"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Does anyone grow their own vegetables?

Do any of you grow our own vegetables? If so, what, what varieties, how well did you do, and what is your climate ?

Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

Great topic darkstream. Unfort., I haven't been able to because of all the trees on my property I don't get enough sun. House is up for sale and I can't wait to find one where I can have a good size garden.

I hope you don't mind but I'd like to also ask those who have grown their own vegs to give us beginners some advice.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #3

Re: Does anyone grow their own vegetables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream
Do any of you grow our own vegetables? If so, what, what varieties, how well did you do, and what is your climate ?
Well, currently, I can't! :( Next year I'll be able to, because I'll be in my new/old house. I want to grow cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, green beans, carrots, gr peppers, and I think that's it.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yes.

Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, lettuce, zucchini, carrots, collards, okra brussel spouts and some other stuff. Lots of herbs -- basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, cilantro, lemongrass, thyme, etc. etc.

New England.

My tomatoes and peppers, rosemary, parsley and thyme are still going strong.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I just moved into a new/old house where they are going to let me put in a garden!!! Wooo HOoooo I can not wait...my last place wouldnt let me because "she" doesn't like them.....anyways, im planning on doing two plots...one for just potatoes..we easily eat 20 lbs a week....and the other for carrots, peas, ,lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, i might try some honey dew or cantelope...they need lots and lots of heat, so i dont know.....I may even do some corn along with the potatoes....I'd love to do brocolli but last year told me that I have NO idea how to be successful in this, ,and of course I need to grow me self some onions....

A key thing in doing gardens is rotating every year....get a good book, Lois Hole is very good at this....theres also one that Readers Digest offers, I cant think of the name at the moment but they also list all the zones in which certain things will grow well in. Another thing I plan on doing this year is a compost pile....great stuff in them for your veggies....

And well thats all my brain is going to let me think about right now....
Old 11-03-2004, 12:32 PM   #6

oh that's right.. I forgot fresh herbs... especially basil... I LOVE the smell!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Master Chef

Oh yea I grew herbs also on the outside windowseal......basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, chives, and thyme. The next house I plan to do a herb garden.

I used to watch Pauls Homegrown Show.....I think thats what its called.....anyway I liked how he made his rows and they sat up high. He too used his own composte.

I want to grow red tomatoes.....hopefully I'll be lucky enough to pick out a really flavorful bunch....., cherry tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, onions, garlic, sugar snap peas, green beans, carrots, radishes, butternut squash, jalepenos, leaf lettuce, and cabbage.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

darkstream, i have a approx. a 4 meter by 10 meter garden, in which this year i grew: tomatoes (roma, big boy, early girl, grape, and a variety of macedonian heirloom my neighbor gives me seeds for), beets(detroit dark red, early wonder), zucchini, yellow squash, giant pumpkins, peppers (jalapeno, habanero, cayenne, hot cherry, red giant bell, corno do toro, and regular ol green/red bell), radishes (icicle, early scarlet), cucumbers (burpless, straight 8), carrots (danvers half long, scarlet nantes), roquette/arrugula, sugar snap and snow peas, and lettuces (mesculun mix, big leaf mix, romaine).

i also grew, in a seperate herb area, approx 1 meter by 5 meters, i grew: basil (sweet, genovese, purple ruffle, thai), english thyme, flat leaf parsley, cilantro, sage, celery root, and a wild variety of mint. oh, and i can't forget the catnip. my neighbor's entire yard became catnip after i palnted some in my garden, lol.

i had great success with everything his year, because i took last year off, and the previous fall i spread several cubic yards of compost, another several cubic yards of peat moss, and organic bird poop fertilizer, and lime. i also started this year with several cubic yards of compost and worm castings. my compost pile was not disturbed for a year, just added on to, so the worms did a great job on the bottom several feet.

the only recurring problem i have is with powdery mildew, because i have a huge apple tree, and i compost the apples. too much moisture helps create the problem with the mildew. it usually gets my squahes and pumpkins, but i fight it with applications of powdered sulfer.

i also have problems with a maggot that attacks peppers, burrowing in thru a tiny hole, then eating the pith inside, which rots the pepper. i have yet to identify the pest, and find an organic way of fighting them...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
I just moved into a new/old house where they are going to let me put in a garden!!! Wooo HOoooo I can not wait...my last place wouldnt let me because "she" doesn't like them.....anyways, im planning on doing two plots...one for just potatoes..we easily eat 20 lbs a week....and the other for carrots, peas, ,lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, i might try some honey dew or cantelope...they need lots and lots of heat, so i dont know.....I may even do some corn along with the potatoes....I'd love to do brocolli but last year told me that I have NO idea how to be successful in this, ,and of course I need to grow me self some onions....

A key thing in doing gardens is rotating every year....get a good book, Lois Hole is very good at this....theres also one that Readers Digest offers, I cant think of the name at the moment but they also list all the zones in which certain things will grow well in. Another thing I plan on doing this year is a compost pile....great stuff in them for your veggies....

And well thats all my brain is going to let me think about right now....
well, my house was built in 1870... I love it.. it's so charming... it's gotta have some work, but not that much. I know right where I'm going to have my garden... right behind the garage (which used to be used for horses/carriages). I have always had a fondness for old houses, etc. I can't wait!
Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
I just moved into a new/old house where they are going to let me put in a garden!!! Wooo HOoooo I can not wait . . . my last place wouldnt let me because "she" doesn't like them. . . anyways, im planning on doing two plots...one for just potatoes . . . we easily eat 20 lbs a week . . .
I am growing potatoes at the moment. I grow them in old car tyres. Very successful.

Potatoes In Tyres

Normal Way
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................The tyre Method

Get 4-6 Tyres and place two on the ground one on top of the other. Next, fill them with good quality, fertile garden loam, and plant two or three seed Potatoes (old potatoes that you have that has grown shoots are good for this).

When adding more tyres and soil just leave a couple of inches of the potato tops sticking out.
As the plants grow and shoots appear, add more Tyres to the top of the stack and more soil around the plants, until you have a cylinder of 4-6 tyres.
The potatoes will form inside the tyres and may be harvested as usual when the plant dies back at the end of the season.
To stop water collecting in the sides of the tyres drill a few holes in the tyre walls

There is a stack more info on the net regarding fertilizing etc. but it is pretty straight forward. The tyres can be painted to jazz up the garden area etc. I am now going to try some other veges in this fashion. Two tyres should be OK for most.

.................................................. .........................................

Tomatoes

When planting out tomato seedlings plant down about an extra inch or so of the stem. This helps give a nice stable plant as roots will readily grow from the newly buried portion of stem.

When pruning or pinching out side stems if at all, REPLANT these in pots as they will readily strike saving on buying more seedlings. So if you see a new variety of tomato in the store just buy one and devide it up. Saves a bit of cash.

I grow tomatoes in the winter in pots or styrene vege boxes. Put a couple of stakes around as a fram and attach some Bubble wrap around. insulates and lets light in.

Tags
None