Romance and Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely, romance without food is not even a romance.

The first time my wife cooked for me (first 2 times we went out, and I hate going out) was on our 3rd date, it was also a third day in the row we got together. After I told her on the second date that it is time she starts cooking or I am not coming anymore. She made this wonderful baked chicken and mashed potato. After that diner I did not go home, we have been together since; it’s about 17 + years now. Have to say I’ve been cooking most of those years, especially since she got pregnant with our first son (he is 12 now) and would get violently ill just walking thru the kitchen. I don’t mind, as the matter of fact I love it.

To be honest CharlieD, literally demanding, after just 2 dates, that your then girlfriend cook for you or you're dumping her sounds more like blackmail/highway robbery than romance. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My boyfriend and I went out for coffee on our first date. That doesn't really count though. The first meal I cooked for him was chicken marsala, wild rice, salad, and strawberry glazed cheesecake for dessert. I think the first thing he ever made me was linguini with clam sauce and clams oreganata. Both meals were sooo yummy :)

once on a second date, this guy came over to my house with home made oatmeal cookies (my favorite dessert, we must have talked about it over dinner or something). well he later broke my heart... fast forward about 2 years to my current dbf. On my birthday, after taking me to dinner, he had a couple boxes of presents. So I unwrap one and it's in this weird looking shipping box, I open it up and it's home made oatmeal cookies. I guess I must make it perfectly clear that's what I like :angel: Luckily, this time it didn't end with a broken heart, fast forward another 4 years and we're still together. :wub:

After the oatmeal cookies, I just had to do something special for his birthday which is about a week after mine. I started with some cold smoked salmon over lightly buttered ciabatta, followed by cream of mushroom soup. Next was a mixed green salad with walnuts, pears and gorgonzola. For the main dish, pepper encrusted pan seared tuna, with asparagus and holladaise sauce. Dessert was a raspberry parfait.

We both love to cook (and eat) and often a night at home consists of trying out a new recipe. We also do a cookie day once a year around the holidays where we bake up a bunch of cookies, bars, candies and then give them as gifts to our family and friends.

awww... see what you did, got me all sappy and stuff :) hee hee

As much as I love to cook, if a man DEMANDED that I cook for him, it wouldn't happen. I can remember my now-husband of almost 25 years saying, "Oh, you must be one of those women libbers." I just laughed and replied, "I'm a veteran, and have supported myself for over a decade. Call it whatever you will." We cooked for each other then, and do now. I simply cannot imagine someone telling me that I had to pass a cooking test before he'd marry me. I would just walk out of the room.

One of our favorite early meals was when my now husband picked me up and we went to Skyline drive during the fall. It was cheese, salami, good bread, and artichoke hearts. A bottle of champagne. We rolled in the leaves, enjoyed the colors, nibbled. No one cooked, it was just lovely.

I, guess, you're talking about me. Well, it had nothing to do with any kind of test. Simply I like to be fed, and not in the restaurant. Call me a womanizer, an old school, or whatever else you want, but that is the way it should be. The fact that I cook for family is not the way it should be. What is that old saying "the way to a man's hart is thru his stomach" It is 100% true, and have been proven by many shrinks and other doctors. We man think different.

Strangely enough, neither my SO nor I can remember the first meal I prepared for us. I think we were so dazzled by each others' presence that all else paled by comparison. I prefer that explanation to 'my cooking is forgettable.'.

It is so romantic...I still remeber when my bf took me out for our first date at Space Pizza W6 http://spacepizzaw6.just-eat.co.uk because of his love with Space and space ships...the date was not so romatic but yes hillarious....:ermm:...however food no doubt was awesome and I enjoyed the evening and finally planning to marry him;)

My SO and I had our first date and dinner at a reasonably upscale place nearby. I remember that the apps were accompanied by a Cosmo for her, which she promptly spilled on her front. After she cleaned up and exhibited severe embarrassment, we had a great dinner. I know I had duck and she had lamb, both with wasabi mashed potatoes, and that we shared everything. We had a great Pinot Noir, made stupid jokes about wasabi, and generally had a great date. Later, I learned that she was afraid I would never call again--because of the Cosmo spill! Needless to say, I did call again (how could I resist anyone who would be willing to share and share alike) and, 3 years later, we still share each other's meals when we go out.

My dh made me steak and lobster tails on the grill. Turned out to be the last meal he ever cooked. Since we have been married I noticed he has difficulty buttering his own toast. Luckily I love to cook.

One time I did tell him that I make the best-ever baked beans. Well when serving them they sounded a lot like bullets hitting the plate.

I have so many romatic food stories it is amazing. Yes, food is a part of romance to me, and my husband and I both know it to our toes. We love each other and love food, and romance each other with food on a regular basis. I guess what I was trying to say is that we both do it. 90% of the time I do cook, but we cooked for each other at about the same time, it wasn't a test I had to pass. His salary was considerably more than mine, but I took him out for one of our most memorable dinners (an Italian dinner at the Alpine in Arlington, on the porch in one of the waning days of fall in DC). I think it comes down to that I did what I could, and he did what he could, and so we knew we could work together.

We've been to many places in the world, and those meals will always be special. But also special are the times my husband makes pasta from scratch for me, or his experiments with pizza and other types of bread. I do the day-in-day-out, which isn't very romantic (which is what I was getting at: 7 days/wk is not romantic, it is a test of your ability to throw together something nutritious and tasty, but not a romantic dinner. Anything that is a test is not romantic, period.)

By the way, my parents used to give us a "lobster gram" once a year. This year there was too much illness for that to happen, so we decided to buy one for ourselves. Candles and affection and love will be a part of the formula. Yumm yumm.

I agree with you Claire. Any man that EVER told me that I had to cook for him or he'd dump me wouldn't get the chance - I'd already be kicking his behind out the door. That's not "romantic", that's what's called "controlling" - regardless of how wonderful he was at cooking down the road.

I have so many romatic food stories it is amazing. Yes, food is a part of romance to me, and my husband and I both know it to our toes. We love each other and love food, and romance each other with food on a regular basis. I guess what I was trying to say is that we both do it. 90% of the time I do cook, but we cooked for each other at about the same time, it wasn't a test I had to pass. His salary was considerably more than mine, but I took him out for one of our most memorable dinners (an Italian dinner at the Alpine in Arlington, on the porch in one of the waning days of fall in DC). I think it comes down to that I did what I could, and he did what he could, and so we knew we could work together.

We've been to many places in the world, and those meals will always be special. But also special are the times my husband makes pasta from scratch for me, or his experiments with pizza and other types of bread. I do the day-in-day-out, which isn't very romantic (which is what I was getting at: 7 days/wk is not romantic, it is a test of your ability to throw together something nutritious and tasty, but not a romantic dinner. Anything that is a test is not romantic, period.)
Wow, what a really beautiful post. (I am soooo jealous.) Your husband sounds like a wonderful man and from what you wrote, a very lucky man, too! Tonight, I'm toasting ya'll at dinner!
Terry

One of the first things I cooked for the person I'm currently seeing was French Toast topped with good, dark, low-grade Vermont Maple Syrup. Thick-cut Challah bread soaked in a seasoned egg/half&half custard, started in a buttered pan, and then finished in the oven. With nice n' warm plates of course! Nothing like sitting around with bed-head and eyes full of sleepy-seeds stuffing your face with french toast! :LOL: :pig:

Back
Top Bottom