"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Wing sauce won't stick to the wing?

I have tried to make buffalo wings several times in the past, but I always found that without adding a large amount of cheese, the wing sauce I made could never stick to the wings. I simply followed the original recipe to melt butter and then drizzled in hot sauce, and after the wing is done baking (yea I baked them with no breading) I tossed the wing in the sauce. but the sauce always puddles at the bottom of the pan and only a little clinged on to the wings. it seems like the original wing sauce is just a bunch of grease. Is there something I'm not doing correctly?

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm not sure of how you're putting the sauce on. When I bake chicken breasts or wings in the oven and they call for a sauce, I brush them occasionally with the sauce (mixed ahead of time) through the cooking time. I also turn mine to get them evenly cooked on both sides. And, make sure your oven temp is hot enough.

Or else, you could make your sauce (butter, hot sauce) in a big enough plastic container, with a lid, and shake your wings in that, when they are done. That is what I used to do when I worked for a restaurant.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Master Chef

When I use wing sauce I drench the wings in a pot full of wing sauce after grilling them.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

it sounds like your butter to hot sauce ratio is off.

too much butter and it'll run off more. also, the wings should be cooked so that the skin is crisp, not greasy. broiling, baking, frying or grilling can accomplish this.

i broil my wings. while they're broiling, i melt 1/2 stick of butter and add a good half to 3/4 cup or more of frank's hot sauce. if i want hotter, i add powdered cayenne.

i know some people bread their wings, but for me that's more for boneless white meat which really isn't a wing. more of a chicken nugget. in the sauce, it's a buffalo style nugget. still good stuff with blue cheese dressing and celery.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Can I use tabasco sauce to make the wing sauce? It's pretty thin and melted butter is also thin. besides, tabasco sauce is meant for drizzling and not pouring in cups lol
Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

you can use whatever hot sauce you'd like. but it does need to be enough with which to toss the wings. again, it sounds to me like your sauce is mainly butter with a little hot sauce. melted butter is runny. you'll need to add more tobasco.

if the tobasco is too thin, you can thicken it a little by reducing it in a seperate pan first. but that would require some volume of it, not just a few drizzles.

hth.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
you can use whatever hot sauce you'd like. but it does need to be enough with which to toss the wings. again, it sounds to me like your sauce is mainly butter with a little hot sauce. melted butter is runny. you'll need to add more tobasco.

if the tobasco is too thin, you can thicken it a little by reducing it in a seperate pan first. but that would require some volume of it, not just a few drizzles.

hth.
yea that's what I thought lol. do you have a suggestion on a different brand of hot sauce I can use?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

the classic for buffalo wings is called "frank's hot sauce", but "crystal" or "louisiana" brand hot sauces are also good.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior Cook

thanks, I'll look for it tonight
Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I'd go with too much butter to sauce as well. My wing sauce is half a stick of melted butter (real butter), quarter cup of honey, one cup* of whatever preferred brand of hot sauce, a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.

Mix well and then toss wings in large bowl with sauce to cover.

* More or less depending on just how hot you want the sauce.

Oh, I deep fry the wings in peanut oil with a very light dusting of flour and spices. I do not like heavily breaded wings, such as Hooters.