"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I think I'll try a variety of the methods and test which produce the best results. Also, depending on what I decide for dinner (the jury is still out) I may make some poppers, a delicious way to preserve them in my stomach!

BTW, I've been freezing Thai chilis since although I use them fairly often you get a really large amount per container (plastic wrapped styro tray) like my current one half a pound at $4.99/lb. I still face the issue of them going bad before I can use them all. Out of the freezer and thawed they're all rubbery although I think they taste about the same. I prefer them to be firm but there doesn't appear to be any way to preserve them that way. Perhaps a good idea would be to slice them into thin rings (my usual preparation) and freeze them that way and then I won't be faced with slicing rubbery chilis.

Maybe I'll slice and clean the jalapenos so they're popper ready. In fact I wonder how it would work to make the poppers, bacon, toothpick and all, then freeze them. In fact they might even work direct from freezer to oven. Any opinions on that?
It should work, cheese doesn't freeze solid so it will still melt. Just wrap them airtight.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I ended up (a.) eating some poppers, (b.) cut some in half, removed the seeds and froze them for future poppers, (c.) roasted 2 whole under the broiler, skinned and chopped them, and (d.) found 1 left when I was cleaning up so I removed part of the insides and minced it.

The ones I roasted, peeled and shopped turned into a rough puree and looks like it will be good to use in recipes. I won't know more until I've used some of the various processed jalapenos I've made. At least they're not all going wrinkly on the counter and making me wonder why I bought so many. They're really inexpensive though, IIRC 3 pounds for a dollar.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Master Chef

This thread reminded me that I'm out of pickled Jalapeno's. Made a fresh batch today, Yum!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Executive Chef

How about a short version of how you pickle your jalapenos?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
How about a short version of how you pickle your jalapenos?
Easy as pie! Wash and slice Jalapeno's. Bring a mix of half water half white grape vinegar to a boil. Add about a tsp of sea salt or kosher salt for each cup of vinegar and 2 tsps of sugar. Add a few mustard seeds and coriander seeds. Add jalapeno's to vinegar mix, simmer for 2-5 mins. Jar and seal. Allow to cool and refridgerate till needed.

Ask me again tomorrow and I'll give you another way I don't use recipes much, cook by instinct and taste

Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Easy as pie! Wash and slice Jalapeno's. Bring a mix of half water half white grape vinegar to a boil. Add about a tsp of sea salt or kosher salt for each cup of vinegar and 2 tsps of sugar. Add a few mustard seeds and coriander seeds. Add jalapeno's to vinegar mix, simmer for 2-5 mins. Jar and seal. Allow to cool and refridgerate till needed.

Ask me again tomorrow and I'll give you another way I don't use recipes much, cook by instinct and taste
Copied and pasted. I waste jalapeņos far too often.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Copied and pasted. I waste jalapeņos far too often.
Enjoy
P.S Change the spices to your taste, I change them often. I sometimes add paprika, a few sliced onions, a dash of cayenne, some garlic flakes etc. As long as you add the vinegar and salt you can play around with it a bit. Salt and vinegar help preserve the Jalapeno's.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
Master Chef

Since this is a Jalapeno thread I thought I'd just ask a quick question. Half of the Jalapeno's I pickled were ripe and red. I've never tasted the ripe ones. How are they? Does the taste differ much?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post

That's about what I expected. Add vinegar, sugar salt, and maybe some mustard. I amost did that.......
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I used to work with a guy who prided himself on pickling his own jalapenos. One day he came to work and told me had forgotten about some he had put up in jars. They had eaten through the metal lids. WOW. One drop of that stuff was well let's just say. FIRE!

Tags
None