"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Variations on the ubiquitous NYE queso dip...

It is the time of year when Velveeta will be a hotter commodity than gold.

Millions will make Velveeta dip for NYE, and most will do the basic Velveeta and Rotel combo dip. But DC members aren't most people.

So, share your own favorite ways to make this NYE traditional artery-clogging treat.

I like to add some Campbell's cheddar soup and crumbled pork sausage to mine. I'm hoping to read some alternatives before I go shopping.

CD

Old 12-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanks for the reminder. Will check with the boss before making a shopping list, if this is a possibility.

This is what we add:
1 package Jimmy Dean hot sausage, cooked and crumbled
about 3 small diced jalapeno or serrano chili peppers, some seeds
Frito scoopers

I wonder if a tsp smoked paprika would be good.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I hope this works:

Buffalo Chicken Dip
Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Since I've been making cheese, sometimes I run into a crumbly cheese, not as melty as I want. This kind of cheese sauce gets nice and smooth no matter what kind of cheese. I use it for mac & cheese and cheese dips, and cheesy potatoes and it would make a great queso dip with salsa.
Simple and fast
2 teaspoons sodium citrate
1 and 1/2 cups broth, milk, water, your choice
4 cups of cheese shredded or crumbled
Heat the sodium citrate in the liquid, then whisk in the cheese, 10 minutes in all and it is beautiful stuff.
Melty Queso Dip | Modernist Cuisine
With Queso dip, we use our homemade salsa but chunky chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, red and green peppers are great to stir in.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

My only hint is that if you live near an Aldi store, use their version of Velveeta. It's smoother, creamier, and not as salty. Oh, and it's just a bit more than half the price of a 2# brick of Velveeta. I won't go back to Velveeta after using Aldi "Clancy Cheese Melt".

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I stir in chili (no beans) into my melted Velveeta.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm afraid to say that I've never made it. We don't really do much for NYE these days. We use it more as a holiday from the holidays, just recovering from the last week of festivities. We had a couple of friends over to dinner tonight, and that should pretty much close out the year for us.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
My only hint is that if you live near an Aldi store, use their version of Velveeta. It's smoother, creamier, and not as salty. Oh, and it's just a bit more than half the price of a 2# brick of Velveeta. I won't go back to Velveeta after using Aldi "Clancy Cheese Melt".
I have two ALDI stores very near me. I've never bought anything from them, but the lower salt content has my attention. I'll take your word for it that it is smoother and creamier, too.

Thanks!

cD
Old 12-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I stir in chili (no beans) into my melted Velveeta.
My imagination tells me that probably has a good flavor, but I'm not so sure about the texture. Hmmmmmm.

CD
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

You're welcome! We first started shopping Aldi in the second half of the 1980s - they were in our part of OH back then. They didn't move into New England until the second half of the 20-aughts, though. Way back when, their products were hit-or-miss. Good enough for scout outings, but not standard family meal items. I bought milk/eggs and some produce, mostly.

When we renewed our acquaintance up here, I was surprised at how big of a leap the product quality had taken! Item for item, I think their knock-off of what we've bought name brand at other stores is just as good, and sometimes better. The price difference is worth the difference in miles (8 to Market Basket, 14 to Aldi).

OH, and if you like Girl Scout cookies, it's really hard to tell the difference between the Thin Mints or the Samoas to the Benton brand. Just make sure you still buy some boxes of cookies from those cute scouts.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dip