"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Would you send it back??

When dining at a restaurant, at what point of non satisfaction woulld you actually send your plate back to the kitchen?
I have several times wanted to but rarely ever do, it would have to be severely wrong for me to send it back, like meat so raw it looks like they just seared the outside. But there have been several time I WISH I could but I guess I have that fear in the back of my head of them messing with my food! Have heard way too many stories!!
One example of me wanting to send something back but instead I just choked it down was I ordered a "Warm Bacon Vinagrette Salad" when I received it the dressing tasted like it was literally just taken from the fridge, even the bacon was not at all warm...but instead of complaining I just glumly ate it...

Any one have this issue? And how do you deal with it?

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
For me it really depends on what I'm paying... since I believe that I get what I pay for. Fast food.. I never take back, I expect to get yucky food and I get it. If I'm paying 50 dollars for my dinner I think they should get the order correct and will ask them to fix it if it's wrong and that includes too cold or under cooked.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What about an in between establishment, say 15.00 plates 9.00 salads ect..??

Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Dee I'm a complete doormat...
I don't get to go out to eat much, and when I do it's not real expensive... so like Trish said I can't expect much.
But I really wanted to at Perkins this weekend...... I think they made my fries and let them sit until everyone elses' (4) omlettes and pancakes were done.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Dee, I guess it would depend on the place and the reputation it had. I tend to put up with a lot though. I don't like to send things back, so I don't do it very often.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My best friend and her whole family in fact will send anything and everything back without hesitation! They even somehow get more meals than I can count taken off their bill! Which I always felt was not called for. But seeing them I can't help but to feel as you said Suzi, a complete doormat!
Once I even had a worm in my food and all they did was give me a free meal even though I already had a buy one meal get one free coupon....but I didn't argue I just wanted to be done with it. I did however never return to the place, not because of the worm, I understand that happens with certain veggies, but because of the attitude I received.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

lol.. even with Micky D's... the worm.. I'd return!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Executive Chef

well if it was micky d's....sadly I'd return too!!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Master Chef

I only return if something is really out of whack - i.e. I receive something I definitely didn't order (flounder stuffed with spinach instead of crabmeat) or something is totally cold (as in the case of a steak one time - actually frozen in the middle).

Unlike some folks, I never send something back simply because I decide I don't like it. I feel that that's just rude & taking advantage.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

I too rarely send something back, it has to be pretty wrong before I will. And when I do, I am very polite about it and thank them for fixing it for me. I think the worst was an Old Country Buffet that was horrible. They gave us free meal coupons to make up for it. And at fast food joints, I only go back if they gave me the wrong stuff or got something wrong or forgot something, otherwise I don't worry about it.