"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

I just think it is prudent to eat foods that do not have added sugar of any kind....learn to appreciate food without that "sweet" component...Learn to drink black tea / iced tea without sugar, coffee, etc.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I just don't like the idea that the food industry is cramming HFCS down our throats not because it's good for us but because it's cheaper for them to produce sugary foods if they don't have to buy real sugar.

And worse, they've used this cheap sugar replacement to offer unhealthy sugary (high in "junk" calories) food which tempts people who are on a small food budgets to substitute cheap sugary foods instead of healthy but more expensive alternatives.

I'm glad I don't have a sweet tooth. (I have a salt tooth.) These HFCS foods don't tempt me, but what bothers me is that they're sneaking it into our other foods too. KC Masterpiece (original) is my favorite BBQ sauce. I hadn't noticed that they sneaked HFCS into it. And worse, maybe all BBQ sauces will contain HFCS, because they can sell it at 1-2 cents less per bottle.
This is why I make my own marinades, BBQ sauces, etc. I can control what goes in re: sweetner.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I tried all the artificial sweeteners. They all left a metallic taste in my mouth. Fortunately I am not a sweets eater. So I decided I would give up ALL sweets as long as I could have real sugar in my coffee. I also became a label reader. I was mainly looking for ....ose sweeteners. Shopping became quite a challenge.

At that time I also was trying to get all the chemicals out of my body. I feel so much better when I cook from scratch than when using convenience foods. I use real butter because the margarines, and other spreads are mostly oils and chemicals. And you can't even compare the flavor. Real cheese is in my diet. Processed, cheese products, etc. are not real cheese. They are altered products. I am a real person. And I want real food. I drink whole milk. My bone density is high. I use half and half or real light cream in my coffee. But I drink black tea with a small amount of sugar.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It was divine and way too small...I didn't know it was filled, nice surprise.

This experiment is important for folks who do not check their sugars, too.

Based on a study I read on NIH.gov about 8 months ago, the body uses the glucose component right away, fructose takes the body some work to break down so it is apt to store it as glucagon, what your body uses for emergency stores, when starving or in "Fight or Flight" responses...that rush of adrenalin uses up glucagon.

However, High Fructose Corn Syrups are manufactured, the body recognizes part of it but is not up to doing much with it, especially if it has a constant flush of them through the system. So the body stashes it in your liver after converting it to another energy source... FAT! This it creating fatty livers and fat people and also exhausts the body's ability to use it's own insulin effectively. There are your Type II Diabetics.
I believe this. In 2000 I weighed 270 lbs. I went to the doctor and had abnormal liver function, went for a sonogram and had fatty liver. I drank regular soda filled with hfcs. I went on a diet and lost a ton of weight and drank a lot of diet soda, the fatty liver corrected itself.

I gained the weight back, and then some, 290 lbs, still drinking diet soda, I had 6 month checkups because I was on Lipitor and a blood pressure med, and every 6 months there would be a liver function test, always came out normal (even before starting the meds). The only difference I wasn't drinking regular soda with hfcs.

Now I have most of the weight off again, and am off the meds, no diet soda, avoid hfcs whenever possible. I have a bit of Natural Bliss creamer (milk, cream, sugar, natural flavor) in my coffee with a packet of stevia sweetener. I use soda as a treat, and when I do have one, it is a real sugar sweetened Coke at the Farmer's market or a Sierra Mist (real sugar). When I get the Sierra Mist I usually share it with my partner, because the 20 oz bottle is almost too much. If you had told me a few years ago that I'd share a 20 oz bottle of soda with someone, I'd tell you that you were nuts! I have my hypoglycemia under control, what used to be a daily occurrence, is now a very rare one, and I know is has something to do with the hfcs, and artificial sweeteners.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I just think it is prudent to eat foods that do not have added sugar of any kind....learn to appreciate food without that "sweet" component...Learn to drink black tea / iced tea without sugar, coffee, etc.
Well, I put milk in my black tea.

That rose hip and hibiscus tea we had was, of course, unsweetened.

A long time ago I put sugar in my coffee. I decided not to. I drank half strength coffee with extra cream for a couple of weeks. Now I can't stand sugar in my coffee.

A few years ago Stirling cut out the three teaspoons of sugar he was used to putting in his tea and coffee. In a period of about two months he lost 20 pounds. That was the only change in his diet.

My mother was diagnosed with type II diabetes in the '60s. I have considered it prudent to keep my sugar intake down, for a very long time.

We don't intentionally eat artificial sweeteners. When I buy ginger ale (it helps settle an upset tummy), I read the ingredients, looking for the sugar. I hate when I accidentally get the artificially sweetened stuff and the labels aren't all that clear.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

You do know you can make your own ginger ale by steeping ginger root and adding that to club soda/seltzer?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

PS--that tea was very refreshing. What brand is that? Or did you blend two?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #68
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I just don't like the idea that the food industry is cramming HFCS down our throats not because it's good for us but because it's cheaper for them to produce sugary foods if they don't have to buy real sugar.
Unfortunately, the food industry is an industry, and the bottom line is to minimize expenses and maximize profits for the shareholders. Most of them stopped caring decades ago.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
You do know you can make your own ginger ale by steeping ginger root and adding that to club soda/seltzer?
I did not know that. Will give it a try.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I did not know that. Will give it a try.
You can make a ginger syrup using fresh ginger root (but that needs sweetner) or you can steep it as if you were going to make ginger tea and add that to seltzer/club soda. The more ginger used, the stronger the ginger flavor.

Tags
sugar