"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Prime Rib finished faster than expected

For Christmas eve dinner, i cooked a 20lbs, 7 bone prime rib roast. It was cold when i put it in the oven and i thought it would take 14 to 16 hours to cook at 210F, but it only took 5 hours! It came out perfectly with a nice medium rare throughout the entire prime rib, but of course my guests won't be here for another 12 hours. So even though it is perfect, I am not certain of how I should serve it.

Once I took it out of the oven, I covered it in foil, let it sit for 30 min and then stuck it in the fridge to cool. This brings me to my question: how should i serve it? I have considered cold beef au jus sandwiches, but that just isn't as good as straight up prime rib.

What would be ideal is to heat it back up, but I'm afraid i will ruin it by heating it again. Should I avoid heating it up, or could I bring it up to room temp and then heat it up to 110F or so with the oven set to 200F?

Old 12-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Head Chef

Bring it back to near room temperature, then place in a hot (500 degree) oven for about 10 minutes. The center may still not be really hot, but that will give it a good crust and get the interior back to about room temp or a bit more without overcooking. I'm not sure just how much more you can do.

Why did you think it would take 14 hours to cook? Even in a smoker at no more than 220 it would only take about 5 hours.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I thought it would take longer to cook because I did an 8 lbs prime rib last weekend. After 4 hours it wasn't even close to done and I had ot turn up the temp to hurry it along. Seeing as how this one was twice as big I figured it would probably at least take 10 hours.

That and a guy at my work has cooked prime rib for years (and he comes from a cattle ranching family) told me about how he does it and I followed his method pretty closely.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenthoef View Post
I thought it would take longer to cook because I did an 8 lbs prime rib last weekend. After 4 hours it wasn't even close to done and I had ot turn up the temp to hurry it along. Seeing as how this one was twice as big I figured it would probably at least take 10 hours.

That and a guy at my work has cooked prime rib for years (and he comes from a cattle ranching family) told me about how he does it and I followed his method pretty closely.
Look in on the beef section of the Smoking Meat forum.

There are about a dozen threads on cooking or smoking a rib roast. You might join up and ask your question there. Those guys really know meat.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Something isn't right. I use a method of 500F for 5 minutes then 200F for 1 hour per pound. I can't believe that an extra 10F could make that big a difference. We are talking about 1, 20 pound roast, right?
Old 12-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

We are talking about 1 20 lbs roast and I agree something isn't right. I was shocked when my oven started beeping at 4 in the morning. I didn't believe it so I even chekced it with another meat thermoeter in 3 different places and got the same result. I sliced it on one end and it was defintiely done.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Master Chef

I've wrapped the finished (or almost finished) rib roast in foil and towel, and placed it in a small igloo cooler for several hours before serving. The roast will stay very warm until carving.
Actually, the roast will continue to cook while resting in the cooler so take that into account.

My last roast I did over the weekend was a 7 pound NY roast. I roasted it in the oven for 45 min at 450F, then immediately wrapped and stuck it in the igloo cooler for 2 hours before serving. Perfect med rare.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenthoef View Post
We are talking about 1 20 lbs roast and I agree something isn't right. I was shocked when my oven started beeping at 4 in the morning. I didn't believe it so I even chekced it with another meat thermoeter in 3 different places and got the same result. I sliced it on one end and it was defintiely done.
Even using "convection roast", that doesn't seem to be enough time. I'd be checking my oven temp with another thermometer. Does altitude affect cooking meat like it can with baking?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Even using "convection roast", that doesn't seem to be enough time. I'd be checking my oven temp with another thermometer. Does altitude affect cooking meat like it can with baking?
From what I can tell altitude doesn't affect roasting. I will check the temperature of my oven when I heat it up with another thermometer. That is a good idea.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
No, altitude does not affect roasting or grilling. Those are strictly based on heat. Baking is affected by atmospheric pressure, and water boils at a lower temperature too, so anything that produces a gas or that depends on boiling has to be adjusted. In Denver water boils at 206.

Tags
fast