"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Substitution for Ricotta

Can I substitute something (tofu? greek yogurt?) for the ricotta in the following recipe?

Tuscan Pudding

12 oz. ricotta cheese
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 t. pure vanilla extract
zest of one small lemon
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 oz ground blanched almonds
1 oz minced candied orange peel

Preheat oven to 350; grease medium mold or baking dish.

Beat ricotta and egg yolks together until very smooth. Add sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat well until incorporated. Add other ingredients and mix well.

Pour into mold and bake 30 minutes. Serve warm, at room temp or chilled.

Makes 6 servings.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Juanita

__________________

__________________
Juanita Maiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,744
I have substituted cottage cheese for ricotta when I made lasanga before.
Came out good. Sorry, I don't know how it would work for that.
__________________

__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 11,015
Like letscook, I've used cottage cheese in lasagna. I "mashed" it through a sieve.
__________________
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Contest Winner
 
grumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 720
Marscapone or cottage cheese pulsed in a blender to smooth it out. Maybe a THICK greek style yogurt would work too. Would make it more tangy though...
__________________
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 37,451
Cottage cheese is the closest you can get to ricotta.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Cook
 
potsnpanties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 98
Depending on the type of ricotta used in the recipe (smooth blend ricotta you get in tubs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket VS non-blended still whole ricotta from delis), cottage cheese or Mascarpone could be the way to go as both are usually the most commonly associated as substitutions. Since you're blending the mixture it wouldn't matter so much texture wise.

Just a thought - you could always test combining the two (cottage cheese and Mascarpone that is) to get the closest texture/taste to Ricotta. Perhaps lean a little more towards a bit more cottage cheese than Mascarpone, just in case there's too much of a bitter 'bite' to it since it's usually made with creme fraiche/tartaric acid/buttermilk which would take away the replication of that Ricotta taste.

Or I'm just totally over-thinking it . Good luck!
__________________
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
Depending on the type of ricotta used in the recipe (smooth blend ricotta you get in tubs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket VS non-blended still whole ricotta from delis), cottage cheese or Mascarpone could be the way to go as both are usually the most commonly associated as substitutions. Since you're blending the mixture it wouldn't matter so much texture wise.

Just a thought - you could always test combining the two (cottage cheese and Mascarpone that is) to get the closest texture/taste to Ricotta. Perhaps lean a little more towards a bit more cottage cheese than Mascarpone, just in case there's too much of a bitter 'bite' to it since it's usually made with creme fraiche/tartaric acid/buttermilk which would take away the replication of that Ricotta taste.

Or I'm just totally over-thinking it . Good luck!
Isn't Mascarpone pretty expensive? This thread has got me thinking more along the cottage cheese idea. It's totally different when used as a topping for Hamburger Onion Pie when mixed with beaten egg.

Of course this is a little off topic for the OP. When used in a pudding texture/moisture would have to be a factor. I like the idea of tofu as a substitute, but have no idea about using it in a pudding.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 37,451
Cottage cheese is the most like ricotta. Mascarpone is expensive, delicious and rich but I think it's more like cream cheese.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Cottage cheese is the most like ricotta. Mascarpone is expensive, delicious and rich but I think it's more like cream cheese.
Hmmm. Cream cheese blended with cottage cheese? Hmmm!

Now you see why I never get to clean out my freezer. So many inspiring ideas to try!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Cook
 
potsnpanties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Isn't Mascarpone pretty expensive? This thread has got me thinking more along the cottage cheese idea. It's totally different when used as a topping for Hamburger Onion Pie when mixed with beaten egg.

Of course this is a little off topic for the OP. When used in a pudding texture/moisture would have to be a factor. I like the idea of tofu as a substitute, but have no idea about using it in a pudding.
Hmm if you're buying pre-packaged in tub Ricotta, then yes, in comparison Mascarpone is likely to be more expensive (I wouldn't call it an outrageously pricey cheese, but it isn't el cheapo). Having said that it can always boil down to what you're actually using in the first place. In the case of a pudding like the OP has listed, I was wondering if cottage cheese on its own wouldn't be firm enough, so a mixture of cottage and Mascarpone would theoretically give a better, more similar texture and feel to Ricotta (at least cottage cheese I've seen, seems to be with a higher water content compared to Ricotta).

Tofu I actually have no experience in using in a pudding form you'd have to compensate for the blandness, and again its water content. I guess what kind of pudding the recipe is meant to result in is also a clear factor.

See this is what happens, I get curious then start over-thinking scenarios !
__________________

__________________
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Cooking News & Tips Straight to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Cooking info to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]