"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
Sous Chef
I occasionally make Tumeric garlic rice. goes well with a bland stew. Boil water for rice,add crushed garlic and tumeric when rice is washed, add and cook until ready. Serve with a bland stew(no spices or very little or just adding coconut to the stew)

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Sous Chef
I was introduced to tumeric when I began exploring Indian vegetarian cooking about 5 years ago. I buy powdered tumeric (along with other spices) at a store that caters to an Indian clientele.

I use tumeric primarily as a colorant and secondarily as a seasoning. As a colorant, it is used with grains, beans/legumes and vegetables in many cuisines. Spice blends and spice rubs may use tumeric in greater quantities, in which case it is also a seasoning.

Be aware that tumeric *stains EVERYTHING* - your counter, your towels, your apron - even your hands. I have never been able to get it out of fabric. I think I read somewhere that it is also used as a dye.

Tumeric can definitely enhance your cooking, but I think that, in general, the amount used is so small that it wouldn't have measureable health benefits just by itself (just my opinion ) but it is definitely worth exploring.

subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
Sous Chef
[quote=Sandyj]I see there is a lentil thread here today - I was looking for a lentil soup recipe the other day and found one that included adding turmeric to give the soup a smokey flavour. I didn't have any, so went out and bought some to try next time. I hope I am not confusing this with cumin![/quote

Yup, I think that would be cumin with the smokey flavor.]
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef
I put turmeric in lentil dishes; in rice; with Bazaar Potatoes; with Golden Cauliflower; with Fish Molee; with Hyderabad Tomatoes; with Aubergines; with Biryani; in Aviyal;

hey I could go on and on.

For me it has a musky, slightly earthy flavour, not too pronounced until you use a lot of it - which will then overpower your dish and colour it bright yellow.

If you want to make a simple Indian meal, cook up the ingredient of your choice with 2 tsps ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground turmeric.

I'd not take the news that it's a "Miracle Antioxidant" too seriously, otherwise you may end up having turmeric waffles, turmeric burgers and TurMac and Cheese. Provided you eat a good balanced diet with plenty of FRESH vegetables, you'll be all right!
cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
Senior Cook
I often use a bit of tumeric powder in scrambled eggs with onions, chicken soup, brown rice dishes. And curry, of course. Just a sprinkle. I keep it in a jar with a shaker top to make it easier to use. Adds a nice depth of color and flavor when used in small amounts.
TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #16
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I would generally agree that in small quantities, turmeric simply imparts a yellow color into whatever you add it to. Most folks I know think its nothing more than powdered yellow food coloring. It definitely has a distinct flavor though, and I love it. Its really great to ad to curries, and certain stir-fries as well. It also happens to be the secret ingredient for my lo mein.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote