"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Favorite Vegetarian Entrees?

Someone else just joined today who is looking for vegetarian recipe ideas and I have been looking for the same. I thought I'd start by asking the seasoned chefs here what their favorite vegetarian entrees are? I'd like to have some ideas for recipes to look up, because if you just look up "vegetarian dish" or "vegetarian entree" you get overwhelmed with results and don't know where to start.

So for those of you who cook vegan or vegetarian regularly, what are your favorites?

The only one I know (that's an entree) is eggplant lasagna.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Head Chef

Here's a quick and simple one I made the other day:

1.5 c red lentils
can of fire roasted tomatoes (or fresh ones roasted in the oven for a bit with olive oil and a little salt until they are slightly charred)
About 2 c vegetable broth / stock
onion
garlic
serrano or jalapeno pepper
juice from a small lemon

I softened the onion, garlic and pepper in about 1T olive oil and 1T butter over medium heat. Then I dumped everything else into the pot and brought it to a boil. I turned the heat down to low so it would simmer for about 45 minutes or so. Check it about mid-way through and add more water / broth if needed. I squeeze the lemon juice in as I take it off the heat. I like to serve it over brown rice and add some of my favorite Sriracha to it.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Someone else just joined today who is looking for vegetarian recipe ideas and I have been looking for the same. I thought I'd start by asking the seasoned chefs here what their favorite vegetarian entrees are? I'd like to have some ideas for recipes to look up, because if you just look up "vegetarian dish" or "vegetarian entree" you get overwhelmed with results and don't know where to start.

So for those of you who cook vegan or vegetarian regularly, what are your favorites?

The only one I know (that's an entree) is eggplant lasagna.
I have a few dishes that I make meatless. My favorite is Red Beans and Rice.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
One of my all time favorites is super basic

Spaghetti noodles
herbs (off the top of my head I can't recall what I used for the dish)
3 cloves of garlic, steamed broccoli and extra virgin olive oil.
and a large tomato that I put under the broiler until nice,flat and the sugars caramelized. salt, pepper and a small bit of Parmesan cheese (or home made cashew "parm") it's nothing fancy but we loved it.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
Head Chef

I like doing an ad hoc veggie stir fry occasionally and use whatever is available like mushrooms, bell peppers, green onions, broccoli and have to include snow peas. I also like making it spicy using chili oil etc. so that does tend to cut out a number of diners to share!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Head Chef

ooooh Here's a great one that I think I made at least once a week last summer; I can't remember where I found this recipe at though, on a blog somewhere out there I'm sure:

Tomatoes Filled with Rice

Cut off the tops and scoop the insides out of four large tomatoes, saving all the juice and seeds. Chop the scooped out tomato into small bits.

Dice a small onion, or a quarter of a Vidalia onion, and saute it gently in olive oil.

After it has softened, add 1/3 cup of arborio rice to the pan and stir that around for a few minutes.

Chop the tomato pulp and add all of it, plus 1/3 cup of water, to the onion and rice, fold in a few torn basil or oregano leaves and a good sprinkling of salt, lower the heat and simmer the rice, covered, for 10 minutes.

Heat your oven to 350 degrees, spoon the par-cooked rice into the tomatoes, put them in a small, oiled baking dish, top them a few breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil, and bake for an hour and 15 minutes.

The tomatoes will shrivel a bit and become incredibly fragrant and sweet. Let them cool for a bit before eating. The rice is hot and sludgy and delectable and the tomatoes are sweet and caramelized.

Forgot to add: Although it's perfect alone, it is also spectacular over pasta if you want a more substantial meal.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Senior Cook

hi everybody, have u ever tried 'polenta? it's very good and rich of vitamins and carboidrats and u can combine to a lot of sauces. the preparation is easy (u can also find something on my blog, I'm dealing about this in these days).
I write here the main recipe:
500 gr corn maize flour, 1 and 1/3 liter water and salt.You can also add more water, if you like a smoother polenta (in this case use 2 liters water).
Anyway you can add water during cooking, if you notice that it's too sticky, the most importanta thing is to add hot water, not cold!
The preparation of polenta is very, very easy: make water boil, drop the flour mixing well. That's it!
It takes 35-40 minutes to cook, but into supermarkets you'll easily find pre-cooked flour, so it'll take you 15-20 minutes as maximum.
One of the main problems are clots, to avoid them, drop the flour at the beginning of boiling, into the center of the sauce-pan, mixing energically (better if you use a wooed spoon).
Don't make water boil to high.
Polenta is ready when it comes off the hedges of sauce-pan, drop on a big cotton towel and serve with rag, fonduta cheese, sea food or vegetables.
greetings from Italy! Simona
Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Senior Cook

ho, I use to do this recipe during summer! I also fill with tunefish!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Executive Chef

This came out of a BA mag and we really like it.

BLACK BEAN, YELLOW PEPPER, AND CUMIN CHILI

6 tblsp olive oil
1 12-oz onion coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1 large yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 tblsp cumin seeds
4 tsp minced canned chipotle chilies
2-4 garlic cloves (to taste), chopped fine
3 15-oz cans black beans, well drained
2 14-1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
2 cups vegetable broth

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell
pepper, and cumin seeds. Saute until onion is soft and golden,
stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chipotles and garlic and
stir 30 seconds. Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, and
vegetable broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer
uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally,
about 30 minutes. Transfer 2 cups of chili to blender or processor.
Blend to coarse paste, return to pot. Simmer chili to thicken as
desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

We also have a vegetarian Mexican cookbook we bought by mistake. Got to read the fine print.

Craig
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Senior Cook

What about pho(sp?) soup? Does it have meat? I suppose the broth might be chicken base?

I've wanted to make a lasagna w/mushrooms, but it would also have cheese I guess.

Stuffed green peppers w/mushrooms, rice, and tomato sauce.

French onion soup!

Mushroom risotto

Dang, now I'm hungry!

Tags
vegetarian