"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Rutabaga Recipes

Anyone have any recipes for rutabaga ?

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I put them in my veggie soups once in awhile and I think you can roast them but... I don't have any other ideas. Good luck!!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Head Chef

I watched that 'impossible kitchen' show on food network, and he made as a side dish, a mashed rutabaga and carrot dish. I tried it at home and it was very good. Not sure of the amounts, but i make it a 50/ 50 rutabaga to carrot ratio. Boil them until they are soft enough to mash. Drain from the water. While still hot, add some butter , cream, salt, pepper and a little sugar ( i like it a little sweet, but if the carrots are sweet, u can omit this), and mash away until u get the consistency u like. I like mine a little chunky. Its a nice looking dish also, with the yellow/ orange mix. Ill be making it and bringing it to my moms house for thanksgiving next week.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Master Chef

I peel, cube and boil em' until fork tender. Drain, mash, add butter, milk and shredded colby cheese. Mash till you get desired consistancey. Salt & pepper to taste.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Head Chef

I steam or boil til tender, rice them, mash then add butter, salt and pepper. I don't want anything else interfering with the delicious flavor of this vegetable dish. Rutabagas also essential in making pasties. At least for this family.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I steam or boil til tender, rice them, mash then add butter, salt and pepper. I don't want anything else interfering with the delicious flavor of this vegetable dish. Rutabagas also essential in making pasties. At least for this family.
You make pasties in Vegas? I'm proud of you, girl. But rutabegas added to potato soup is wonderful. You can also put them in boiled dinner, beef stew, or simply mash, add a bit of salt and pepper, and some brown sugar. In the raw state, they can be grated and put in slaw, or sliced and boiled like beets. Add a bit of sugar and vinager, and maybe a touch of cloves. It's all good.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

Believe it or not, a restaurant once served them raw - cut into sticks - as part of a crudite platter with a dip. They were delicious, & we had to ask to have them identified.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I steam or boil til tender, rice them, mash then add butter, salt and pepper.
I do this, but then add in a pile of carmelized onions and continue to mash. Maybe add 1 T or two of cream, if I have it.

Delicious!

Lee
Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
You make pasties in Vegas? I'm proud of you, girl.
Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Goodweed, did you forget I was born and raised in Michigan? You know I spend the summer in Traverse City. Pasties are a staple there. LOL.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Head Chef

Root Vegetable Puree:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Root-Vegetable-Puree-10791]Root Vegetable Puree from Epicurious[/url]

My best friend made this for Thanksgiving one year and I had never eaten anything like it. It is really easy and quite tasty.

Tags
None