"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Why does this happen when my daughter eats??

I just don't understand what cause her to do this?? I just made her a Jelly sandwhich on wheat bread and cut it in shape of Mickey Mouse hoping it would help her to try something different to eat (she clearly didn't want me to put peanut butter on it when she saw me pull it out)
Well I succeeded in getting her to take a bite to try the sandwich, as she was chewing she started to gag over and over again and was on the verge of losing it...I could tell she was trying to work through it and continue to chew so I don't believe it was purposeful...but she just kept gaging so I told her to spit it out in my hand....what causes this reaction?? This has also happened to her while eating frosting, mash potatoes, and a couple of other foods I can't think of right now. Has anyone else ever had this problem with their kid? If so is there something I can do to prevent it? I don't mean to be graphic but with the mash potatoes a tiny bite caused her to lose her WHOLE dinner and she use to LOVE mash potatoes!!!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

Awe Dee.... I wish I had some insight to this, but sadly I don't. Have you been keeping a list of the foods that she has this problem with?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Just mentally but they seem pretty random....oh and another was apple sauce, but she use to eat it daily and never had a problem before! Only thing I can think of is that its a texture thing but if so why would this suddenly start and not happen earlier...yet she eats stuff like pudding and jello so I don't really think it is that!
Grrrrr she must get this from her FATHER!!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I have been a nanny for several years now and this is totally normal for children trying new foods. It's really really frustrating as a parent or caregiver to see this happen but it happens all the time. Julia hates it when foods touch and if there's a pea in her mac and cheese she'll taste it and gag. I always keep a paper towel nearby when she eats!

For Julia it's usually a size and texture issue. If she takes too big of a bite she can't get it all down and she spits it out. If it's a new texture like mashed taters she is freaked out because the only mushy foods she's ever had...have been SWEET (yogurt, smashed nana's, ice cream etc).

I used to get so mad I'd be on the verge of screaming, but it's not worth it and really counter productive. Encourage your daughter to eat slowly and take smaller bites, also reset your expectations when giving her new foods. Have you ever been to a foreign country and tried new things? The first time I tried sushi, the combo of cold rice and avocado were enough to send me running to the restroom with a napkin over my mouth. But I love the stuff.

She'll get passed this. Julia is three now, but some of the other kids I've worked with have been as old as six when this started happening even with foods he loved dearly (like peanut butter and jelly). And that one I really don't get...I mean...who doesn't love pb&j???? ;)
Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'm so sorry this is happening. How old is she? Does she have a cold or does it happen more when she has a cold? It might have something to do with her soft palate and swallow reflex. I see it once in awhile with little ones I work with and is typically something that is easily "fixed". I would talk to your pediatrician or ENT.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Sous Chef

deelady, please tell her pediatrician. They can test for causes of this type of problem and give you guidance about how to avoid it.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Thanks, she is 2yrs now....my biggest confusion is many of the items are things she use to eat regularly! And then out of the clear blue this starts! Otherwise she is a very good eater, she can often put down more than I can! As far as being sick, she has not had a cold of any sort in over 4 months!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
deelady, please tell her pediatrician. They can test for causes of this type of problem and give you guidance about how to avoid it.

Good luck.
Agreed. I think this is a question for a professional...
Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Well I definately plan ask her doctor, but I was also wondering if this has happened to another parent on here....thought it wouldn't hurt to ask for another's experience with it.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Master Chef

Possibly the texture. My son use to gag when he tried things like applesauce, jelly etc. slimy and "bumpy"
Look at the things you listed, kinda heavy and smooth when eating them. Might be that the smoothness is causing it to enter her throat before she is ready for it too, therefore causing the gag reflex.