"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
Executive Chef
All baking goods (except one of those dense cakes that says start in a cold oven) I do preheat. Many casseroles say preheat. But many of them I've found I can do mostly in the microwave and finish in the oven in just a few minutes and you can't tell the difference. It really depends on what I'm cooking, but most I do preheat. Many things I cook in the toaster oven rather than heat up the kitchen with the oven.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #22
Senior Cook
I preheat when I'm baking something like a cake/pie/bread [scratch stuff], but if I'm going to do something like refrigerator biscuits [commercial type] I don't. The main reason I preheat, when I do, is that you can never tell what temp my oven will preheat to. One day 350 will be 325, the next it'll be 400.

bjcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #23
Head Chef
I do appreciate Michael's point that the frozen food companies expend millions of dollars to get one item on the shelves, and they have test kitchens that work to optimize the heating of the dish.

And their labs have banks of ovens.

Unfortunately, there are ovens, and then again there are ovens. Right now we have a Viking oven fueled with propane (would never buy another for home cooking). For two years of our early marriage we had a very old, inespensive gas oven. For the rest of the time, 22 years, our stoves were electric.

All of them behaved differently.

Can only imagine the food company labs fire up their stoves, probably electic since that is what most people cook with, in the morning and keep them humming until quitting time.

So, already being hot, they willl retain their heat longer and better, when opened and a frozen dish put in, than an oven rapidly brought to the proscribed temperature will.

When to toss in the frozen dish?

I don't think there is an answer to this question.

We are still learning to deal with our oven and would never put a cold or frozen dish in it at the beginning because we know our stove a bit.

But y'all are cooks and know what you are doing.

Sometimes make dishes for others, and we do not know what their stoves are like.

But we try to muddle through somehow.

It is your stove and your food, and do what you like and it is fine with us.

Take care and God bless.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #24
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by vagriller
Are you my wife? I have the same disagreement with my wife. She thinks it's crucial to preheat the over all the way to the temp on the box when baking a frozen pizza. I don't put the pizza in cold, just when it is convenient. The over may be between 250-300.
lol that is our exact disagreement.

see i just hate when the middle comes out all doughy, somtimes it'll be liek hal;f my slice and i have to put it in the microwave for it to be tolerable.......he says it's because his oven is old and screwy, i like soft crust pizza but not when it's like yeasty tasting and icky.....the crust will cooked right, the cheese thats on it will be almost burning....>( grrr i just want my pizza to be yummy
sausage lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #25
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by GB
Why don't you do a test? Cook a couple of the same meals. Preheat for one and not for the other and see what you think.
i had the same idea, but we're mainly cook pizzas, the both of us can finish a digorno when we're bother hungry enough, which I usually am.

also he likes soft crust, i do too but idk if it's his oven like he says or what but the middle comes out all doughy, no matter if the crust is about to burn or not. i kind of wanted to try the directions for crisper crust to see if that would solve that. but you can't easily cut a frozen pizza in half.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #26
Assistant Cook
Just tell me what to do with my digorno pizzas. please.

i should have been more specific, but so i could easily find my post back i bookmarked it and knew he would read it and didn't want it to seem like i dunno......

i do love how the first post is like
sausage lips....1 "cluelessguy:...0
cuz i know he read that one at least lol ^_^
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef
Just follow the package directions.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #28
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Originally Posted by GB
If I am just cooking a frozen meal (prepackaged stuff from the freezer isle in the supermarket) I never preheat.
Only Sandra Lee would consider that cooking.

That said, some rising crust frozen pizzas require you to pre-heat the oven and some specifically tell you NOT to pre-heat the oven. Seeing I have a pizza stone, I always pre-heat, whether it says to or says not to, and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #29
Executive Chef
Well, I did the test with 2 frozen pizzas. Each time they were baked on a pizza stone.

The first frozen pizza called for preheating and then cook for 12 minutes. So that worked.
The second frozen pizza took an hour to heat up and it wasn't as crispy as the preheated one. I was just hungry by then so I took it out. Even Mr Half Baked commented on it and I didn't mention the experiment.

I think I could cook casseroles w/o preheating, when the dinner time wasn't important but I think I'll stick with preheating.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer
I bet the results would have been different without the pizza stone. If the pizza what on the rack instead then the heat would have surrounded the pizza differently. The cold pizza stone probably sucked some of the heat away from the bottom of the pizza.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote