"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Turning leftovers into new meals

Another post got me thinking about this. Part of the post had to do with mashed potatoes and people were discussing using leftover mashed potatoes to make potato soup or shepards pie. What are some other leftover foods that you make into something completely different a day or so later?

Old 01-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

just about every kind of meat can be put into tomato sauce and simmered the next day. i've had grilled-on the bone chicken breasts and thighs, hamburgers, fish, pork chops, lamb chops, veal shanks, and sliced pot roast all simmered in sauce...

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Certified Executive Chef

my all time favorite, Norwegian flatbread called lefse. Disucssed here before, however, all you do is take the leftover mashed potatoes and add enough flour to be able to roll out thin and bake on a flat, greaseless pan, I have a sole purpose baker for this. Then you can eat hot with butter only, or butter and cinnamon sugar, or stuff with meat and/or cheese, or even jam.

I am not fond of leftovers, so when II cook I measure carefully so that there are no leftovers. I do however love to have some roast beef or chicken for a cold sandwich the next day. I do not reheat meat.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
my all time favorite, Norwegian flatbread called lefse. Disucssed here before, however, all you do is take the leftover mashed potatoes and add enough flour to be able to roll out thin and bake on a flat, greaseless pan, I have a sole purpose baker for this. Then you can eat hot with butter only, or butter and cinnamon sugar, or stuff with meat and/or cheese, or even jam. .
That sounds really good! If only Eugene would get some snow, I'd come have some with you!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Quote:
my all time favorite, Norwegian flatbread called lefse. Disucssed here before, however, all you do is take the leftover mashed potatoes and add enough flour to be able to roll out thin and bake on a flat, greaseless pan, I have a sole purpose baker for this. Then you can eat hot with butter only, or butter and cinnamon sugar, or stuff with meat and/or cheese, or even jam. .
That sounds really good! If only Eugene would get some snow, I'd come have some with you!
YOu would be welcome, PA.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
YOu would be welcome, PA.
:D
Old 01-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I actually keep a document on my that lists what can be done with certain leftovers. Here's part of that list:

Turkey and Chicken:
Turkey/Chicken Noodle/Rice Soup
Turkey/Chicken Enchiladas
Turkey/Chicken Sandwiches
Turkey/Chicken Tetrazzini
Hot Turkey/Chicken Sandwiches w/ gravy
Turkey/Chicken Tamales
Turkey/Chicken Tacos
Turkey/Chicken Pot Pie
Turkey/Chicken Jambalaya
Pulled BBQ sandwiches

Ham:
Cube and add to beans or soup, especially if you have the bone to work with.
Finely chop the ham, and use for omelets, or for some Jambalaya.
Slice it thin and use for sandwiches.
Add diced ham to salads.

Roast Beef:
Pulled BBQ sandwiches
Tamales
Tacos
Pot Pie
Slice thinly, and use for sandwiches

Roast Pork:
Pulled BBQ sandwiches
Slice thinly, and use for sandwiches
Old 01-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I actually keep a document on my that lists what can be done with certain leftovers. Slice thinly, and use for sandwiches
Boy, are you organized! Thanks AllenMI!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Heck, if I didn't have a pc, I'd be lost. To think, 10 years ago, I didn't even want one!

I'm going to be creating a document soon, listing all the serial numbers for stuff I have. I'm going to keep a printed hardcopy stashed with my other hardcopy documents, along with making two copies on diskette, and keeping one here in the house, and one at a separate location. Of course, that's always a good idea for any and all computer data.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #10

Neither my wife's parents, nor my parents were "rich" monetarely, at least, and so exigencies such as "eating leftovers" were necessary...

Struck by this same "Brand of Cain", we are about the same, and manage to avoid throwing away very little in terms of "leftovers"...

Veggies are the easiest to "predict" in volumes, and I admit no big issue over "dumping" a few spoonfulls of carrots, peas, beans whatever, that I just lack fridge space to bother with...

For mashed potato, you can always boil up a couple "fresh" and add the "cold mashed" in with them, it works pretty good...

Or usethe "cold mashed" to "cut" the sharp taste of mashed turnip/rutabaga, or perhaps use in the "twice baked" sweet potato thing?

With larger, salvageable amounts of veggies, there's always the "steamer basket", or, in a pinch, the microwave...

We tend to make a "ton" of gravy with any given roast or chicken/turkey...there are a few ways to make this "larger in volume" than otherwise, so just using a bit of water, then warming up gravy, then adding leftover meat slices...well there you go with the mashed potato, or a "hot whatever" open faced sandwich...

Sandwiches (cold), obviously...

"Pot Pies" of many flavours and sources...

Pre-prepped and sealed meals for re-heating at work, or "frozen dinners", c/w veggies (requires some "creative" cookware, but the money you save makes this attractive)

Ham in sandwiches, casseroles, pea/bean soups, omelets, "fried ham sandwiches", "chopped ham salads", even homemade pizza, in a pinch!

Chicken/turkey salads, chopped ham salads...

Stir fried "beef and broccholi" (all the "Chinese Food" knockoffs...)(Use that "wok" to stir fry!)

Stews! Chili's!

Grated beef, pork and veal for cabbage rolls...

And, of course, the ultimate last use..."soup's"...or indeed, "blenderised", "stocks"...

All it takes is an active imagination, and a very little effort...plus, I guess, some experience of trying to "stretch" the cooking budget and/or some "hardware" (ie appliances!) to effect the same

And the subsequent meals come out pretty good!

Lifter