Sharing the joy - complete homemade philly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
So I decided to challenge myself to make completely homemade philly cheese steak. This includes cooking the meat and making the bread. My first try turned out really good.

Bread recipe:
500 gram of bread flour
340 gram of water (round up to about 65% hydration)
yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil

After kneading the sticky dough I left it to rise in the fridge over night. the next day I took it out and cut into 4 portions, rolled each into a ball and proofed again for 30 minutes. then flatten each ball, roll it up into a cigar, and proof again for 30 minutes. Bake at 425 degree for about 12 minutes, mine was a little undercooked so in my case, 15 minutes would have been ideal.

dfk0tj.jpg

The steak:

I used Chuck eye steak which I think is very well marbled, cheap, and relatively tender. I marinaded it first in salt, pepper, garlic, oil and pineapple juice to tenderize it. Then freeze it, partially defrost it, and slice the meat super thin against the grain. Then I heat up the griddle, cooked the meat, place sauted onion under the meat and provolone over the meat, and put the opened-up bread over it. When the cheese melts the meat would have stuck to the bread so I just flit the whole thing over, served with sauted bell pepper and sauted mushrooms.

8x5t13.jpg

Hyperion said:
So I decided to challenge myself to make completely homemade philly cheese steak. This includes cooking the meat and making the bread. My first try turned out really good.

Bread recipe:
500 gram of bread flour
340 gram of water (round up to about 65% hydration)
yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil

After kneading the sticky dough I left it to rise in the fridge over night. the next day I took it out and cut into 4 portions, rolled each into a ball and proofed again for 30 minutes. then flatten each ball, roll it up into a cigar, and proof again for 30 minutes. Bake at 425 degree for about 12 minutes, mine was a little undercooked so in my case, 15 minutes would have been ideal.

The steak:

I used Chuck eye steak which I think is very well marbled, cheap, and relatively tender. I marinaded it first in salt, pepper, garlic, oil and pineapple juice to tenderize it. Then freeze it, partially defrost it, and slice the meat super thin against the grain. Then I heat up the griddle, cooked the meat, place sauted onion under the meat and provolone over the meat, and put the opened-up bread over it. When the cheese melts the meat would have stuck to the bread so I just flit the whole thing over, served with sauted bell pepper and sauted mushrooms.

Oh how I love a Philly cheesesteak! This one looks scrumptious!

Back
Top Bottom