What's the reason for taking out the foamy stuff in chicken stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
I often see people taking the foamy stuff out of chicken stock, and even something other than vegetarian stuff, such as taro root. Is this foamy stuff not good to eat, or it just makes stock look prettier and clearer? What's the reason to take it out? What about cooking taro soup? people take out the foamy stuff too.

thanks

The foam on simmering chicken stock is made up of proteins released from the chicken parts. IT's harmless but will cloud the stock if not removed.

I don't have a clue about taro.

Yep - it's all about clarifying the broth. Much more extreme measures are taken to ultra-clarify for a consomme. You'd be amazed...

consomme is plenty of work! it so pretty, though.
& the skimming is to keep the stock from clouding.

Yep - it's all about clarifying the broth. Much more extreme measures are taken to ultra-clarify for a consomme. You'd be amazed...

You wouldn't happen to be talking about making a mixture of raw meat ground with cilantro and other herbs, then mixed with egg white, scooped on top of the broth with a hole in the centre and a lid on top would you? :chef: Did that once in school and now I have gone back to buying the stuff from a gourmet foods shop that does it for me ;)

Absolutely. Unfortunately, I'm not a patient person in that regard. I don't mind waiting 2 hours for my dinner to cook, but the idea of standing over it for that whole two hours, skimming constantly? Ugh. And the margin for error is so razor-thin...

Chueh, the difference between stock, broth and consomme is mainly clarity, with stock being the least clear and consomme the most.

Clearing the foam and straining are necessary for all and then there are steps, and (as TMC and I illustrated) and extremes, to take to get it totally clear.

How far you have to go depends totally on what you will use it for.

Last edited:
...and extremes to take to get it totally clear.

No doubt. Ever do the "traditionalist's" double? Good lord...

Hey wait - I just spent two hours running egg whites and shin meat through this thing, now you want me to do it again?! to the same pot?! :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom