"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
Certified Executive Chef

My garden has herbs and I did have tomatoes until I had to pull them up because of the cold.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #12

I did not have a garden this year, but in years past, I had a vegetable garden. I garden with the Ruth Stout method of using a hay mulch.

I grew everything, including herbs, every vegetable I could think of, grapes, cherry trees, peach tree, apple trees, blackberries, and elderberries.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I had a garden for the 3 years that I lived on the farm. I dont know what I could add to the wisdom that has already been offered, except....
Grow some salad greens, you will never eat grocery store lettuce again... for real you wont like most grocercy store produce ounce you've eaten the real thing.
2nd... read... critter, varmit, pest and weed control are the hardest things, but ounce you get the hang of it it's not that bad
3rd it's addictive, it's what i miss most about not living in the country... well that and all that free heat I got from the fire place.
4th as Steven Covey might say begin with the end in mind. Be prepared to
Old 11-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Talking about this gardening stuff reminded me that my mom has a boat load of stuff coming that I have to plant... so i called her to find out when it's coming and now she wants me to call and fuss at the company...and i hit the send button when i was supposed to be hitting the phone button.
Any way
Unless you have a big family or a lot of friends you are going to grow more than you can eat. So you need away to preserve all of that summer time goodness.
You could freeze it but ya might need a lot of freezer space and it would be best if you got a foodsaver shrink wrapper vacuum sealer. Which are getting to be on sale cause the season is over.
The other thing is canning, the mason jar way, which will be on sale especially if there is a big lots anywhere close to you. And a pressure canner which tend to go on sale at wally world in the not to distant future. Also at wally world you can also find the ball guide to canning.
All this maybe way pre- mature
but you dont want to look over your garden and see a nice patch of juicy ripe strawberried, which you are all a twitter to pick and you have no way to put them up. And about this time everybody within 50 miles of you also has a field of nice big juicy starwberries and you will see them with baskets full of jelly jars in the check out line , in front of you.
Me... people think I am crazy cause I am sitting on about 1400 mason jars that someone gave my mom. I am thinking about the 4.5 kids that I want to have. That I will have to feed. Mom also gave me 60 acres. Those grandkids can start feeding themselves from the time they get big enough to walk.
Mind you, your kitchen will be an absolute mess when you finish, but you will be eating well for months if not years afterwards for free. And you can impress your friends and make them envious.
I am descending from my soap box now.
I love gardening. I grow stuff i'd never eat.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #15
Head Chef

Tomatoes, Carrots, Lettuce, Cabbege, Potatoes, Corn, Bell Peppers, Turnips, Hot Peppers, Cucumbers, Zucchini, Spaghetti Squash and Crooked Neck Squash.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
JulieV.....are there any tell tale signs that one can figure out how old a house is? Ours is plaster, not dry wall....It's old. I love it to extreme. Our other house was about 50 some years old but in WAY worse shape than this one! They have also added an addition on this one for the bathroom and laundry.....

WayneT.....I as well grew potatoes in the tyres last year! Awesome out come. Wasnt too sure if it would work but being as I wasnt allowed to have a garden it was the next best thing to try! If I had to do it again I certainly would!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:14 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

This year my wife and I bought our first house so this was also my first garden. We grew Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeños, Portuguese hot peppers, red bell peppers, fennel, cukes, zucchini, celery, red onions, basil, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, and mint. Everything grew very well. My climate is New England.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Growing veggies requires a lot more attention than I care to provide. However, I do like growing things and have variety of shrubs and perennials.

Ornamental grasses are my favorite plants. I also have viburnums, lilac, redtwig dogwood, daylilies, Nelly Stevens holly, clematis, several kinds of hostas, Russian sage, japanese maple, azalea, river birch, liriope, photinia, and probably others I have forgotten. I guess I do grow one herb - two little rosemary plants that I bought a couple of years ago have grown into monsters.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:10 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Wayne T. That's a heck of a good use for old Tyres (Tires, here in the US). Years ago, a popular vessel to use was old washer tubs.

Alas. Cost of water, lousy sandy soil, pests, and nematodes precludes me from having a cost effective garden. As it is, my water bill is approaching $200. Even with all the shrubs and 4 fruit trees on an automatic drip irrigation system.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
JulieV.....are there any tell tale signs that one can figure out how old a house is? Ours is plaster, not dry wall....It's old. I love it to extreme. Our other house was about 50 some years old but in WAY worse shape than this one! They have also added an addition on this one for the bathroom and laundry.....

WayneT.....I as well grew potatoes in the tyres last year! Awesome out come. Wasnt too sure if it would work but being as I wasnt allowed to have a garden it was the next best thing to try! If I had to do it again I certainly would!!!
I can't answer you on this one. I was just old the house was built in 1870. I'm not experienced to answer. This house has a wood stove in one of the bedrooms and a very narrow hallway upstairs. The garage looks very weathered. I wish I knew more, but I only know what the town has told me. :?

Tags
None