"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

It is so romantic...I still remeber when my bf took me out for our first date at Space Pizza W6 http://spacepizzaw6.just-eat.co.uk because of his love with Space and space ships...the date was not so romatic but yes hillarious.......however food no doubt was awesome and I enjoyed the evening and finally planning to marry him

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
My SO and I had our first date and dinner at a reasonably upscale place nearby. I remember that the apps were accompanied by a Cosmo for her, which she promptly spilled on her front. After she cleaned up and exhibited severe embarrassment, we had a great dinner. I know I had duck and she had lamb, both with wasabi mashed potatoes, and that we shared everything. We had a great Pinot Noir, made stupid jokes about wasabi, and generally had a great date. Later, I learned that she was afraid I would never call again--because of the Cosmo spill! Needless to say, I did call again (how could I resist anyone who would be willing to share and share alike) and, 3 years later, we still share each other's meals when we go out.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #32
Head Chef

My dh made me steak and lobster tails on the grill. Turned out to be the last meal he ever cooked. Since we have been married I noticed he has difficulty buttering his own toast. Luckily I love to cook.

One time I did tell him that I make the best-ever baked beans. Well when serving them they sounded a lot like bullets hitting the plate.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Ever since I made Steak and Lobster I have cooked ever since. That was not my initial plan but thankfully I love to cook to. Maybe I should have washed dishes for our first meal.. Hmmmmmm.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #34
Master Chef

I have so many romatic food stories it is amazing. Yes, food is a part of romance to me, and my husband and I both know it to our toes. We love each other and love food, and romance each other with food on a regular basis. I guess what I was trying to say is that we both do it. 90% of the time I do cook, but we cooked for each other at about the same time, it wasn't a test I had to pass. His salary was considerably more than mine, but I took him out for one of our most memorable dinners (an Italian dinner at the Alpine in Arlington, on the porch in one of the waning days of fall in DC). I think it comes down to that I did what I could, and he did what he could, and so we knew we could work together.

We've been to many places in the world, and those meals will always be special. But also special are the times my husband makes pasta from scratch for me, or his experiments with pizza and other types of bread. I do the day-in-day-out, which isn't very romantic (which is what I was getting at: 7 days/wk is not romantic, it is a test of your ability to throw together something nutritious and tasty, but not a romantic dinner. Anything that is a test is not romantic, period.)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #35
Master Chef

By the way, my parents used to give us a "lobster gram" once a year. This year there was too much illness for that to happen, so we decided to buy one for ourselves. Candles and affection and love will be a part of the formula. Yumm yumm.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #36
Master Chef

I agree with you Claire. Any man that EVER told me that I had to cook for him or he'd dump me wouldn't get the chance - I'd already be kicking his behind out the door. That's not "romantic", that's what's called "controlling" - regardless of how wonderful he was at cooking down the road.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have so many romatic food stories it is amazing. Yes, food is a part of romance to me, and my husband and I both know it to our toes. We love each other and love food, and romance each other with food on a regular basis. I guess what I was trying to say is that we both do it. 90% of the time I do cook, but we cooked for each other at about the same time, it wasn't a test I had to pass. His salary was considerably more than mine, but I took him out for one of our most memorable dinners (an Italian dinner at the Alpine in Arlington, on the porch in one of the waning days of fall in DC). I think it comes down to that I did what I could, and he did what he could, and so we knew we could work together.

We've been to many places in the world, and those meals will always be special. But also special are the times my husband makes pasta from scratch for me, or his experiments with pizza and other types of bread. I do the day-in-day-out, which isn't very romantic (which is what I was getting at: 7 days/wk is not romantic, it is a test of your ability to throw together something nutritious and tasty, but not a romantic dinner. Anything that is a test is not romantic, period.)
Wow, what a really beautiful post. (I am soooo jealous.) Your husband sounds like a wonderful man and from what you wrote, a very lucky man, too! Tonight, I'm toasting ya'll at dinner!
Terry
Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #38
Sous Chef

One of the first things I cooked for the person I'm currently seeing was French Toast topped with good, dark, low-grade Vermont Maple Syrup. Thick-cut Challah bread soaked in a seasoned egg/half&half custard, started in a buttered pan, and then finished in the oven. With nice n' warm plates of course! Nothing like sitting around with bed-head and eyes full of sleepy-seeds stuffing your face with french toast!