"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I keep carrots covered in the ground all winter. Up until last night, I still had celery. Yesterday I uncovered it and forgot to recover it for last night. It was 19*F this morning and I know it is dead. I didn't have the energy to go see it today. I still have cabbage and broccoli I am harvesting, and parsley.
Lots of celery for the vegi stock

Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Here, I love winter but I'm having a hard time planting herb during winter. :(

Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 AM   #13
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I have two Rosemary bushes that I harvest from all year. I am still picking oregano, sage and thyme from my outdoor pots. I also have thyme, parsley, chives, and some basil in pots in my greenhhouse. I'm not sure how much longer the basil will last but the others should last through the winter, as long as I remember to water them.
I echo this entirely but no greenhouse...all outdoors...otherwise, same story here. Except I just lost about half of my basil to an early morning frost. Haven't checked out my thyme since my daughter heavily pruned it for a frilly decorative wreath around the Thanksgiving Turkey...oh well, that was her "dish" this year...I had to let go and let my kids be creative...it was time they learned the ropes and losing an abundance of thyme was worth it. I do love 'em

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
Executive Chef

- 7 o celcius here last night, I love it because it kill a lot of the garden pests, we had the best crops this year, very few bugs, last winter was the coldest for a long long time -18oc.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I didn't check the weahter forecast last night. It dropped down to 30 F and I didn't turn on the heater in the greenhouse before I went to bed. I'm sure the basil is lost. I won't know until the sun comes up.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Oh, I envy those of you with greenhouses. <sigh> "One of these days, maybe..." she muses. (Actually, with the amount of room we have, if I do anything it will be to get chickens, not put in a green house.)

But those of you in the warm states can keep all that! I love me some wonderfully cold winter weather. I'll give up fresh herbs and veggies year-round for the snow and cold.

I'm going to harvest the last of my herbs today and use up what I can and take some in to work if others want to use them. I wish I could over-winter vegetables this year, but because of a home improvement project, I had to use a community garden plot this year instead of my own backyard garden... and they won't let you leave anything in the ground at the community garden even if you're planning to use the same space next year.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I have a recommendation for some winter time reading....Eliot Coleman has long been one of my hero's....he gardens year round in Maine and has written two books on how to do it..

Four Season Farm - Welcome to the site of Eliot Coleman and Barbara Damrosch
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I loved seeing them on tv years ago. They were so down to earth in their practices and so helpful. They are the very reason I began composting. They had several methods that were easy for anyone without spending on stuff that may or may not work. I'll try to get the books - although their location is as far north as ours is south.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I have a recommendation for some winter time reading....Eliot Coleman has long been one of my hero's....he gardens year round in Maine and has written two books on how to do it..

Four Season Farm - Welcome to the site of Eliot Coleman and Barbara Damrosch
Ooooh, thank you. I will check that out. For now it is bookmarked. I love stuff like that. My "yard" is 14'x16', so not a whole lot of gardening for now.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #20
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Check out these

Flowerhouses.com - Self Erecting Portable Greenhouses And Garden Furniture

The Farmhouse is the model I started out with a few year ago (it was named something else then but that was the size). It worked great and I used one of those radiator-shapped electric heaters in it during the winter. Since it is collapsable you cannot leave it up all year with out builing a support frame ( I learned that the hard way).

I grew lettuce, spinach and kept my herbs and also my geraniums in it all winter. They are great little greenhouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Oh, I envy those of you with greenhouses. <sigh> "One of these days, maybe..." she muses. (Actually, with the amount of room we have, if I do anything it will be to get chickens, not put in a green house.)

But those of you in the warm states can keep all that! I love me some wonderfully cold winter weather. I'll give up fresh herbs and veggies year-round for the snow and cold.