"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

Claire; In my own humble opinion, integrity and honor are important traits that elevate one person above the mulling crowd. They are essential and too rare in this world. If everyone acted as honestly as you did in that situation, then we would get along so much better. I tip my hat to you, and nod my head in your direction.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Vegans are almost impossible to cook for, when you are cooking for a group you hafto make an entire diffrent meal just for them. I had a group come to the ranch for a seminar about 30 people and 2 vegans I did my best and bought soy milk and other things and also made them totally separate meals and they still were really ugly about it as their diet was more important than anyone else.I say if you are that hardcore bring a few things to make the cooks life a little easier.By the way I actually did a really good job for them.Just cause you are vegan does not mean you are special.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
Master Chef

We live in a world full of so many different people. What I know about all people is this: If you have special dietary requirements, first, you must let the host/hostess know ahead of time so that he/she can prepare. If those needs are for health or religeous reasons, then by all means, the host/hostess should be willing to accomidate your needs. However, don't expect your needs (unless for medical purposes) to be greater than anyone else's needs, especially if you throw your special dietary requirements on your host/hostess when you walk through the door. And even if circumstances causes this to happen, then you must be gracious and understanding, and indeed, should be willing to assist by offering to make a list of foods and cooking methods that are acceptable, and if possible, helping foot the bill for those special food items.

If you are invited to a person's house for a meal, and let the person who invited you know of your special dietary needs, then by all means, by virtue of the invitation, it is up to the host/hostess to accomodate you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both the giver and receiver must show respect and courtesy to each other, and all others present. Anything less is childish and self-centered. And I completely agree with jpmcgrew. No single person is more important than any other, except for the person making the meal. After all, what everyone eats is dependent on hte skill, and temperment of the cook.

In the Navy, there were three people you didn't get mad at you: the laundry crew, for they took care of your clothing, the corpsmen, they took care of your vaccination records, and the cooks. They made your meals. Nuff said.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I always ask beforehand if there is something they can't or don't eat. If they don't tell me, it isn't my problem.We had a young man visit us a few years ago whom I would never invite. He acted sulky, didn't eat anything and was totally disgruntled the entire visit. He came with a family member. I was glad when he left. I think that is the only person I've known who didn't like anything we had at any meal. I considered it was his problem, not mine. I tried everything and he was unhappy. He seemed to have made up his mind to be very rude.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The other thing is people who demand a special diet such as low cholesterol or vegetarian but when they see what every body else is eating they all of a sudden decide they can eat that.I had a man at the ranch want all low cholesterol food so I made it but if it was prime rib night,guess what. I have also cooked special vegie burgers for some young girls at another ranch I worked at, they where actually really good I used fine diced mushrooms'onion and other stuff spent quite some time on making them taste good but when the beef burgers came out.guess what.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Executive Chef

If your cooking something for a potluck/dinner party, and people have dietary restrictions, just make a card to put in front of the dish stating what is in the dish, this way anyone can make an informed decision, which leaves you off the hook.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #17
Master Chef

if i were a restaurant owner, yes, i'd say so, from the beginning, what my menu items were composed of.
if she is a pal prone to phases, uh-uh. i'd leave it unmentioned. causes potential/unnecessary frettting. did she wake up next day with anchovy paste & pesto hangovers?
if she's fine, & you're fine, let it be.

Tags
None