Electric Oven Bake Option

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisafromnyc

Assistant Cook
New to using an electric oven. Just baked some croissants. Following the recipe bake instructions I set the oven to Bake and set it to preheat to 350. Put the pan in the oven when the temp was reached. Close the the end of the timer I checked the croissants and the tops where not cooking. Is this common?

Also, my oven does not have a roast option. How would I roast meat if the top coils don't go in while bake. Which is what the manual says to use for roasting.

TIA!

Hi Lisa. Welcome to DC.

Sometimes, you just have to leave the items in the oven a little longer. That's why recipe instructions usually say 25-30 minutes for example.

If that doesn't work. The first thing you should do is check the accuracy of the oven temperature with an oven thermometer.

It would be my thought that the the top hating element is for broiling, not roasting. Baking and roasting are the same thing - cooking with indirect heat.

Bake and Roast are actually the same functions. It is just the words are different.
the reference is for both elements.

But as to your tops not cooking - can't help you there.
Can you see if your coil is at least getting red when you turn it on?

1. The croissants were not cooked on top but done on the bottom and would have burned about 4 minutes left to bake time. I had to switch to Broil for about 5 minutes for them to complete cooking

The temp inside the oven was fine.

2. Yes, the top coils worked once I switched to Broil.

3. it is a Whirlpool Range Oven.

Thank you all for the answers and suggestions.

Where did you have them in the oven? If they were close to the bottom, that is why the bottoms cooked faster.

My oven has 3 racks with 6 or 7 positions available. I use the just above middle, middle or just below middle positions for the most part.

What did you use to independently check the oven temperature since you wrote it was fine?

I bake croissants at 425 for 15 minutes then lower the oven to 350 and bake for approx another 10 or 15 minutes. You can use 2 sheet pans, I do if you feel the bottoms are cooking too fast. I suspect your cooking temp and time is probably less than ideal, I also brush my croissants with melted butter.

1. The croissants were not cooked on top but done on the bottom and would have burned about 4 minutes left to bake time. I had to switch to Broil for about 5 minutes for them to complete cooking

The temp inside the oven was fine.

2. Yes, the top coils worked once I switched to Broil.

3. it is a Whirlpool Range Oven.

Thank you all for the answers and suggestions.
Which position is the rack you put the baking pan on?
The lowest position will usually brown the bottom before it browns the top of whatever you are baking.

The middle position usually bakes evenly.

If the bottom is browned and done before the top move the pan to the highest position possible this will help brown the top of whatever you are baking. In the top position heat raises and also reflects off the top of the oven browning the top quicker.

of course this is just a rule of thumb ovens don't always follow the rules.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom