy part, Alix. How do you keep the paper from flying everywhere on its way to the garbage? And then there's the stuff that sticks to you chef's knife, and then your finger, and you can't flick it off so you end up having to wash your hands, then you find more on your cutting board... I hate working with garlic :mad: sticky sticky sticky :wacko:

:LOL:

I did buy the chopped stuff before when I was making several fatties. No comparison to the fresh stuff, but "oh so good" to work with ;)
And I've seen the whole, peeled garlic recently, too. I was wondering how it compared to the jarred garlic.

That's the easy part, Alix. How do you keep the paper from flying everywhere on its way to the garbage? And then there's the stuff that sticks to you chef's knife, and then your finger, and you can't flick it off so you end up having to wash your hands, then you find more on your cutting board... I hate working with garlic :mad: sticky sticky sticky :wacko:

You're smashing too hard. You don't need to pulp it, just give it a tap to loosen all the skin. I remove all the paper before I put the clove down. I just rub it in my hands over the sink and let the dry paper fall in. Clean up all the sink crap later and its easy peasy.

Don't be so rough! Be gentle with your garlic like you are with your bacon weave. ;)

lol, ok then...
I still think garlic comes with too much paper on it though ;^)

Ya ya ya. You have to put up with some irritation to get to the good stuff sometimes. (Am I a good straight man or WHAT?)

Try putting whole unpeeled cloves of garlic in an ice water bath. The cloves will peel with minimal effort after about 1/2 hour.

No stinky fingers or mess to clean up.

I give it a whack with a knife. It comes off easy. Lately I have been enjoying dried minced garlic. It works for the thinks that I use it for and is really easy, just twist off the cap and shake.

forty--I'm going to try your method.

I have quite a few pounds of it here.
Here's my method.
I separate the cloves, throw them into boiling water for a minute, then into cold running water to stop the blanching. The papers just slip off. Just loosen the root end with your fingernail and the paper comes right off.

Usually I do this for pickling garlic. Vinegar/salt/sugar.

Also for grinding it up in the processor for freezing--ease of use. I keep it in a zip lock bag and break pieces off when I'm cooking.

Jarred garlic--it has to have some acid salt or sugar to preserve it. I think I heard they used citric acid so it can be kept in the refrigerator. That's not always a bad thing.

If anyone wants to barter, I have just harvested cured garlic for........citrus fruit, pecans unshelled, peanuts unshelled, anything else you grow and we don't have in the upper US, just PM me.

I find the squashing method works ok. I've also tried blanching it but I find garlic is always sticky to work with no matter what methods I try.

I'm interested in trying the freeze method though. Get the work outta the way them freeze. That's sounds like a great idea. How long would it keep?

I've tried the knife method and cut my palm, plus it's hard on old hands like mine.

I found another way that works well for me and that is to use a can with a lip to smash with. The lip keeps you from totally smashing the clove and makes it easy to peel. Sticky fingers and garlic skins are just one of those things you have to deal with, unfortunately.

I find the squashing method works ok. I've also tried blanching it but I find garlic is always sticky to work with no matter what methods I try.

I'm interested in trying the freeze method though. Get the work outta the way them freeze. That's sounds like a great idea. How long would it keep?

Welcome to DC JSHART,

I only freeze a few zip lock bags full--flattened out, to make them easier to store and I use them within a few months. I don't know how long they'll last. I just make up a new batch every few months.
I put a little oil in the processor when I grind them. (you can't refrigerate them without adding acid/salt/sugar--it's not good,)
I store the rest of the cured unprocessed garlic in a cool dark place in the basement and it keeps until the next year's harvest--or almost that long.

I do use the ' pre-peeled' Garlic. As far as taste goes, Ive had no issues with it. Storage can be another issue. It is sold here by the pint ( in closed plastic containers). I always open it at the store and smell it, and over look to make sure im not getting anything spoiled or moldy. I store it in the fridge. You cant keep it Completely covered, or it can get slimy or moldy. And you cant keep it %100 open, or it dries out. Even when you leave it a slightly open ( like I do), the fridge takes on the smell of garlic ( which i personally dont mind, but im sure others do). Also, a pint of garlic is quite a bit. I can keep it fresh for about a week to two weeks. Usually Ill make some garlic/ oil in advance, and use it throughout the week on pasta or whatever. As far as the pre chopped stuff, that ( to me) doesnt taste like garlic at all. Its kinda tangy and oily. I used it once and never again.

It goes without saying that it is better to peel it yourself. But sometimes you need a shortcut, and I preferred the peeled in a jar to those little jars of minced garlic that seem bitter to me. No, of course it isn't as good.

As far as how long it lasts; I couldn't tell you. garlic-loving family. I've never tried freezing it, but it occurs to me that it might work.

One year I couldn't get garlic that was worth the trouble of peeling it to save my life, and wished with my whole heart that this product was available.

Thanks everyone for all suggestions. I took the plunge today and bought a pack. I like that it's from California. A lot of garlic I see is from China. It's was $4.99 a pound and the pack I bought was $2.79. There's actually a lot of cloves in the pack. We love garlic, so I think I'll get through it within two weeks. I'll see how long it lasts. It's been in my fridge since early this morning and there's no odor at all.

Littlechef said:
Thanks everyone for all suggestions. I took the plunge today and bought a pack. I like that it's from California. A lot of garlic I see is from China. It's was $4.99 a pound and the pack I bought was $2.79. There's actually a lot of cloves in the pack. We love garlic, so I think I'll get through it within two weeks. I'll see how long it lasts. It's been in my fridge since early this morning and there's no odor at all.

It should last for a few weeks. I have purchased the large jar at Costco (I'm thinking they are 2 lbs) for making pickled garlic, If I don't use it all right away, I check every few days for any cloves that might be starting to deteriorate and remove them. I have also thrown the last few into the freezer if I know I won't be able to use them before they spoil. (not as good as fresh but okay in an emergency)
;-)

The pre-peeled garlic freezes just fine. We use it all the time. Very handy, with a great taste. Just dump some out...stick in the microwave for a few seconds...and you're ready to go.

:LOL:

I did buy the chopped stuff before when I was making several fatties. No comparison to the fresh stuff, but "oh so good" to work with ;)
And I've seen the whole, peeled garlic recently, too. I was wondering how it compared to the jarred garlic.

Hi! I'm new - just started today - but I saw your post and couldn't resist!;) Looove garlic!! The trick to keeping the paper from flying out and the garlic from sticking - the oils in the garlic cause that - wet your knife and your hands before handling it. Also, wet your knife when you mince the garlic as well. It will make for a much easier and better mincing experience.

Back
Top Bottom