Petty Vents II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a Pro before. It was overkill as I don't really put a strain on the machine. I missed the CD drive but bought an external CD drive to solve the problem. I can imagine you work your Pro a lot harder.

a Petty-Unvent . . . .

Microsoft recently introduced a "new" Outlook.
note: Microsoft Office has "Outlook" but it is not the same as the freebie / OS version.

I have noticed, with great enjoyment.... that in addition to a "new" Outlook,
Hotmail.com,
Outlook.com,
Live.com . . .
seems to have 'gotten religion' in the spam department.

I have been forced to close Hotmail accounts due to 20-60 spams per day.
totally ridiculous effort needed to sort thru the trash Microsoft delivered to my Inbox....

since the switch to "new" Outlook the spam has dropped to near zero!

anyone else notice?

I find this hilarious, especially when people say they can have a bread from start to finish (including rising time) in 1 hour. Heck it'd take that long to activate the yeast.

I know from a good amount of bread making that I can fairly easily double the time it takes for me to make a good loaf if I'm making it in the winter vs. the summer. My house gets cold in the winter and my yeast gets cold too.

I find this hilarious, especially when people say they can have a bread from start to finish (including rising time) in 1 hour. Heck it'd take that long to activate the yeast.

I know from a good amount of bread making that I can fairly easily double the time it takes for me to make a good loaf if I'm making it in the winter vs. the summer. My house gets cold in the winter and my yeast gets cold too.
I love these 40-minute burger buns. They make good dinner rolls, too. Active dry yeast doesn't need to be activated - you just stir it into the flour with the salt. I keep mine in the freezer but warm water wakes it right up. https://www.food.com/recipe/40-minute-hamburger-buns-183081

On the turbo tax bit, I've never used it but me and my husband use H & R block and we've had no issues with that. However my husband is also a programmer and a whizz with computers so I'm sure that helps. 😂

I have a bread recipe I got from watching a cooking show on TV. It's super fast. In fact, if you turn on the oven to preheat before you start the recipe, chances are you'll have to wait for the oven to reach temperature before you can put the bread in the oven. However, it does take an hour to bake.

Andy, have a recipe that takes 90 minutes from start to finish. It's the 400 F in my cast iron dutch oven type. First saw it on jenny can cook. She also has one she does in a regular btead pan.

I have a recipe for 60 minute rich dough rolls (pan rolls) and my flat bread can be finished in an hour, but I usually let it go longer, about 90 minutes, or even longer if I hold it in the refrigerator.

Speaking of bread, if there's a way to speed up bread, is there a way to speed up the production and creation of natural sourdough starter? I don't like waiting a week of TLC for my starter to be good and ready. The average time it usually takes me from day 1 of sourdough to baking bread with it is like 1.5 to 2 weeks. I try my hardest to make it strong faster (make sure it's in an 80-90 degrees F environment 24/7, use pumpernickel flour for extra nourishment, use filtered water just in case, etc.). Any advice?

speed up making your own starter - no, not really.
ten days is the usual. the naturally contained yeast content is not real high, so it's a repetition of fermentation / growth, discard, feed some more, fermentation / growth . . . typically done at a 'daily' interval.

whether one could shortcut "daily" to 20 hours, or 18 hours . . . no clue.

for sourdough, try a buckwheat starter - veddy flavorful stuff . . .

Once your starter is started, it should not take a week and a half to make your bread. A day and maybe two days depending on your recipe.

Actually, you can make it in an hour, but I know from the one time I tried it, not much flavor developed in it. That was something that I tried in my early days, when making bread, from a recipe in a book I got back then, in the 70s. There was a term they had for it - Instablend, if I remember correctly (I could go look - the book is still in there! :LOL:), and the yeast was mixed with some of the flour, then some very warm water (125°) was mixed in, to dissolve the yeast (another similar version, Rapid-rise, which gave the name to a brand of yeast, called for beating the batter, then it was made normally, but faster). After the dough was made, it would rise 10 min, then go in the pan, rise 15 min, then bake. It would rise fast, but had almost no flavor, compared to rising at room temp, for much longer.

Most of the recipes in that book - The Complete Book Of Breads were much better - these were just given to show the different methods. That was the book that Old Milwaukee Rye Bread was in originally - a bread I make to this day, with some tweaks.

I don't remember where I saw/heard it, but using beer instead of water adds flavor to short-rise time recipes.

You're right, @medtran49! That was something else I learned early on, and, though I was never much on drinking beer, they had frequently keg parties on campus, and I would drain the foam out of the empty kegs, and let it settle, and take it back to the apartment, and freeze it (I got a freezer even then - something my family always had, to stock up on things!). Next party, I'd even have more left (I didn't bake that much bread!), and take a bunch back, and use some for cooking seafood in (my school was down at the shore, so that was cheap then) - that's when I got that 32 qt stockpot, I eventually gave to Mom's church kitchen.

take it back to the apartment, and freeze it (I got a freezer even then - something my family always had, to stock up on things!).
This makes it sound like freezers weren't much of a thing back, say (I don't know how old you are so I'm gonna assume) 20 or 30 years ago. I thought electric freezers came about in the 70s? I know 50s and 60s shows had ice boxes but I'm not sure how long electric freezers have been invented.

This makes it sound like freezers weren't much of a thing back, say (I don't know how old you are so I'm gonna assume) 20 or 30 years ago. I thought electric freezers came about in the 70s? I know 50s and 60s shows had ice boxes but I'm not sure how long electric freezers have been invented.
In the early 1960s, my parents bought refrigerator that had side by side fridge and freezer. When you refer to icebox, do you mean the ones that you had to put a big cube of ice, about a foot on each side to cool the contents? I think those were being replaced by electric and gas refrigerators in the 1930s. Mechanical refrigerators predate the electric grid.

Anyways, I think Pepperhead was referring to a freezer that was a separate appliance, likely a chest freezer.

Or is this what you meant by icebox?

RylePPACzNlOVpVx8dZC-w.jpg

Last edited:
Not all homes had separate free standing freezers during the 50's. They started being common during the 60's and students in college certainly didn't. LOL, you were very privileged to have one at school, pepper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom