"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Wow, what coincidence I'm doing zucchini, bell peppers and potatoes tonight!

This is definately one to print off, thanks for posting it marmalady!

p.s.
Squash, pumpkin and celery root are also all great when baked.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Wow, you're right; didn't even notice she didn't have those veggies! The squash and pumpkin I'd do at 30 minutes; celery - maybe? - 10?

Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
marm - I love roasted veggies in general - cauliflower, beets, turnips are some of my favorites.

I roasted a BUNCH of veggies one time - (broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, beets, shallots, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, can't remember what else - oh, carrots, zucchini, squash) made some penne, added some olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper to the penne in the bowl and then topped with these veggies - boy was it good! Roasted cauliflower is a treat and people who hate broccoli love roasted broccoli.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I loooooove roasted cauliflower, Elf! How do you cut yours? I cut big 'slabs' vertically down the whole cauliflower, about 1/2 inch thick.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
I loooooove roasted cauliflower, Elf! How do you cut yours? I cut big 'slabs' vertically down the whole cauliflower, about 1/2 inch thick.
I've never done that marm - I usually keep in fairly large clusters - same for the broccoli. I found out the hard way when I made the broccoli too small that they basically turn to "chips" lol Mind you, I liked the crispy texture - but I'd rather it not be! lol I am going to have to try it your way - sounds really good!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

marmalady! thanks - this is so helpful! I love roasted veggies - ALL of them. I love it when a thread gets bumped up...I might miss them otherwise!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
marmalady! thanks - this is so helpful! I love roasted veggies - ALL of them. I love it when a thread gets bumped up...I might miss them otherwise!
Why Miz Callie, I see you've become a sous chef..YEA
kadesma
Old 08-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Wow, you're right; didn't even notice she didn't have those veggies! The squash and pumpkin I'd do at 30 minutes; celery - maybe? - 10?
Yes, I do pumpkin and squashes for about 30-45 depending on how they are prepared and at what temp they are being baked. LOL, I had meant celery root also known as celeric, which takes about the same amount of time as a rutabaga, in the neighborhood of 30 minutes. But I do like my veggies really soft and well roasted with a crisp crust (if applicable) so I often leave things in at a much lower temp after the initial cooking.

Celery itself, I almost always bake in the juices from a bird (turkey, duck, chicken, etc) or along side a roast. I like to add them about 25 minutes before you take the meat out.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None