Aubergines (eggplant)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Ok if you only want to use say a quarter of an aubergine can you cover in clingfilm and use the rest another day.

Can aubergine only be steamed or fryed not boiled ?

Cheers

aubergines = eggplants, to those of us in the west.

nick, the cling wrap will help, but it will still discolor a bit.

i guess it could be boiled, but i'd definitely marinate it or flavor it in some way afterwards.

Boiling - or even steaming - would be my very last cooking choices for aubergine/eggplant. Other than those two, this versatile vegetable can be happily & tastily baked, roasted, broiled, fried, stirfried, sauteed, etc., etc., etc.

Hey, Nick........how are you???

My personal favorites are broiled and grilled........makes a great substitute for meat along with portobello mushrooms for a vegan meal .........fried with some parmesan cheese is wonderful, too......I like the small ones (Japanese) but the large ones will do, too, though I do sweat those with salt to get out the bitter juices first....

Eggplant or aubergine is so versatile. I like to make Baingan Bharta (baingan is what we call eggplant in India).

It's basically Eggplant that is roasted, you get rid of the skin and seeds, rough chop it and then cook it with onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and indian spices. You finish it with some plain yogurt, garnish with cilantro and enjoy with naan or roti.

It also is good in baba ghanoush which is a very popular middle eastern salad. In addition in India we stuff baby eggplants with spices and nuts and then cook them. It's a very versatile vegetable.

bake roast broil grill fry saute, but do not boil.

Very easy is to slice thinly, lightly brush with olive oil and grill ... top with a dressing or sauce such as marinara.

Coat in corn meal and pan fry in a bit of oil. add cheese and marinara and bake in oven unitl bubbly.

make caponata (Italian sweet and sour eggplant dish to top crustini)

Add it to a marinara and spice it up a bit (hot pepper, even a bit of cinnamon!)

make ratatouille, mousaka, baba ganoush.

I love braised eggplant, especially if you add some meat it's absolutely delicious!

I also love braised leeks and zucchini.. braising these veggies is just awesome. Try it!

Boiled itself, I wouldnt. But, simmered in a tomato sauce, or ratatoullie ( sp), not problem at all. Marinated eggplant with vinegar, sugar, garlic, oregano is nice too. Mmm, then there is always caponata.

Smoothseas - I make eggplant "lasagna-like" frequently. All you need do is slice your unpeeled eggplant lengthwise, sprinkle the slices with some olive oil & seasonings (dried Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes), & bake the slices on a baking sheet in a hot oven, turning once, until softened & lightly brown. Then just sub the slices of eggplant for the noodles in any basic lasagna recipe.

I use to grill slices of eggplants and make a quiche with tomato sauce,dried basil leaves,minced garlic,olive oil,some paprika,mozzarella,bread crumbs in the end,on top of the last dab/surface.I cook the quiche in the oven and let it cook for at least 25 minutes,at 180 degrees.

Boiling - or even steaming - would be my very last cooking choices for aubergine/eggplant. Other than those two, this versatile vegetable can be happily & tastily baked, roasted, broiled, fried, stirfried, sauteed, etc., etc., etc.

I agree, Breezy. I love eggplant, but would never think of boiling them! :ohmy:

Parmigianno, Moussaka, Melitzanosalata, Ratatouille, in Calzone, on pizze, but why boiled? :huh: I would think it would get slimy. :wacko:

I have eggplants, mozarella (not much) and tomatoes .. I'm looking for a recipe which is not too time consuming. Does anyone know a nice recipe?

A very good & simple one that I make frequently, especially in the summer when the fresh garden tomatoes are coming in.

Simply slice your eggplants about 1/2" to 1" thick & place on an oiled baking sheet. If you have them on hand, sprinkle with oregano or Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, & some extra-virgin olive oil. Bake at 425-450 degrees until slightly softened. Turn slices over, season 2nd side, & bake a few minutes again. Top each slice with a slice of tomato & a slice of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with some more extra-virgin olive oil & return to oven just until cheese melts & serve.

Back
Top Bottom