Turmeric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petey

Senior Cook
Does anyone know how to add turmeric to their daily dishes or if its only used in specific dishes? I reacently read that turmeric is known to lower bad cholesterol and i'd like to start using it daily if possible.

Any ideas?

Painting with a broad brush here....but I suppose one could add it to most anything...It will change the color of what you put it in...Tumeric is what gives prepared mustard the yellow color...Many.. but not all curry powders have tumeric in it...Maybe others can be more recipe specific..

turmeric has a very mild dry flavor and is often undetectible. the color is very yellow. One can add it to stews, rice dishes, caseroles, salad dressings, spice rubs, and on it goes.

It is a sort of "miracle" spice to read about it. I imagine that health food stores carry it in tablets. But add it as you want. Another cholesterol lowering spice is cinnamon--easy to add to lots of things too.

Turmeric fresh and ground is used primarily in Asian cooking mostly in curries as well as to flavour rice. You might want to do a search in this forum for available recipes.

You can use turmeric powder in almost anything so long as you don't mind the yellow colour. It has excellent antiseptic properties. As a kid whenever I got cuts mom would dab a bit of this. It stopped the bleeding and has healing properties too. We put it in a lot of our traditional dishes.

You must buy some fresh turmeric, sqeeze on some lemon/lime and eat them, it doesnt taste that good but since wellbeing is what you're looking at, taste takes a backseat. The lighter yellow shade of turmeric is milder though.

I take an herbal supplement called Curcumin, it is 95% tumeric. You can't possibly eat enough tumeric to reach your daily requirement. I get a little psoriasis in the winter and I take curcumin to help my skin.

I see there is a lentil thread here today - I was looking for a lentil soup recipe the other day and found one that included adding turmeric to give the soup a smokey flavour. I didn't have any, so went out and bought some to try next time. I hope I am not confusing this with cumin!

It's really good with cauliflour. I add a little to the water I boiled the the veggies in and toss back in.

it can also be used quite effectively in Sweet dishes too, and not just main course savory :)

infact the smell of ground turmeric smells almost Chocolate(ish) to me anyway.

I occasionally make Tumeric garlic rice. goes well with a bland stew. Boil water for rice,add crushed garlic and tumeric when rice is washed, add and cook until ready. Serve with a bland stew(no spices or very little or just adding coconut to the stew)

I was introduced to tumeric when I began exploring Indian vegetarian cooking about 5 years ago. I buy powdered tumeric (along with other spices) at a store that caters to an Indian clientele.

I use tumeric primarily as a colorant and secondarily as a seasoning. As a colorant, it is used with grains, beans/legumes and vegetables in many cuisines. Spice blends and spice rubs may use tumeric in greater quantities, in which case it is also a seasoning.

Be aware that tumeric *stains EVERYTHING* - your counter, your towels, your apron - even your hands. I have never been able to get it out of fabric. I think I read somewhere that it is also used as a dye.

Tumeric can definitely enhance your cooking, but I think that, in general, the amount used is so small that it wouldn't have measureable health benefits just by itself (just my opinion :rolleyes: ) but it is definitely worth exploring.

Last edited:
Sandyj said:
I see there is a lentil thread here today - I was looking for a lentil soup recipe the other day and found one that included adding turmeric to give the soup a smokey flavour. I didn't have any, so went out and bought some to try next time. I hope I am not confusing this with cumin![/quote

Yup, I think that would be cumin with the smokey flavor.]

I put turmeric in lentil dishes; in rice; with Bazaar Potatoes; with Golden Cauliflower; with Fish Molee; with Hyderabad Tomatoes; with Aubergines; with Biryani; in Aviyal;

hey I could go on and on.

For me it has a musky, slightly earthy flavour, not too pronounced until you use a lot of it - which will then overpower your dish and colour it bright yellow.

If you want to make a simple Indian meal, cook up the ingredient of your choice with 2 tsps ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground turmeric.

I'd not take the news that it's a "Miracle Antioxidant" too seriously, otherwise you may end up having turmeric waffles, turmeric burgers and TurMac and Cheese. Provided you eat a good balanced diet with plenty of FRESH vegetables, you'll be all right!

I often use a bit of tumeric powder in scrambled eggs with onions, chicken soup, brown rice dishes. And curry, of course. Just a sprinkle. I keep it in a jar with a shaker top to make it easier to use. Adds a nice depth of color and flavor when used in small amounts.

I would generally agree that in small quantities, turmeric simply imparts a yellow color into whatever you add it to. Most folks I know think its nothing more than powdered yellow food coloring. It definitely has a distinct flavor though, and I love it. Its really great to ad to curries, and certain stir-fries as well. It also happens to be the secret ingredient for my lo mein.

Back
Top Bottom