"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I made enchiladas for the first time last week. Definitely will make again, but with the tweak of toasting the flour tortilla wrapped enchiladas, without any sauce and use the warmed sauce for dipping.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I made enchiladas for the first time last week. Definitely will make again, but with the tweak of toasting the flour tortilla wrapped enchiladas, without any sauce and use the warmed sauce for dipping.
I make a dish using tortillas and after folding in my ingredients, rub them with canola oil before placing in the oven. They brown/crisp quite nicely.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I lose interest in cooking altogether if I don't try something new on a regular basis. Last week I made pork & lentil soup for the first time, delish! This week I'll be trying scalloped potatoes & ham for the first time. I'm also trying 2 new cookie/candy recipes for xmas this week. There's just too much good food out there to get stuck on a meal rotation.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
Everymom

I've done a few new things recently. I tried a new cookie recipe (ok, but we like our old standby better) I also tried a new chicken recipe, also meh.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

Just this week I made egg foo yung and sesame noodles. The egg foo yung was a combo of several recipes and we liked it. The sesame noodles came out as expected but DH didn't care for them. They were okay but not something that I really fell in love with. The egg foo yung will be made again but doubt the sesame noodles will be repeated.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I made some Alfredo sauce for the noodles. The pasta turned out not great. I guess thin means REALLY REALLY thin, because the fettuccine was too thick and heavy as a result. I'll try again and keep shooting for thinner.
A tip: After taking it out of the water, leave it on a plate and let the steam rise off it for a few minutes, before adding the sauce etc. And put it on a new plate if the plate gets wet. That can take some of the wet, gooiness off it. It worked like that for my gnocchi.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
A week ago, I have made a Chinese vegetables Spring rolls. And it turned out great!
Yummy! I make them sometimes, but I never manage to get them neatly into a roll. It generally turns square shaped, instead of like the cylinder shaped ones that are in the shops and restaurants.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No one mentioned LPB's wonderful Mushroom Gratin so many of us tried. It hasn't been all that long, but has definitely been added to our TNTs.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Taxlady's Mock Armadillo, two days ago. Turned into two days of tasty meals for two people. Was amazing how far one can stretch 1.1 lbs of ground pork and 5 strips of bacon accompanied by potatoes and some creamed weinkraut.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I made the mushroom gratin and will be doing it again, but more recently I made moussaka. That's another keeper.