"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Chief, you're asking an impossible question. What are 'perfect' mashed potatoes? Your idea of perfect differs from mine and many of the others who have posted. I posted my method and I'm happy with the result. Are they perfect? Compared to what?

You suggest in the first paragraph of the previous post that a ricer cannot yield PMP. You also suggest PMP requires more than one variety of potato.

One of MY criteria for PMP is that they don't require a lot of fuss. They're mashed potatoes for crying out loud!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
One of MY criteria for PMP is that they don't require a lot of fuss.
+1 Some things just shouldn't be over-thought. <3

Russests or Yukons, butter, sour cream, milk, buttermilk (whichever or some each of two or all three), salt and pepper = perfection for us ~ and I don't peel 'em either!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
Master Chef

Sorry to have ruffled any feathers. I agree that as it is with all recipes, perfection is subjective. And as I previously posted, the information given me by all of you is superb. It gives me new variations to try. It also taught me much about which kinds of potatoes will help me achieve my goal.

A simple google search for "perfect mashed potatoes" gives many differing opinions as to what constitutes the perfect end product. And yet, there are constants. Over mixing results in something better used to put wall paper up, than to eat. Butter is a preferred flavor. Salt is an important flavor. Yellow fleshed potatoes are believed to be creamier, while russets, and potatoes like them tend to be fluffier.

What is perfect to me isn't as important as is the idea that we can all get new ideas to try, from threads like this. Andy, as I have stated before, you are one of those whose skill and knowledge I hold in high regard. Everyone else, you are equally talented, and show it by the high quality recipes and techniques you post on a regular basis.

I've said it before, and I'm saying it again; There is no better place to learn about food than on DC. And it's that desire to excel, and to share what we know that makes this place great.

Perfection, it just might be a packet of your favorite brand of instant smashed spuds. And that's ok. But then again, just as my wife's version of perfect sloppy joes is in a whole different dimension than my idea of the same dish, so to it is with mashed potatoes. Perfection is subjective. And I'm trying to discover the perfect mashed potato recipe for me. If others think it's wonderful also, so much the better. All we can ever do, and what we should always do, IMHO, is try to improve what we know, and out techniques. I'll never stop trying to do that.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with you Chief and YOu Andy. We are all intitled to what we feel are perfect mashed spuds. I like to add mascarpone and cream cheese to mine as well as garlic that has been softened to where they can be crushed with a fork after cooking in cream, I often use yukon golds and russets together and we all love them. Then there are times when we use a box pf spuds with lots of butter and add crispy bacon to them. so what is right? to me something that makes my family say oh that was good ma.
kades
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I like lumps in mine. I also like the skins still on. If I plan on making lefse, I will peel the potatoes. And, the mashed potatoes get put through the ricer the next day (we use leftover mashed potatoes for lefse). I guess I'm in the "they are mashed potatoes" camp. I just like mine with milk (or buttermilk) and butter, S&P. And, I use whatever potatoes are on hand (which could be Kennebecs, Norlands, Russian Blues, or plain ol' PEI potatoes).
Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I like lumps in mine. I also like the skins still on. If I plan on making lefse, I will peel the potatoes. And, the mashed potatoes get put through the ricer the next day (we use leftover mashed potatoes for lefse). I guess I'm in the "they are mashed potatoes" camp. I just like mine with milk (or buttermilk) and butter, S&P. And, I use whatever potatoes are on hand (which could be Kennebecs, Norlands, Russian Blues, or plain ol' PEI potatoes).
I use whatever potatoes they had at the health food store. There is seldom a much variety in what organic potatoes are available on any given trip.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I often make mashed potatoes with just the "potato water", no milk. I have tried adding butter, but I feel that I taste the butter more if I add it at the time of eating. Using the potato water is a trick worth knowing if you know anyone who is lactose intolerant.
My mother used the potato water to make a slurry for thickening the gravy.
Just another use for something easily discarded
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I often make mashed potatoes with just the "potato water", no milk. I have tried adding butter, but I feel that I taste the butter more if I add it at the time of eating. Using the potato water is a trick worth knowing if you know anyone who is lactose intolerant.
Using the potato water is a trick my first husband taught me. It makes the potatoes look whiter. I prefer 'taters from PEI or Maine. It is what I grew up with and am very reluctant to change at this age.

There is an old saying in New England.

"Hi, what do you do for a living?"

"I am a farmer."

"Oh, and what do you farm?"

"Mostly rocks, then a few potatoes."

Now you know why we have all those stone walls that are so picturesque surrounding our property.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
Senior Cook

One of my favourite things about cooking is how subjective it is - one person's perfect spuds are totally different from another person's. I believe that is why people love sharing their recipes & techniques so much... there is so much variety to talk about, you never know what you might learn.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
Head Chef

Peel and steam the potatoes. Rinse halfway through cooking time, and put through a ricer. Don't overcook. Steam until fork-tender.

While I have not tried a combo of potatoes, I have added steamed mashed carrots & sauteed onions to the mix. Another combo I like is artichoke mashed potatoes. I add chopped artichokes, butter S&P, cream milk or half & half.

Tags
other, potatoes