"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Master Chef

What is American food?

Inspired from another discussion, I've been thinking. Dangerous I know.

If you were opening an "American Restaurant" in a foreign country what would you name it, and what would be on the menu?

As "American as apple pie" hotdogs and hamburgers, but what else?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

First of all, it would be difficult to limit it to dishes originated in the USA.

I would include dishes from the South, such as fried chicken, gumbo, jambalaya, to name a few.

Baked beans, lobster, fresh seafood dishes.

TexMex dishes like chili.

Barbecue!

Anything with blueberries, cranberries or maple syrup.

All kinds of pies besides apple.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Along with what Andy said, I would think there would be a lot of mid-west "homey" dishes, such as pot roast, beef stew, hamburger and tomato based casseroles, etc. Like some of the things Andy mentioned, these also had their roots in European tradition.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Master Chef

Good ideas, Andy and Barbara!

I also think I'd have a typical "Thanksgiving Dinner" on the menu.

So what would you name this place?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Master Chef

Have some of those yummy fat pancakes with blueberries and I'm there!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I agree it would be hard to limit it to dishes that originated in the US. Meat loaf, pot pies, chili mac, steak & potatoes, pork chops, and macaroni & cheese are all dishes I call American, in addition to all mentioned above. We have a little place called the USA Cafe in town but I've never been there. I think I heard that they donate some of their profits to military families, pretty cool. I don't know what's on their menu either but I hope it's distinctly American :) I'm not very creative to come up with a name so it would probably be something straight-forward like USA Cafe lol.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So what would you name this place?
Bye Bye Miss American Pie

American Country Kitchen

The Statue of Liberty

Bite Me!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Executive Chef

"Foods of America"

"San Diego to Bangor"

"Meatloaf Inc"

"Pride of American Foods"
Old 08-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

Pizza/Italian/Pasta dishes and Asian dishes - #1 take out foods

"The Melting Pot"
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Included with the stuff already mentioned, chicken noodle soup with big, thick egg noodles, chicken and dumplings, brats served with potato salad and baked beans, ribs (both beef and pork), and while I'm not an alcohol drinker, bourbon and "American style" beer would probably be on the menu. I know other places have them but they still seem pretty American as far as alcohol goes. Also lots of stuff with apples. Apple pie, apple crisp, apple tarts, caramel apples, apple cider. Stuff with rutabagas such as pasties would also need to be included. Macaroni salads like the tuna noodle salads and the various varieties made with miracle whip or mayo. Several varieties of biscuits (flaky, crumbly, cakey) and dinner rolls (like the super soft potato rolls). Christmas style baked hams (I love the idea of the traditional/classic Thanksgiving turkey dinner). If I could get a reasonable supply from an environmentally conscious source, stuff like trout, whitefish, walleye. Basically freshwater fish of North America. And just because, I'd probably put peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on the menu. They seem distinctly American.

Breakfast stuff would definitely include varieties of fluffy pancakes such as plain, blueberry, buckwheat, apple cinnamon, banana walnut oat, M&M, and buttermilk. Also farmers omelets (green pepper, ham, onions, celery, hash browns, cheddar cheese), skillet breakfasts (couple types here: hash browns, sausage, bacon, ham, onions, cheese fried together and topped with eggs cooked to customer's preference; eggs scrambled with apple, green pepper, sausage, bacon or ham, onions, celery and topped with cheddar and jack) and biscuits and sausage gravy. Probably donuts too.

As for a name, "What the Crazy Americans Eat", "America is Yummy Too", or probably some other stupid name because I'm not that great at coming up with restaurant monickers.

Tags
food