Where do you buy your spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I get about 99% of my spices through Penzeys.com now. I was introduced to them by a fellow cooking/grilling friend. Everything tastes SO much fresher than grocery store spices.

I go through Penzys too. Since I have discovered them I have not looked back. Their spices are the best I have tasted around here. They also have very good prices as well.

We have a Penzey's store not too far from here. I stock up whenever I get out that way. They have great spices and they are reasonable - although I still spend a bundle when I go there.

BC

I've never been there...would love to check it out.
We usually pick up the big jars of Tone's seasonings at Sam's, and I also grow a lot of my own.
When I was in the greenhouse business (22 years) I used to get a lot from Frontier Herbs. Now they have a retail site. You have to buy them in large quantities, but you can always split with a friend, or fill small jars and include them in the Christmas baskets you give to your friends.
They are very fresh and flavorful, and they have a large variety.
http://www.frontiercoop.com/shop/merchant.mvc

Also get my spices from penzy's. My vanilla from Mexico. I haunt any friends that are taking a cruise that goes to Mexico. Last time they brought me back a quart of it and it's almost gone. Ahem, anyone here going to Mexico???

another things to note is that Penzey's always includes a 1.5 ounce bottle of something free with every order (all of mine at least). Its always like Christmas to see what they threw in for me to try.

Also, their catalog is very informative. I like reading the detailed information on pepper production and saffron. Both very informative.

Spice1133 said:
Also get my spices from penzy's. My vanilla from Mexico. I haunt any friends that are taking a cruise that goes to Mexico. Last time they brought me back a quart of it and it's almost gone. Ahem, anyone here going to Mexico???

Be careful. A lot of Mexican vanilla is bogus and poisonous. Especially if it's low priced.

http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-mexican.html

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011207.html

PENZEY's ROCKS. Their store up here opens soon! I'll meet GB there!

jennyema said:
...PENZEY's ROCKS. Their store up here opens soon! I'll meet GB there!

Jen:

I'm looking forward to the store's opening as well. Do you know where its located?

Andy M. said:
Do you know where its located?
1293 Massachusetts Ave in Arlington. (781) 646-7707

Monday-Friday
9:30 am-5:30 pm
Saturday
9:30 am-5:00 pm

We could have a mini DC meeting there :)

GB said:
1293 Massachusetts Ave in Arlington. (781) 646-7707

Monday-Friday
9:30 am-5:30 pm
Saturday
9:30 am-5:00 pm

We could have a mini DC meeting there :)

I think I'll do a drive-by and check it out.

Well I took a short ride to check out the new Penzey's store. It's in Arlington, MA, just west of Boston. For locals, it's on Mass Ave. in Arlington Heights just East of the Lexington line.

It's a reasonably good sized store. I think it used to be a Chinese restaurant. It's set up in a rustic style with lots of wood crates stacked for shelving. The lone attendant was pleasant and helpful.

The price of gas was worth the savings in shipping costs and the immediate gratification of being able to carry my spices home with me.

I bought some smoked paprika, ground chipotle (a definite smoked flavor theme here) along with cayenne and French thyme. The prices appear to be the same as the catalog.

Back
Top Bottom