Review: The Impossible Burger...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
During the few days I was at the Don Orion home after my surgery, they served a veggie burger. It was well overdone. You couldn't even bite or break off a piece of it. I sent the tray back with a not too friendly note. I had the feeling that someone told the chef about the hard time the doctors had bringing me out of the anesthesia. The chef was just trying to finish what the doctors prevented from happening.

Being a vegetarian for 30 + years , I've tried the all.
Luckily I have good 'taste memory', so I do know what a good real burger ( as I remember it) tasted like.

With most veggie or vegan burgers, it's unfair to try and compare to the real thing. You just have to take it for what it is. Does it taste good ? or does it taste bad?. Could I use it as I would use a regular burger ( bun, pickle, ketchup, lettuce, mayo ... whatever you usually put on it), or not ?

Many times I see people taste a veggie or vegan burger, and make that face of disgust, then say " This taste nothing like a burger". And my response usually is, because its not !!.

For me, as long as it tastes good the way I prepare it, Im happy. Some taste good, some great, and most like crap!!.

Now, all that being said, I have tried the Impossible Burger (and Beyond Meat Burger)multiple times at multiple restaurants. And , by far, these are the closest thing to my real burger memory, as they've gotten in 30 years. "A giant leap for man kind".

I didnt have the impossible burger or beyond meat burger side by side to compare, but both scored high points.

If anyone decides to try a beyond meat burger at home, they sell fresh and frozen varieties. The fresh have a shorter shelf life span, but are far superior. The frozen ones taste like most other 'trying to taste like real meat' veggie burgers. The fresh ones more like the real thing. Also, follow the recommended cooking directs. They may look and taste like meat, but have to be treated differently than meat ( as like in most veggie imitation products).

Two of the biggest mistakes i see people make when trying a veggie imitation product is:
1) comparing it to meat when its not. ( Impossible/ beyond meat burgers an exception)
-In most cases, going in with this mentality is most likely going to leave you disappointed.
2) Trying to cook/ prepare the veggie imitation product exactly like its meat counterpart.
-In most cases, they just cant be prepared the same way due to its physical make up. Most dont have the fat content, there for they dot fry up or grill the same way. Will likely dry out and burn quicker ( and become like rocks). What I usually due is prepare them as directed, then toss them on the grill the last minute or two , to get that grill flavor.

Just as a note, Beyond Meat has just come out with Beyond Sausage. Not available in my part of the country yet, but it its as good and as ' real' as its burger counterpart, then Ill be very excited.

Back
Top Bottom