Romantic Breakfast in Bed Menu/Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Artichoke, Lemon and Parsley stuffed Mushroom Caps
serves 2

2 medium-sized portabello mushroom caps, stems removed and reserved
1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
3 canned artichoke bottoms, packed in water (reserve the rest for another use)
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
zest of one lemon
2 scallions, thinly sliced
3 stems Italian parsley, chopped
1/4 cup plain toasted bread crumbs
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon extra virgin oil

Preheat oven to 350ƒF. Clean caps by brushing with a damp paper towel. Chop stems and plum tomato into small pieces and place in a medium size bowl. Dice the artichoke bottoms and add to the mushroom mixture. Add the mayonnaise, lemon zest and Italian parsley and combine well. Add the scallions, bread crumbs, salt (taste first as artichokes may be salty), freshly ground pepper and stir to blend well. Pack half the mixture into each portabello cap and drizzle with the one teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 25-27 minutes. Serve with a wedge of lemon.

Potato and Smoked Salmon Cake
1/4 small red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese
2 Tablespoons low-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 medium-sized russet potatoes, washed and dried well
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
3-4 thin slices of Nova lox, shredded
Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt one tablespoon butter in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Quickly sautÈ the red onion and garlic, about 45 seconds, until they are soft but not brown.

Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and stir into the sautÈ pan with the two tablespoons of low-fat sour cream and dill weed, stirring until cream cheese melts and blends with the other ingredients. Remove from heat. Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick and toss with the two tablespoons melted butter, salt and black pepper. Set aside.

Lightly spray a nine-inch glass pie dish with vegetable spray. Place a single layer of seasoned potatoes on the bottom, salt and pepper slices. Top with dollops of the cream cheese mixture and spread with the back of a spoon to evenly coat the potatoes. Sprinkle with half the shredded salmon. Repeat with a second layer of everything ending with a topping of potatoes and cream cheese mixture.

Wrap tightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for one hour or until the potatoes can be pierced with a knife. Remove the foil and turn up the heat to 400ƒF and bake for an additional 10 minutes to brown the top of the casserole. Remove from the oven and refrigerate after it has cooled completely. Cut into wedges before serving. This can be eaten hot or at room temperature.

To make ahead and reheat, first bring to room temperature, then wrap in foil and place in a preheated 325 F oven for 15-20 minutes.

Hazelnut Scones
Make these ahead and reheat in double wrapped heavy duty foil in a preheated 325ƒF oven for 10-15 minutes.
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon orange extract
3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon best quality hazelnut oil
1/2 cup whole toasted hazelnuts
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon orange extract
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 400ƒF. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.

Cut in butter and oil with a pastry blender until mixture looks like crumbly peas. Add hazelnuts, orange zest and orange extract and stir a few times to mix together well. Add buttermilk and eggs and stir until mixture is well blended. Dough will be a little stiff and slightly wet.

Scrape dough onto a lightly floured surface, turning to coat all dough surfaces with flour. Knead gently about 15-20 times. Divide dough into two equal portions, patting each piece into a circle of about one inch thickness. With a sharp knife, cut each circle into four wedges. Place wedges on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (You can also place on a greased baking sheet but this will add needless calories.) Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Serve immediately.

Mud, I'll die happy :)

May I ADD, serve with orange juice, champagne, & a dozen long-stemmed roses...A little caviar can't hurt, right!

Last edited:
It'll be worth EVERY bite! Hmm, maybe I'll put that caviar on those scones...whatda ya think....& scatter a few of those rose petals on the bed & in the bath.

Anyone have any romantic recipes/menus to share?

Thanks Mud.:)

Oh, before I slip into food unconciousness - I'd like some strawberries and cream on the side too.

(Where are those room-service people? They're never around when you need them :LOL: )

mish said:
(Where are those room-service people? They're never around when you need them :LOL: )

They're over here mopping up the chocolate that dripped onto the floor. (Silly girl, you forgot chocolate in the lineup....)

Will chocolate covered strawberries do it? - or too trite?

You girls are sooo funny :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

(Elf, are we gonna see romantic chocolate mud-wrestling?:blink: )

Ruth, by all means, do post. I'd love some romantic meal ideas. (Even if I have to eat it myself :LOL: )

Kadesma, okay, chocolate it is! Maybe a liitle warm chocolate puddle for each of us.

But seriously :rolleyes: , maybe strawberries dipped in white chocolate on our fluted champagne glass, coffee, & a big goblet of honeydew, cantaloupe, blueberries & grapes to go with.

Okay, I brought some chocolate mousee along too.

chocmousse2qy.png

You girls are making me silly...:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

mish said:
You girls are sooo funny :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

(Elf, are we gonna see romantic chocolate mud-wrestling?:blink: )

Ruth, by all means, do post. I'd love some romantic meal ideas. (Even if I have to eat it myself :LOL: )

Kadesma, okay, chocolate it is! Maybe a liitle warm chocolate puddle for each of us.

But seriously :rolleyes: , maybe strawberries dipped in white chocolate on our fluted champagne glass, coffee, & a big goblet of honeydew, cantaloupe, blueberries & grapes to go with.
Hang on, OKAY, I've got my back pillow, my bib, let's EAT:LOL: NOw this is the LIFE!
kadesma

Here's a couple good breakfast in bed recipes:

Honey-drenched figs
Warm juicy drippy sticky - Ineffably decadent. Use only with experienced lovers.

Yield 2 servings

8 figs
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp finely chopped pecans

Grill the figs over a low heat until heated through, turning occasionally. Warm the honey. Place the figs on individual serving plates, drizzle with enough honey to lightly coat figs, and top with pecans.

This recipe offer the most ultimate experience in french toast. For delectable results, stray not for the recipe, preparing it the day ahead with thick slices of a baguette. The eggs and cream and sweeteners saturate the bread overnight, then puff up to a golden, sticky ecstasy in the morning's hot oven.

Yeild 2 - 3 servings

4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 thick slices French bread
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Combine the eggs, half-and-half, brown sugar, and vanilla extract ina small bowl. Pour half the mixture into a baking dish. Place the bread in the pan and top with the other half of egg mixture. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Melt the butter in 9x13" baking dish and stir in the brown sugar, honey, maple syrup and pecans. Add the soaked bread slices. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minute until puffed and brown. Serve immediately.

For that extra something on your toast, make a batch of honey butter. Just combine 1 stick butter, 2/3 cup honey, and 1/3 cup light brown sugar with an electric mixer or food processor. Store in a crock and chill until firm.

2 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 4-count pkg crescent rolls
1 egg yoke
1 tbsp mils
2 tbsp sugar

Cut the chocolate into 4 pieces about 3" long. Unfold the crescent roll dough. Place 1 piece of chocolate at the wide end of each piece of dough and roll up. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Mix the egg yoke, milk and sugar in a small bowl. Brush on the rolls, then bake according to package directions. Cool for 15 minutes before eating.

Yield 2 servings

3 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp chopped basil leaves
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (+ extra for garnish)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 lb thin asparagus
2 tbsp olive oil
basil leaves for garnish

Combine the eggs, basil, garlic, and Parmesan in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 30 min.

Trim the asparagus. Steam in a steamer basket or small amount of boiling water until tender, but still bright green. Drain, then season with a few drops of olive oil. Keep warm.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Pour a ladleful of egg mixture into the pan. Swirl it around the pan. Lower heat to medium. When the frittata turns opaque, flip it over and cook the other size until lightly browned. Repeat wth the other frittata. Divide the asparagus into 2 bunches. Roll each bunch in a frittata. Garnish with basil and grated cheese.

3 tbsp olive oil
2 cups tomator puree
1 cup dieced fresh tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup instant grits
2 eggs
2 tbsps heavy cream
2 tsp water
1/4 cup cornmeal
peanut oil for frying
8 oz fontinal or mozzarella, shredded
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
grated Parmesan

Prepare the grist according to package directions. Combine 1 of the eggs and the cream in a bowl. Mix well. Quickly add some grits to the egg mixture, beating well with a wire whisk to incorporate. Stir mixture back into the remaining grits and whisk together well. Pour into a small greased casserole dish, then refrigerate until firm. Turn out ont a cutting surface, and cut into managable rectangles. Beat the remaining egg with the 2 tsp of water. Dip each wedge in the egg mixture, then dip in the meal. Saute until golden brown in peanut oil in a skillet; drain and keep warm.

Combine the olive oil, tomato puree, tomatoes, and garlic in a bowl. Layer the grits cakes, tomatoe mixture, fontina, and rosemary half at a time in a greased square baking dish. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 to 40 min.

6 grapefuits, peeled and sectioned
7 oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 pint raspberries
1 1/2 cups orange juice
8 gelatin leaves, soaked in cold water for 1 1/2 hours
1 1/2 cups champagne
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup Grand Marnier

In a terrine, layer the grapefruit, orange and raspberries, repeating until you reach the top. In a small saucepan, warm the orange juice. Add the gelatin leaves and cook until completely melted. Stir in the champagne, sugar and Grand Marnier. Pour the orange juice mixture over the terrine, then refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.

4 oz bittersweet chocolate
3 1/2 ounces almond past
1 tbsp strong hot coffee
1 tbsp hazelnut liqure
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Chop the chocolate in a food processor until finely ground. Add the almond paste and process until smooth. With the motor running, add the coffee and liquer. Process until the mixture froms a soft ball. Roll mixture into 3/4" balls. Sprinkle with cocoa powers. Place the balls in small paper cups. Chill

Recipes from Intercourses - an aphrodisiac cookbook by Martha Hopkins & Randall Lockridge

I'll be happy to share any other recipes from the book, but I highly recommend you pick up your own copy... if nothing else, for the pictures! :devilish: It's a great coffee table cookbook.

The book is also fun because it has passages like this:

"Before chopping the tomatoes, take time to appreciate the feeling of their round shapes and smooth skins. Close your eyes and pass them between yourself and your partner, slowly carefully. Let your imagination go...."

Though I'm embarassed to admit, I haven't tried any of these recipes, so I can't personally vouch for any of them.

Not that I don't serve breakfast in bed... I make it a point to treat my fiance a few times a year. Though since we have a small house and the bedroom is right by the kitchen it's really hard to suprise him and half the time I end up waking him up just by pulling out the pots and pans! :LOL:

Ruth, wanted to thank you for the site. I took a look & saved the truffle recipe yesterday. The figs look wonderful too.(Gonna go back & try to add the guy covered in chocolate as a screen saver.)

Kadesma, now we need to hire a pillow-fluffer-upper.

mish said:
Ruth, wanted to thank you for the site. I took a look & saved the truffle recipe yesterday. The figs look wonderful too.(Gonna go back & try to add the guy covered in chocolate as a screen saver.)

Kadesma, now we need to hire a pillow-fluffer-upper.
Great idea mish, Got any ideas:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom