Sugar vs HFCS - The Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just had to go check the 2 bottles of Bullseye in the pantry, they were BOGO last week so I bought a couple, they still have sugar, I'll check in my store to see if the HFCS version has shown up yet. This ticks me off, because it was the only one in the store that still had sugar. I'll have to get mine at trader joe's now.

As I stated in another thread, check out the line of Weber BBQ sauces. All use sugar and molasses.

I checked out our stock of bullseye, and the new stock does indeed have hfcs listed as the FIRST ingredient, where the older stock has sugar listed as the SECOND ingredient.

I'm going to have to come up with a good sauce recipe and can it.

My usual reaction to a new finding is to shake my head and wonder how long before this is found to be incorrect. Sadly, the retraction never gets the same level of attention from the press.

I'd rather eat foods containing leaf lard than highly sweetened foods; worked for my grandparents, hope it works for me and that big bro (e.g. CDC & CMS) does not get more control over what I can eat. Lean pork is a disaster.

Last edited:
I've become fed up with "studies". I am going to eat REAL food with as little additives as possible and hope for the best.

i agree with you. look at how long our grandparents lived. i know they ate fat, sugar,red meat. hard to find fish in rural tennessee, unless you caught it yourself. i go with flow and just try to do my best to go low on things, that will raise my blood sugar. i do use splenda for my coffee. if i used sugar, (four spoons) the blood sugar would really go up.

I've become fed up with "studies". I am going to eat REAL food with as little additives as possible and hope for the best.
+1 That is my approach. Luckily, I am not a sugar-addict. I can take sweets or leave them. I do, admittedly, like the odd 12-oz. can of Coke or a small A&W rootbeer, but that is about 1-2x/month, if that often. Most of the time, I drink water or Seltzer to which I might add some freshly-squeezed lime juice, cider vinegar, or another vinegar.

It seems that it is or at least has been a confusing issue. Come to find out, according to a number of news reports, in May of this year, the Corn Refiners Association was denied by the FDA in their petition to allow HFCS to be called "corn sugar." Now the only use I have ever knowingly made of "corn sugar" was back in the days when I was homebrewing beer. I used it to naturally condition (carbonate) the beer in the bottling process. All this leads me to a number of questions. I will only pose one here....does anyone know whether Karo Corn syrup--light or dark...(been used for years in all manner of recipes) is now or has ever been HFCS?

As far as I know, Karo Corn syrup has never been composed of High Fructose Corn Syrups. It is a regular/natural Fructose product. But maybe you better check before you buy it.

Until a year or two ago Karo had both corn syrup and hfcs, the only way to avoid hfcs was to get the "light" version. I noticed last year that they were touting "no high fructose corn syrup" I was glad to see it, I had been using a store brand that didn't contain hfcs, but that disappeared from the shelves. So for a while Karo, did contain hfcs.

I've noticed lots of products in the grocery store that are now being labeled as no HFCS or pure sugar.

I have a theory that larger quantities of sugars derived from corn are being diverted to Ethanol production and food producers are substituting cane or beet sugar in their recipes because of increased competition.

This would certainly account for the number of products now available without HFCS. Only natural that the marketing spin would tout health benefits and prominent tags on labels.

Just my .02

PrincessFiona60 said:
Since I never use karo I had no idea. I use Lyle's Golden Syrup...cane syrup.

I've never used that, how does it taste? Can you use it the same as corn syrup, say in pecan pie?

I've noticed lots of products in the grocery store that are now being labeled as no HFCS or pure sugar.

I have a theory that larger quantities of sugars derived from corn are being diverted to Ethanol production and food producers are substituting cane or beet sugar in their recipes because of increased competition.

This would certainly account for the number of products now available without HFCS. Only natural that the marketing spin would tout health benefits and prominent tags on labels.

Just my .02

That could be part of it, I also think it is the mumbled outcry against HFCS's.

Back
Top Bottom