Beetroot ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Has anyone got a recipe for a sweet type pickle that won't take the roof of my mouth off! I adore beetroot cooked lots of ways or raw shreaded over salads but the vinegary sharp stuff in jars just tastes of vinegar. I grow my own so is fresh as can be. Thanks

I find this Danish recipe for pickled beets to be not too vinegary:

Scrub your beets. Leave ~1 inch of the stem. Do not cut off the tip. This is to prevent leakage of the juices. Put the beets in a pot with lots of cold water. Boil the beets for 1/2 to 1 hour, depending on the size of the beets. When they are cooked, plunge the beets into cold water. When the beets are cold enough to handle, rub off the skin. Slice into nice slices.

Put the slices in a clean jar or crock and pour the boiling pickling liquid onto the beets. If you like, include some whole cloves or slices of horseradish.

Pickling liquid for each kg (2.2 lbs) of beets:

Boil 4 dl vinegar, 2 dl water and 100-125 grams of sugar.

4 dl = 1.69070114 US cups
100 grams sugar ~= 1/2 cup
I use cider vinegar.

I've noticed Trader Joe's carries a White Balsamic Vinegar...that may be the secret ingredient for you that may not be so "vinegary sharp". I've never tried the white but I love their dark balsamic vinegar that has been aged 10 years...so mellow and delicious. I recently marinated (for 40min) portabello mushrooms in dark balsamic/garlic/basil/oliveoil and then made a sandwich with them on warmed rosemary focaccia bread adding roasted red peppers and caramelized onions. You can melt provolone cheese all over it if you want too.

mollyanne said:
I've noticed Trader Joe's carries a White Balsamic Vinegar...that may be the secret ingredient for you that may not be so "vinegary sharp". I've never tried the white but I love their dark balsamic vinegar that has been aged 10 years...so mellow and delicious. I recently marinated (for 40min) portabello mushrooms in dark balsamic/garlic/basil/oliveoil and then made a sandwich with them on warmed rosemary focaccia bread adding roasted red peppers and caramelized onions. You can melt provolone cheese all over it if you want too.

I would bet either dark or white balsamic would make a nice beet pickle. Great idea, Mollyanne!

My pickled beet recipe is similar to Taxlady's.

Thank you, dawg. I forgot to mention that I also add fresh spinach leaves which wilt nicely with the heat of the sandwich. And I add a few red pepper flakes to the marinade too but just a teensy amount...we don't want to "take the roof of your mouth off" lol

I would bet either dark or white balsamic would make a nice beet pickle. Great idea, Mollyanne!

My pickled beet recipe is similar to Taxlady's.
I think the dark balsamic would work well. It's not like it's going to discolour the beets. :LOL:

I use cider vinegar, partially because I find it has a softer taste than wine vinegar or white vinegar (which I only use for cleaning).

I find that rice vinegar is a lot milder than the standard ones we usually keep in our cupboard. They have flavored ones meant for salads. I also use apple cider vinegar. It is a lttle stronger than the rice, but not as strong as some of the others. It has a nice flavor also. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom