"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Luca, saving bacon grease goes back to our forefathers, the Pilgrims who arrived here in 1620. It is an Americal tradition. Sometimes it was the only fat to be had. It is usually poured off and saved in an empty glass jar or empty tin can. During the Depression of the 1930's just about every household saved their bacon grease. Money was scarce. During WWII, it was saved for the "War Effort." The bacon grease is used to saute eggs, potatoes, greens, veggies and various other foods that you want to add an additional flavor and taste.

Oddly enough it can be washed and purified. Something the oldtimers still do.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Interesting and informative as aways, Luca!

Thanks all for the go-ahead. Bacon grease adds such a nice flavor, t'would be a sin to pitch it.

Addie, how do you wash it?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Luca, saving bacon grease goes back to our forefathers, the Pilgrims who arrived here in 1620. It is an Americal tradition. Sometimes it was the only fat to be had. It is usually poured off and saved in an empty glass jar or empty tin can. During the Depression of the 1930's just about every household saved their bacon grease. Money was scarce. During WWII, it was saved for the "War Effort." The bacon grease is used to saute eggs, potatoes, greens, veggies and various other foods that you want to add an additional flavor and taste.

Oddly enough it can be washed and purified. Something the oldtimers still do.
Thank you so much Addie, I always like to know a little bit more about other countries traditions, like this.
Thanks again
Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Interesting and informative as aways, Luca!
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I always let the bacon grese cool down then I put it into a zip lock bag .. flatten it out then into the freezer it goes. With it being flat it's very easy to break off what I need and it's ready to use in no time flat. I've never had it go rancid and it always tastes like it was just rendered.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB
I always let the bacon grese cool down then I put it into a zip lock bag .. flatten it out then into the freezer it goes. With it being flat it's very easy to break off what I need and it's ready to use in no time flat. I've never had it go rancid and it always tastes like it was just rendered.
What a good idea! Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
Master Chef

Interesting thread!

I have a bacon grease container that's older than me, and that's old. It belonged to my mom and it's a covered metal container (now well dented) with a metal insert strainer. I especially love it for diced bacon, as you just pour in the skillet contents into the strainer, and the rendered fat strains into the container, leaving the diced bacon high and dry. I looked all over the net for a picture of one, but I guess they don't make them anymore.
Does anyone else have one?
Every time I use it I remember my Mom's never to be forgotten famous fried potatoes in bacon fat in her cast iron skillet. I've never been able to duplicate them as hard as I've tried. It was just that illusive Mama's touch I think. She left the container on the shelf of her then Sate of the Art O'Keefe & Merrit stove. I refrigerate mine.

Thanks for the tweak of a dear old memory Dawg.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Kayelle, I had one exactly like that years ago; I don't know what happened to it. I think it was my mother's. It was probably los when we renovated the kitchen. Now I keep bacon grease in a jar in the fridge.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #29
Master Chef

Luca, very informative info. Thank you. I too enjoy reading about other countries customs, first hand, from someone who lives there and knows.

As far as bacon grease, I keep it in a tupperware container in the freezer. When I need a little, I heat up a spoon under hot water and just scoop out however much I need. Usually it's not much, but I sure do appreciate having it when I make a spinach salad and some warm bacon dressing. I add to the container as I make more bacon.