"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Substitution for Ricotta

Can I substitute something (tofu? greek yogurt?) for the ricotta in the following recipe?

Tuscan Pudding

12 oz. ricotta cheese
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 t. pure vanilla extract
zest of one small lemon
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 oz ground blanched almonds
1 oz minced candied orange peel

Preheat oven to 350; grease medium mold or baking dish.

Beat ricotta and egg yolks together until very smooth. Add sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat well until incorporated. Add other ingredients and mix well.

Pour into mold and bake 30 minutes. Serve warm, at room temp or chilled.

Makes 6 servings.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Juanita

Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Head Chef

I have substituted cottage cheese for ricotta when I made lasanga before.
Came out good. Sorry, I don't know how it would work for that.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Like letscook, I've used cottage cheese in lasagna. I "mashed" it through a sieve.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Contest Winner

Marscapone or cottage cheese pulsed in a blender to smooth it out. Maybe a THICK greek style yogurt would work too. Would make it more tangy though...
Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Cottage cheese is the closest you can get to ricotta.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Cook

Depending on the type of ricotta used in the recipe (smooth blend ricotta you get in tubs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket VS non-blended still whole ricotta from delis), cottage cheese or Mascarpone could be the way to go as both are usually the most commonly associated as substitutions. Since you're blending the mixture it wouldn't matter so much texture wise.

Just a thought - you could always test combining the two (cottage cheese and Mascarpone that is) to get the closest texture/taste to Ricotta. Perhaps lean a little more towards a bit more cottage cheese than Mascarpone, just in case there's too much of a bitter 'bite' to it since it's usually made with creme fraiche/tartaric acid/buttermilk which would take away the replication of that Ricotta taste.

Or I'm just totally over-thinking it . Good luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
Depending on the type of ricotta used in the recipe (smooth blend ricotta you get in tubs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket VS non-blended still whole ricotta from delis), cottage cheese or Mascarpone could be the way to go as both are usually the most commonly associated as substitutions. Since you're blending the mixture it wouldn't matter so much texture wise.

Just a thought - you could always test combining the two (cottage cheese and Mascarpone that is) to get the closest texture/taste to Ricotta. Perhaps lean a little more towards a bit more cottage cheese than Mascarpone, just in case there's too much of a bitter 'bite' to it since it's usually made with creme fraiche/tartaric acid/buttermilk which would take away the replication of that Ricotta taste.

Or I'm just totally over-thinking it . Good luck!
Isn't Mascarpone pretty expensive? This thread has got me thinking more along the cottage cheese idea. It's totally different when used as a topping for Hamburger Onion Pie when mixed with beaten egg.

Of course this is a little off topic for the OP. When used in a pudding texture/moisture would have to be a factor. I like the idea of tofu as a substitute, but have no idea about using it in a pudding.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Cottage cheese is the most like ricotta. Mascarpone is expensive, delicious and rich but I think it's more like cream cheese.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Cottage cheese is the most like ricotta. Mascarpone is expensive, delicious and rich but I think it's more like cream cheese.
Hmmm. Cream cheese blended with cottage cheese? Hmmm!

Now you see why I never get to clean out my freezer. So many inspiring ideas to try!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Isn't Mascarpone pretty expensive? This thread has got me thinking more along the cottage cheese idea. It's totally different when used as a topping for Hamburger Onion Pie when mixed with beaten egg.

Of course this is a little off topic for the OP. When used in a pudding texture/moisture would have to be a factor. I like the idea of tofu as a substitute, but have no idea about using it in a pudding.
Hmm if you're buying pre-packaged in tub Ricotta, then yes, in comparison Mascarpone is likely to be more expensive (I wouldn't call it an outrageously pricey cheese, but it isn't el cheapo). Having said that it can always boil down to what you're actually using in the first place. In the case of a pudding like the OP has listed, I was wondering if cottage cheese on its own wouldn't be firm enough, so a mixture of cottage and Mascarpone would theoretically give a better, more similar texture and feel to Ricotta (at least cottage cheese I've seen, seems to be with a higher water content compared to Ricotta).

Tofu I actually have no experience in using in a pudding form you'd have to compensate for the blandness, and again its water content. I guess what kind of pudding the recipe is meant to result in is also a clear factor.

See this is what happens, I get curious then start over-thinking scenarios !