Savoury pancakes - e.g. ham and mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I would like to be able to make savoury pancakes; for example: ham and mushroom. The recipes I keep coming up against are all about making a pancaking, and then filling with what-have-you. I want the ingredients such as ham and mushroom to be incorporated into the pancake, like we had once from a pancake vendor of some kind. It came in a foil tray and the ham and mushroom was embedded in the pancake. They were one. I would like capture the same essence that that pancake had.

Interesting idea. Are they the usual thickness of pancakes, sorta the IHop kind? And what does one serve on them?

Sean - it sounds like these pancakes were baked in the tray with the other ingredients versus cooking stovetop.

My suggestion is to just try it in a dish that would keep your pancake on the shorter side and bake it.

Was the pancake really thin?
I'm thinking you could do it like fruit pancakes ... say you want the mushrooms and ham. Put them in your pan first for about 45 seconds to heat them a little. Be sure you spread them evenly in the pan. Then pour crepe batter (if it was a really thin pancake you ate before) or your regular pancake recipe over the ingredients and cook like you normally would.
Just a thought ... Good Luck!

Interesting idea. Are they the usual thickness of pancakes, sorta the IHop kind? And what does one serve on them?

I'm not sure what usual thickness would be for you and I'm not sure what the IHop kind would be. Doing a google image search for IHop, I see lots of American breakfast pancakes. Anyway, the pancake I had, in the Netherlands, was served with maple syrup, so that was how I ate it.

I will be investigating further and report back what I find.

Sean ... were the pancakes you had sweet or were they a little bland (not in a bad way, just not sweet)?

When I am making pancakes to eat with maple syrup, they are about 1/4 inch thick. When I make crepes, they are about a 1/4 of that. Does that help?

Sean ... were the pancakes you had sweet or were they a little bland (not in a bad way, just not sweet)?

When I am making pancakes to eat with maple syrup, they are about 1/4 inch thick. When I make crepes, they are about a 1/4 of that. Does that help?

It was a thin pancake; I don't know if it was 1/16" but it was certainly less than 2/16". The syrup was provided with the pancake.

According to my source, she saw her pancake being flipped recently and it was one which incorporated bacon and apple.

I would like to be able to make savoury pancakes; for example: ham and mushroom. The recipes I keep coming up against are all about making a pancaking, and then filling with what-have-you. I want the ingredients such as ham and mushroom to be incorporated into the pancake, like we had once from a pancake vendor of some kind. It came in a foil tray and the ham and mushroom was embedded in the pancake. They were one. I would like capture the same essence that that pancake had.

Try adding finely minced mushrooms, ham etc to your pancake batter. Here's an example:
Mushroom Hotcakes/Pancakes Recipe | Recipezaar

Back
Top Bottom