"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stuffing - cooking methods?

Geoffrey Zakarian cooked a turkey in a roaster on The Kitchen the other day. Skin was nice and crispy. My Nesco has a small hole in the lid for venting steam.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Doesn't that type of appliance steam the turkey instead of roasting it?
I have had turkey roasted in one of those things before and the skin was not crispy. They were not exactly great cooks either. Maybe thats why the skin was not crispy?
Nope, they roast. That's the only way Mom ever cooked a turkey, and they came out just the same as in an oven. Since the oven is required for so many other items common to Thanksgiving dinner, it was really convenient to do the bird in the roaster. It does limit the size that can be cooked, though. I know that although it's advertised to do a 20 pound turkey, we never could get the lid to fit over anything much bigger than about 16 pounds. I remember at least once that we had to sort of jerry rig a lid by adding foil around the gaps. It worked, but wasn't the most ideal solution, and the skin didn't get as crispy as normal. I think that it doesn't brown as well if it's overloaded.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Nope, they roast. That's the only way Mom ever cooked a turkey, and they came out just the same as in an oven. Since the oven is required for so many other items common to Thanksgiving dinner, it was really convenient to do the bird in the roaster. It does limit the size that can be cooked, though. I know that although it's advertised to do a 20 pound turkey, we never could get the lid to fit over anything much bigger than about 16 pounds. I remember at least once that we had to sort of jerry rig a lid by adding foil around the gaps. It worked, but wasn't the most ideal solution, and the skin didn't get as crispy as normal. I think that it doesn't brown as well if it's overloaded.
Got it! Thanks. I can sure see the help it would be when the oven is full and people are bringing in even more that needs heating.

Tags
other, stuffing, cooking