"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Cook

Home fries?

OK, so when I was a kid, my mother would make what she called "home fries", but what she made doesn't match up with anything I see when I search "home fries"

She would slice the potatoes like potato chips, except thicker. She made them in her big, copper-bottomed frying pan, but I don't remember if she immersed them in oil and fried them like fried chicken, as they were soft, not crispy. If she did, it would have been in Wesson Oil, or Crisco.

There were onions, and bits of bacon in there, too.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

Some parts of the country call them Cottage Fries.

You can make them using raw potatoes or boiled potatoes. You can also make them on a baking sheet in the oven.

I used to make them in a cast iron frying pan with canola oil. I used enough oil to come about halfway up the sides of the potato slices when I cooked raw potatoes and just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan when I used cooked potatoes. The trick, for me, is to get the oil hot, add the potatoes and leave them alone to cook for several minutes before flipping them. Most people are in a hurry and want to keep moving them around the pan. It takes me a good half hour to get them brown and crispy on both sides. If you pay attention the sound of the oil and the bubbles will change as the potatoes release moisture and begin to get crispy. Like anything else it takes some practice.

I never added peppers or onions to them. The other vegetables tend to burn before the potatoes are cooked to suit me. I have cooked them with bacon fat and oil, not bacon bits though. To get some onion flavor I shake onion salt or onion powder on them when they are finished along with salt and pepper. I never put anything in the pot other than the oil and potatoes.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Typically, home fries are made with cubes/chunks of potato slowly fried in a little fat (not like fried chicken) with onions. You can also add mushrooms, bacon, etc. If you use raw potatoes, you have to cook them more slowly. The object is to get a dark crust on the potatoes.

I often cube potatoes and toss them with a little oil then nuke them for a few minutes to speed up the cooking process.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Master Chef

I use a mandolin to slice raw potato. If I add onions or mushrooms, peppers I dice and saute them before hand till just soft. MIx into potatoes, a little bit of salt. Oil to cover the bottom of the pan, preheat and then add potato. Cover and cook at medium until potato is soft then open and let it get nice golden brown crust, You can turn the heat up a bit, but do not burn the potato. When the first side is fried, cover the pan with a nice fitting lid, flip the pan over, put it back on fire and slide the potato back into the pan. Add some more oil around the pan. let the second side fry till golden brown. Do not stir, do not bother the potato. Just wait. When ready slide on the plate. Add salt or other seasoning if it needs it.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

Aunt Bea is right.

You are describing cottage fries.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Aunt Bea is absolutely right.
I remember my mom used to fry sliced potatoes with onion on a cast iron. She would use maybe an 1/8 cup of oil, fry sliced onions until golden brown (about 5 minutes) on medium heat. While the onion is cooking, she would cut potatoes, soak them in a pot with cold water to prevent potatoes from browning. Then dry the potatoes and toss them in the pan with onion.
Everytime mom makes this dish.... the whole house smells like cooking heaven!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Cook

I found this recipe, which seems a lot more like what I remember, except no onions.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/fried-pot...306496026.html
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I use a mandolin to slice raw potato.
I am scared to death of those things. I'm a poker dealer, and a good cut or slice on either hand leaves me unable to work.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
I am scared to death of those things. I'm a poker dealer, and a good cut or slice on either hand leaves me unable to work.

Get a kevlar glove from Amazon. Nothing cuts through those babies.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Or use the safety guard.

When I think of fried potatoes, I think of home fries (or country fries) which are cubed, cottage fries (sliced), or hash browns (shredded). I love them all - never met a potato or way of making it that I didn't like.

Tags
None