Crawfish etouffee as stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coda2020

Assistant Cook
I am a crawfish etouffee fan. It is a "last meal" dish for me.

This year I am looking to use crawfish etouffee as a stuffing for my bird and while I can find plenty of purchase options for prepared chickens or turducken with etouffee as the stuffing, I have not been able to find a recipe.

Etouffee, typically poured over rice or a pilaf, does not immediately translate into its use as a stuffing.

Do I cook the etouffee then combine with slightly undercooked rice and lightly cooked crawfish, mix it together and stuff the bird? Should it be thicker than usual?

Anyone who has suggestions on how to use an etouffee, or other non-bread-based stuffing for fowl will be the champion of my effort!

Thank you-

Stuart

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, Stuart. If I remember correctly, rice stuffings are made with fully cooked rice and some egg as a binder. But, I might well be mistaken.

I have seen recipes for stuffing that include oyster. I think one of those could probably be adapted to using the crawfish etouffee.

Thank you Much! I'll report back with results. This will be my first turducken effort, and as I do not care for cornbread, and found turduckens for sale with jambalaya, or etouffee as the stuffing, so the seed took root!

I've wondered why turducken even exists, a strange thing imo. :unsure:
It's fun to make once. I probably will never do it again, but I made individual turduckens 1 year using thigh and leg meat from each bird, using the breasts for other dishes. I used a cherry/pecan/wild rice stuffing for the duck, a cornbread/white bread stuffing for the chicken, and a bread cube stuffing for the turkey. They were pretty good, but a lot of work given the need to debone and make 3 stuffings.

I'd be interested in how the etouffe stuffing came out. Hope OP comes back to report. It is an interesting idea.

It's fun to make once. I probably will never do it again, but I made individual turduckens 1 year using thigh and leg meat from each bird, using the breasts for other dishes. I used a cherry/pecan/wild rice stuffing for the duck, a cornbread/white bread stuffing for the chicken, and a bread cube stuffing for the turkey. They were pretty good, but a lot of work given the need to debone and make 3 stuffings.

I'd be interested in how the etouffe stuffing came out. Hope OP comes back to report. It is an interesting idea.
Interesting, but I think I would still pass. I've been doing a pheasant ballotine this season, which is a little finicky and I'm bringing in chicken skin from my supplier and using that instead of the pheasant skin, it's too delicate and frustrating to work with for that application.

Yeah the etouffe stuffing could be delicious. Anytime you make a Cajun gravy with seafood and veg then mix it with rice has to be a winner.

Last edited:
Mom used to stuff pheasant somehow. I never had it but I remember her grumbling and Dad bragging about her skills.
Being hunters, they often gave me pheasant to take home when I visited. I used to cook them in a White sauce in a casserole. don't remember exactly other than it was delicious. Duck I did not care for, way too gamey for me, but domestic duck adn goose is positively wonderful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom