"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Was it good?... as well as memorable?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I attended an event wih Herve This, Ferran Adria and a Chef from Chicago name Grant Achatz ( I think thats how you spell his name). Pretty crazy stuff , but very fun.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
I attended an event wih Herve This, Ferran Adria and a Chef from Chicago name Grant Achatz ( I think thats how you spell his name). Pretty crazy stuff , but very fun.
... and I'll bet it tasted good, too!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I started my food career back in the 50s when City Hall was across the street from the YWCA and the Mayor came for lunch most days. I had all the basics: no pre-oackaged food, better than average service and white linens. It wasn't top drawer, but it wasn't Kresgee lunch counter either. It was okay, but I didn't really fall in love nor appreciate fine dining until I walked into a huge commercial kitchen mangaed by a authentic executive chef who was born in Germany before WWII. When I had the time I studied him because he made the art of cooking and plating look easy and fun. That was the era of prime rib, aged steaks and French Roquefort.

Nothing stays the same. The French chef Henri did marvelous tricks with fresh veggies, sauces and pastry to die for. The Spanish chef had marveous soups, and the Italian chef - what can you say bad about regional Italian foods. About that time I came to the realization I did not have the upper body strength nor the stamina to open my own as age was not my best friend.

I walked away with longtime friends, great recipes and an exposure to wonderful foods and cooking techniqes/tools from around the world. Now it's foam on a plate instead of Rediwhip and USDA beef grades that are a mystery. I wish I was back in the commercial kitchen but I don't envy any executive chef today as the workload has to be astronomical.

Here's and old kitchen toast to my friends:

May your kitchen alway be clean,
May your fires remain hot, and your temper cool
And may you never cook your own goose.

Two more holidays and we're out of it for one more year. :-)
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Chef BamBam
Is it Upscale Cuisine

I can only say one thing about it, and the problem that I have with shows such as Top Chef is that it is alot of plate presentation. You dont see alot of building flavors. I have been in Professional kitchens since I was 5 years old. It is great to see that side of the business, but it is not something that the home cook is going to do.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Senior Cook

It is an interesting point

You don't see the building flavors but you see de-construction. For a home cook, how do you construct a food you can't pronounce and didn't see pre-pared?. I understand it in principle but how can you do it with foods that are vailable in most rural grocery stores that only carry basics? If Iwant shallots I have to drive 50 miles. .