What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There must be lots of people who love Spam because it sells, 35 M cans per year, but I can't find anyone who will admit to it! My mother used to buy Treet, by Armour. I think it is cheaper than Spam and that would be why she bought it. I haven't had it in years, but as I recall it tastes a lot better than Spam. Not as spicy. My mother used to slice it and fry it with breakfast.

Last edited:
i almost forgot to write Spam on the foods I never want to see on my plate. It looks indescribeable then in jelly on top of it! Yuck!!

Goodness, let's not get overwrought about it! ;) :LOL: Carol and sb: Do you eat pork sausage? Because Spam is just sausage in a shape that's easy to fry in a pan and put on a sandwich. If you do a search here, you'll find lots of us who admit to eating Spam, including, I'm pretty sure, a former member who was a professional chef in Hawaii where Spam is very popular.

Ingredients (from the can in my pantry): Pork with ham, salt, water, modified potato starch, sugar, sodium nitrite.

Ever roast a chicken or turkey? Ever find jelly under it after it's cooled? Same stuff as in the Spam can: Gelatin that came from the connective tissue during the cooking process.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but Spam, whatever it is, doesn't come close to any of the sausages I know and love. Other than having some commonality in manufacture - as in the yuck factor - flavor, texture, spicing - nothing the same.

Spam is spam and sausage is sausage, and never the twain shall meat! LOL!

Goodness, let's not get overwrought about it! ;) :LOL: Carol and sb: Do you eat pork sausage? Because Spam is just sausage in a shape that's easy to fry in a pan and put on a sandwich. If you do a search here, you'll find lots of us who admit to eating Spam, including, I'm pretty sure, a former member who was a professional chef in Hawaii where Spam is very popular.

Ingredients (from the can in my pantry): Pork with ham, salt, water, modified potato starch, sugar, sodium nitrite.

Ever roast a chicken or turkey? Ever find jelly under it after it's cooled? Same stuff as in the Spam can: Gelatin that came from the connective tissue during the cooking process.

My issue with Spam is not the ingredients or the gel. It's the spicy taste. That's why I like the Treet better...it's not as spicy. I was just making a point that although so much Spam is sold, I have never heard anyone admit to liking it...until now.

I'm sorry, but Spam, whatever it is, doesn't come close to any of the sausages I know and love. Other than having some commonality in manufacture - as in the yuck factor - flavor, texture, spicing - nothing the same.

Of course you're right. How utterly foolish of me to have a different opinion. I abjectly apologize.

My issue with Spam is not the ingredients or the gel. It's the spicy taste. That's why I like the Treet better...it's not as spicy. I was just making a point that although so much Spam is sold, I have never heard anyone admit to liking it...until now.

Carol, Hormel has come out with a whole new line of Spam. I will occasionally buy the Lite. Less salt and seasoning. I almost bought some yesterday when I was shopping. But the cans were on the top shelf and I didn't feel like stretching. :angel:

Fry up some thin sliced Spam, add some Velveeta, and grill on Wonder type bread in butter. :chef:

Pure comfort food. :yum:

Just don't eat it everyday. ;)

I'd happily eat this. :yum:

Then you're not a food snob.:LOL:

I simply believe folks should eat what they enjoy and not sweat the small stuff.

Excess of anything could cause problems but enjoyment of life is what really matters.

Too many times products are demonized yet there is nothing wrong with them.

Eat them to excess and you might suffer health problems.

Eat anything to excess and you might suffer health problems.

No magic formula as far as I'm concerned.

Then you're not a food snob.:LOL:

I simply believe folks should eat what they enjoy and not sweat the small stuff.

Excess of anything could cause problems but enjoyment of life is what really matters.

Too many times products are demonized yet there is nothing wrong with them.

Eat them to excess and you might suffer health problems.

Eat anything to excess and you might suffer health problems.

No magic formula as far as I'm concerned.

True. Nothing in excess. Think of how eggs, coffee and wine have been demonized as well, and are now recommended.

And I can't imagine life without bacon, but I'm just not gonna eat it everyday.

Cubed 25% less salt Spam, par-boiled potato chunks, green peppers and oinions, frid up till golden and top with egg...that's about a once a month breakfast for us.

Bacon makes the world go around. ;)

Life without bacon is not worth living. :(

I haven't had bacon for awhile but let me assure every speck of bacon has been used to flavor the dishes I've made since I last fried bacon. :yum:

(Still waiting at the PO for my SASSC from Pac.) :rolleyes:

PF. If the low salt Spam fits the bill then go for it.

Last edited:

I couldn't agree more! To get that gel in your mouth is like invisioning an eyeball or something, just plain nastey!

Back
Top Bottom