"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

Alix, this is pretty much how we made the butternut squash ravioli at work, complete with the sauce. However, we did use fresh pasta sheets, not won ton wrappers. You basically only need the filling and the sauce.

I forgot another idea I loved at the catering company - butternut squash and cranberry ravioli. You finely cube and saute the squash at the beginning and add fresh or frozen cranberries at the end. Otherwise normal risotto.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Mr. Greenjeans

I use 50/50 with potatoes and mash mash mash!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, just mashed with butter, salt and pepper, add a little cream if desired. I'm not into sweet squash or many sweets for that matter. This was my remedy for eating squash.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

what i like to do is peel it and cut it in large dice with some sweet potatoes melt butter brown sugar cinn nutmeg clove toss it all together and bake it for 40 min to and hour stiring about every 10 min. you get that carmel built up on it then with about 10 min left in cooking toss in some tart apples to offset the sweetness.. then finish with fresh mint..
Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
Senior Cook

This recipe belongs to Yottam Ottolenghi who uses 1 Kg butternut squash. It is a superbly tasting meal - memorable. :)

Baked acorn squash with dukka

A great veg starter, but also a great side dish with roast chicken, lamb or sausages. Serves four as a side dish.

tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
A handful of hazelnuts, toasted
tsp chilli flakes
tsp sea salt
1 small handful fresh mint leaves, finely shredded
1kg butternut, acorn or crown prince squash
3 tbsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. To make the dukka, warm the cumin and coriander in a small pan over a medium heat until they just begin to release their fragrance, then bash using a pestle and mortar until broken up but not too fine. Put the sesame seeds into the spice pan and warm until just golden. Add these to the spice mix, along with the hazelnuts, chilli and salt. Bash again until the nuts are broken up into small pieces, then stir in the mint.

Peel the squash, cut it into thick wedges and remove the fibres and seeds. Tip the squash into a bowl with the olive oil and toss until well covered. Add three to four tablespoons of dukka and toss again. Tip into a roasting tin and bake for 35-45 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Just before serving, sprinkle over a little more of the dukka.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Kinda like spicy squash 'fries'.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Omigosh. I just love Butternut Squash Risotto.

Cut the squash and peel and seed it, then cut into chunks and roast it with salt and pepper. Then stir the pieces into risotto. The texture contrast is astounding.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Undamaged mature butternut squash gourds keep well at cellar temperatures (50 - 65F) for upwards of 6 months. We enjoy it pureed and sweetened with a little honey and butter particularly as a side dish with turkey dinners and in the winter months when local fresh veggies are not available.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Those are fantastic ideas! Andy, really? These babies will winter well? I don't have to do anything to them? Just leave them and use them as is?

Love the ravioli filling idea too! Got a recipe?

Claire, I'll try adding some to my next stir fry. Thanks!

PrincessFiona, mashed? Really? Do I need to add anything except butter and salt?

Kadesma, how much molasses? Just a drizzle? That sounds quite good.

OK, I am also NOT a pumpkin pie girl, but my family loves it. I'm willing to try this as a sub, can anyone walk me through the prep? Basically boil til soft, mash, add spices and then do the pumpkin pie thing?
Akix I just take the bottle and pour it on in a thin drizzle and addion if you like ginger try adding some powdered giner with the cinnamon and also a tiny pinch of clove. The kids love this one.
kades
Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #20
Everymom

You guys are the absolute BEST! Thank you so much!

And major coolness that they keep so well. I had no idea they would keep that long.

I've saved this thread so that I can peruse it later and decide which ones to try first. I gotta say that the ravioli and risotto ideas are hitting the right note for me at the moment. That might be my first try.

Keep any and all ideas coming, I will post back what I tried and how it went over with the family.

Tags
None