"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #371
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Sorry JoAnn. I hate to hear when people are forced to eat foods, particularly forced to eat everything on their plate. I think this a common reason for food aversions.

I was forced to eat vegetables to some degree when I was a kid. I didn't like them much as a young adult but when I got older I acquired a real taste for vegetables and now I crave them (most of them).
My youngest daughter hated peas. But there was a rule at the table. You had to eat half of everything on your plate. So I made sure that I had mashed potatoes whenever I served peas. For her I would give her two peas. One where she could see it and one hidden in her mashed potatoes. She would eat half of her potatoes after she had found the pea leaving it untouched and then cut the other pea in half. After I caught her doing that trick, I gave up. She hated peas. But I learned to give smaller portions of foods that the other kids didn't like. After a while the 'rule' went to the wayside. I didn't like using food as punishment. And that is how the kids saw it. "What did I do wrong that now I have to eat this?"

Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #372
Executive Chef

You should have made a pea and potato puree!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #373
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My youngest daughter hated peas. But there was a rule at the table. You had to eat half of everything on your plate. So I made sure that I had mashed potatoes whenever I served peas. For her I would give her two peas. One where she could see it and one hidden in her mashed potatoes. She would eat half of her potatoes after she had found the pea leaving it untouched and then cut the other pea in half. After I caught her doing that trick, I gave up. She hated peas. But I learned to give smaller portions of foods that the other kids didn't like. After a while the 'rule' went to the wayside. I didn't like using food as punishment. And that is how the kids saw it. "What did I do wrong that now I have to eat this?"
What I did when I was raising kids and now with my grandchildren is if you honestly don't like it you don't have to eat it. However if you like what is on the table it is not multiple choice. Ex. Boy # 2 said no to peas. He liked peas and they were the veggie for the meal, so yes he had to eat some.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #374
Assistant Cook

Escargot!! Add that to things I won't eat. Creeps me out as much as squid!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #375
Chef Extraordinaire

after doing some research (thanks tim), it appears eating almost all varieties of garden (aka land) snails are safe to eat. only some saltwater snails are poisonous.

i guess what you see on edited tv shows are still more accurate than what you might read on the intenet... lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #376
Executive Chef

I don't want to see land snails, freshwater snails or sea snails on my plate! If we ever discover space snails I don't want to see them either!

But I'd like to see some squids on my plate! Particularly in a Thai recipe.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #377
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
after doing some research (thanks tim), it appears eating almost all varieties of garden (aka land) snails are safe to eat. only some saltwater snails are poisonous.

i guess what you see on edited tv shows are still more accurate than what you might read on the intenet... lol.
Not the Internet, and there were some things they probably didn't explain on the show. I relied on an account of the snail festival, Foire aux Escargots, at Martigny-les-Bains, in Peter Mayle's French Lessons - Advantures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew (2001). The issue with wild snails is not a matter or inherently poisonous snails themselves. The problem is the popularity among snails that roam the fields and forests of nightshade and poisonous mushrooms. Snail festivals in France can be any time from spring through September, but this particular one is in May, if the time of year has anything to do with it, which it well might, in the case of the mushrooms. There, they starve the collected wild snails for fifteen days and put them through three washes of fresh water to rid them of their dietary toxins. Cultivated snails, of course, don't have the problem.

M.F.K. Fisher wrote about preparation of wild snails, also, in Serve It Forth (1937). She was writing about Dijon where the old man who was preparing the snails starved them for "a few days or a week" to rid them of poisons.

Cultivated snails are raised on garden/farm-like rows of what looks to me like clover. If people on the show were collecting snails from their own garden, they likely know that there's nothing poisonous for them to eat. I don't know that they qualify as "wild" snails. More like free range snails. But it's clear that snails can ingest without harm to themselves things that are toxic to humans. And I have to wonder if the purging of wild snails might also have to do with unpleasant tastes imparted by recently eaten things.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #378
Head Chef

Quote:
I don't want to see land snails, freshwater snails or sea snails on my plate! If we ever discover space snails I don't want to see them either!

Even space squid?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #379
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 AM   #380
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the explanation, glc. it's funny how easy misinformation can be spread unintentionally.

if i recall correctly, the people in the show literally were collecting snails from right around their houses and gardens. dozens at a time after a heavy rain, and like you said, kind of free range. it was almost a snail infestation from the pictures.

i know from my own garden that all you need to do is leave out some wooden planks in a loose pile near a lawn sprinkler to collect them.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote