"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How Do You Like Your Stuffing/Dressing?
I call it stuffing. 73 57.94%
I call it dressing. 41 32.54%
I prefer bread. 53 42.06%
I prefer cornbread. 32 25.40%
I prefer rice. 7 5.56%
I stuff the bird. 39 30.95%
I use a casserole. 57 45.24%
I like my stuffing/dressing moist. 96 76.19%
I like my stuffing/dressing dry. 11 8.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to CiCi Send a message via Yahoo to CiCi
We call it dressing and use cornbread along with a bunch of other stuff thrown in. Last year we mixed oyster in the dressing and it turned out really good.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

I like my bread stuffing with finely chopped granny smith apples to add some sweetness and crunch with lots of parsley!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Yum, I agree that the leftovers are the best!!

Stuffing with a little touch of gravy is my absolute favorite Thanksgiving dish. I like it fairly simple lots of veggies (sauteed onion, celery and mushrooms) and sage in my bread casserole stuffing, moistened with turkey broth. Moist yet crunchy on the outside.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #54
Cook

And this year I will be making my own cornbread mix. No more bagged stuff. And the reason I can do this, is because I have a grain mill and will be having 50 lbs of corn delivered on the 8th of November. So happy days. Are ya smellin' what the Treklady is cookin'?

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #55
Executive Chef

If it's in the bird, I call it stuffing because that's what it is. If it's made in a casserole dish, it's dressing. But in general, it's stuffing.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
In our family the definitions always were that "stuffing" was dryer & more "fluffy", while dressing was moister & more solid. Since dad liked stuffing & mom prefered dressing, they used to take turns every year.

Since these days Thanksgiving is just husband & I, & he's not a big stuffing/dressing fan, we roast our organic free-range bird without it & I try whatever stuffing recipe tempts my fancy every year baked in a separate casserole. Since we have a very proliferous chestnut tree on the farm, some years I use my own chestnuts for a chestnut/brandy stuffing; other years I do a cornbread variation; still others I take the easy way out with just a bag of commercial cubes with a lot of home additions. It always comes out great.

I must say though, that the one stuffing I definitely did not care for was oyster stuffing. I just couldn't warm up to the seafood/turkey thing.
Not quite where the expression 'neither fish nor fowl' came from, but would seem close enough.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #57
Master Chef

LOL!!! And I do like oysters in their own right. But after 2 attempts & 2 different recipes, I just gave up. Neither husband nor I liked either one. I guess I really just wanted to like it since oyster stuffing seems to be so popular here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Bill - Both husband & I are born & raised Long Islanders (Setauket/Nissequogue area) - both by the water - & you'd think something like this would be 2nd hat, but there was never any oyster or other seafood stuffing at our Thanksgivings. Closest Thanksgiving got to seafood was a big Jumbo Shrimp cocktail - lol!!

Don't know where you're located on the East End, but is Miloski's Turkey Farm still in business?
Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
LOL!!! And I do like oysters in their own right. But after 2 attempts & 2 different recipes, I just gave up. Neither husband nor I liked either one. I guess I really just wanted to like it since oyster stuffing seems to be so popular here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Bill - Both husband & I are born & raised Long Islanders (Setauket/Nissequogue area) - both by the water - & you'd think something like this would be 2nd hat, but there was never any oyster or other seafood stuffing at our Thanksgivings. Closest Thanksgiving got to seafood was a big Jumbo Shrimp cocktail - lol!!

Don't know where you're located on the East End, but is Miloski's Turkey Farm still in business?
They're a bit north and west of us and I think they're sill around (were a year or two ago) but we try and help our local IGA by ordering our 'fresh' turkey from them. Things change, it's getting too built-up out here and the new people are complaining about the lack of street lights and sidewalks. Sure miss those $3 50 pound bags of potato culls.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #59
Master Chef

Oh goodness - please don't get me teary-eyed over the wonderful farm-stands out on the East End. I used to fill the car with everything & anything - on top of what I grew myself at home - lol!!!

The biggest thing I miss down here in VA is the fresh seafood. It's positively abysmal here in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. Sadder than sad. No one seems to even KNOW what fresh seafood is, apart from shrimp & catfish.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Please excuse the delay in my reply but I was weighing the Portugese rolls that I baked some 2 hours ago and calculating the water retention. Shrimp is nothing to sneeze at. We still harvest a fair amount of quahogs and some oysters but the snowshoe flounders are history. The fishery is in a great decline. We count ourselves as being fortunate to be able to buy some Finnan Haddie that's imported from Canada